ADVERTISEMENT

air fryers

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
I love to cook outdoors but with dreary weather moving in, I am looking for something new. Air fryers seem to be very popular. Anyone have things they think are best done in an air fryer? Seems like breaded chicken and fries are popular.

I love to cook outdoors but with dreary weather moving in, I am looking for something new. Air fryers seem to be very popular. Anyone have things they think are best done in an air fryer? Seems like breaded chicken and fries are popular.

I spent some decent change on one about 5 months ago for the wifey. She has used it exactly 1 time. :rolleyes: She asked me to buy it for her. Granted she does most of the cooking so I can't complain TOO much.

We had a cheap one ($35-40) from AirWave or something like and it was great, but poor design had a screen in pan so after about a year it began to leak. So, we went with en expensive Cuisenart model and it wasn't nearly as good, so sold that to some sucker. Now have something similar to the first one only like $60-70 but don't recall the brand. Anyway... this new one seems pretty good. We like it for things like chicken strips, wings, fries, tots, pizza rolls, etc.

Frozen foods are amazing in in an air fryer. Other than that, its just a fancier microwave.

Reactions: Chuck C
Don't get me wrong the Ninja was great the one time we used it. I suppose we'll use it more this winter when I can't grill.

We had a cheap one ($35-40) from AirWave or something like and it was great, but poor design had a screen in pan so after about a year it began to leak. So, we went with en expensive Cuisenart model and it wasn't nearly as good, so sold that to some sucker. Now have something similar to the first one only like $60-70 but don't recall the brand. Anyway... this new one seems pretty good. We like it for things like chicken strips, wings, fries, tots, pizza rolls, etc.
Sam's is selling a 7 quart one for $99. Think I will get that and start within something simple like some type of breaded chicken or wings.

We have a Ninja and it works very well. My wife likes to cook chicken in there instead of the oven. She thinks it stays juicer that way.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
We spent around 125 for ours a little over a year ago. We love it and use it all the time.

I tried French fries from an air fryer and they didn't taste all that different to me over cooking them in an oven.

I cook a lot of boneless skinless chicken breast for lunches and the air fryer works awesome. Also great for Buffalo wings.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
I know this topic has been discussed before but, frankly, I'd like to have some discussion on this board that is not politics or COVID.

We've also been discussing buying an air fryer, instant pot, and/or a pizza oven like a pizzazz to make quick pizzas, chicken nuggets, etc for the kids. Seems not really going out to eat for months is getting old and we're looking for different cooking methods than grilling, smoking, crock pot, or a traditional stove/oven. Oh, and the wave, can't forget the wave.

Reactions: funksouljon
I know this topic has been discussed before but, frankly, I'd like to have some discussion on this board that is not politics or COVID.

We've also been discussing buying an air fryer, instant pot, and/or a pizza oven like a pizzazz to make quick pizzas, chicken nuggets, etc for the kids. Seems not really going out to eat for months is getting old and we're looking for different cooking methods than grilling, smoking, crock pot, or a traditional stove/oven. Oh, and the wave, can't forget the wave.

As I'm a hunch downer, I'd love a great recipe for my Ninja.

Instant Pot works great. Fast, convenient (one pot to clean), meats are juicy....

The pizzazz works great but it's not fast.

She thinks it stays juicer that way.
143e7d090751a20e53f844ecc2349c38.gif

I love ours. Use it for probably 50 percent or more of my meals. Wings are super good on them.

I got an instant pot/air fryer combination.

Frankly, the air fryer works a little better than I expected it to. There is a difference between the air fryer and a regular oven, but it nowhere approaches actually deep frying, and anyone who says it does is lying. I don't use it that much, because the marginal improvement over cooking/broiling isn't usually worth dealing with the much smaller space to use, and the hassle of cleaning the pieces, and anything I care about enough, I'll actually deep fry.

If I had a larger one that accommodated more food, I might use it more. Or if I didn't have a deep fryer I wasn't afraid to use. It was worth getting for the extra $50 when I got the instant pot, probably.

The instant pot I use a fair amount, more than I expected because I don't do many of the things it's lauded for...rice, soups, stews, etc. But I do like that I can throw a pork butt in for carnitas, or a chuck roast in for beef sandwiches, and knock it out in a hour and a half or something. I can't taste any difference vs cooking for 4-5 hours in the oven in a dutch oven, and requires less planning ahead and less oven time in the hot summer. Chicken breasts from frozen to shredded for tacos.

I've also done fake bbq ribs, where I cooked them in the instant pot from frozen, and then grilled them. They're not the real thing, but they're better than no ribs at all.

Overall, I'd consider the instant pot a little overhyped, there's a lot of recipes for things that are just plain easier and just as good by traditional means...just because you CAN cook it in the instant pot doesn't mean that it's any advantage one you deal with the size limitations, the depressurizing, the cleaning, etc. But I think it definitely serves some good purposes, and was a good investment. Being able to go straight from frozen to cooked is definitely a bit of a game changer.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
I use mine quite a bit. Anything frozen turns out good and quicker then the oven. I recently tried hot dogs and brats and was pleasantly surprised how well they turned out. They look like they were grilled.

Frozen foods, as stated by others, is better in the air fryer than baking / frying.

One thing not mentioned yet was using the air fryer for fish. Had salmon last night and walleye in the past - both turned out very well in the air fryer.

I got the Emeril one that does both. Really like it.

I use mine quite a bit. Anything frozen turns out good and quicker then the oven. I recently tried hot dogs and brats and was pleasantly surprised how well they turned out. They look like they were grilled.
Fresh brats or precooked? Just trying to get a feel what it can do. Did you do a low temperature?

My 11 year old daughter uses it a lot. It’s great and easy for her to throw in some chicken nuggets, fries, hash browns, etc for a quick snack or meal if we’re not around.

Fresh brats or precooked? Just trying to get a feel what it can do. Did you do a low temperature?
Well whatever you call Johnsonville beer brats that you get from your grocery store. Put the temp at 425 and they're done in about 10 minutes. They look like they do on the grill, but don't split open. They also didn't stink the house up either surprisingly. Highly recommend!!

Reactions: Hwki6sn
We have a Ninja and it works very well. My wife likes to cook chicken in there instead of the oven. She thinks it stays juicer that way.

Ok, when I read this post the first time I read, "My wife likes to cook children in there instead of the oven".

While that is obviously not what you wrote it would have led to a much more interesting thread.

CSB

I use ours a lot to make chicken nuggets, French fries, hot dogs and small pizza for the kids. I’ve even made pot pies and small frozen desserts. It’s great for the summer so no need to use oven.

perfect for reheating pizza too. Although I’m bad at cleaning it.

black-stainless-modernhome-deep-fryers-air-fryers-taf-747-64_1000.jpg

Well whatever you call Johnsonville beer brats that you get from your grocery store. Put the temp at 425 and they're done in about 10 minutes. They look like they do on the grill, but don't split open. They also didn't stink the house up either surprisingly. Highly recommend!!
So raw brats and not precooked? Very intriguing...

Reactions: Hawkman98
Go on... I’m trying to be less fat.
I get sauces like teriyaki, harissa, Kung pao, etc. and then chop up broccoli, onion, carrot, throw some peanuts in- mix them with a touch of sauce on them and air fry them at 400 for about 10 minutes. Then chop up some cooked chicken or cooked beef and throw it in for another 3-4 minutes. Bam - 15 minutes later you have stir fry chicken or beef.

I use one frequently in winter. Brats turn out nicely as do No Name hamburgers. My favorite are homemade fries. Cut, dust with fries seasoning and pop them in.

Ok, when I read this post the first time I read, "My wife likes to cook children in there instead of the oven".

While that is obviously not what you wrote it would have led to a much more interesting thread.

CSB
We cook the children in a caja china

Reactions: BioHawk
I have one and I never use it. There are better ways to do what it does a mediocre job doing. Waste of cabinet space.

Reactions: Nole Lou
@Nipigu is a bona fide food/gadgetry snob. Good enough for me. Wonder what @FSUTribe76 thinks of them.

My parents got me an air fryer about five years ago as a gift and it’s still in the original unopened packaging in my garage. Now part of that is because pre-Covid America I got plenty of fried food when I went out so I never fried food at home on purpose other than to make a fried oyster salad with red wine dressing that my wife absolutely loves. Post-Covid, I do actually fry about once or twice a week but it’s too easy and tasty to just fry it in my large cast iron pot.

I have thought about breaking the air fryer out, but so far it’s still resting on a shelf in the garage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT