ADVERTISEMENT

Air Force playing a 2 game schedule

hawkeye54545

HR Legend
Gold Member
Apr 25, 2005
Sorry no link saw it on the Fox Sports crawl on the bottom of the screen.

They will play Navy and Army. I wonder how that was made OK by the Mountain West. I guess I'm fine with it because of the sacrifice they make to be a serviceman but wonder how kids from the other schools feel about it

They will play Navy and Army. I wonder how that was made OK by the Mountain West. I guess I'm fine with it because of the sacrifice they make to be a serviceman but wonder how kids from the other schools feel about it
Crap
Our whole military will be wiped out from football.

Do conferences have the authority to stop a member program from scheduling and playing a completely non-conference set of opponents? If not then USAFA is likely completely within its rights.

They're not playing any other MWC teams, so won't be "putting them at risk". And they have no intention of claiming any kind of defacto league title based solely on being the only team to take the field in any competitive capacity this year.

So it seems that unless the conference bylaws prohibit it, there's not much the MWC could do to stop them...short of attempting to "COVID shame" a U.S. military academy.

And of course that would be a PR disaster of Warren-esque proportions.

Missouri State, in UNI's conference, played Oklahoma on Saturday. The rest of their schedule includes 2 games against Central Arkansas.

Conferences don't control out of conference games unless they all agree they will only play a set number of games for the season

Reactions: Hawkfan_08

IMHO, anything short of an enthusiatic approval would be unacceptable, beit the service academy's respective conferences or anyone individually.

I attended the Air Force - Navy game two years ago. It was a great weekend on a magnificent campus, and the game atmosphere that Saturday was emotional (especially for those who appreciate and understand the sacrifices made by both players and the entire student bodies of both academies). The trip put football into perspective and made my list of memorable experiences. I'm glad they are keeping the tradition alive.

A plan that would have made perfect sense is having the following teams play one another twice, home and away. 8 game season. The tight controls these institutions already have in place would have made it work.

Navy
Army
Air Force
VMI
The Citidel.

Great opportunity for ex-Hawkeye Doug Laufenberg's son, Nolan, to get some valuable game film on file this season. Preseason 2nd Team All-American offensive lineman.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
A plan that would have made perfect sense is having the following teams play one another twice, home and away. 8 game season. The tight controls these institutions already have in place would have made it work.

Navy
Army
Air Force
VMI
The Citidel.

Believe it or not Virginia Tech and Texas A&M are also considered Senior Military colleges like VMI and The Citadel

Playing for the Commander in Chief Trophy which is a very big deal to the service academies. AFA should be able to handle Navy. Army will be the tough one to beat.

Missouri State, in UNI's conference, played Oklahoma on Saturday. The rest of their schedule includes 2 games against Central Arkansas.

Conferences don't control out of conference games unless they all agree they will only play a set number of games for the season
MVFC agreed that only conference games were cancelled and members were free to play their non-conference schedule.

Does that mean if they go 1/- they are bowl eligible with a .500 record? Matbe Iowa State can take that approach and if they ever get to .500 this season suddenly get bad covid results the rest of the season to keep the bowl streak alive.

ADVERTISEMENT