ADVERTISEMENT

Airline Baggage Fees

SoDakHawk

HR Legend
Sep 14, 2006
I was reading an article that said last year airlines made nearly $5.3 billion on baggage fees. That number blew me away as I remember when there were no such things as baggage fees. Not remembering when those came into existence I Googled it and sure enough it was in 2008. Talk about a new source of revenue.

Got me to thinking about all the other nickel & dime fees that have come into existence over the years. Just seems like there is a fee for everything when often times it used to be part of the service. One that comes to mind is delivery fees for food. Used to be pizza places delivered for free and now every one of them charges a delivery fee. I remember that came about due to "high gas prices" a few years back and just never went away when gas prices went down. Hell, used to be able to get your pizza delivered in under 30 minutes guaranteed or it was free back in the 1980's.

What are some other fees that are charged these days that used to just be part of the service?

You may not believe this, but there was a time, when the price which was on a ticket for a sporting event or concert, was what one actually paid.

The "convenience" fee when buying a ticket to something online is the worst.

I don't mind the concept of a baggage fee, but the consequences are annoying. Everyone tries to pack carry on only, resulting in a annoying slow onboarding and offboarding experience.

Reactions: ericram and lucas80
Seems most getaways/trips/hotels now have resort fees, stuff that should b included in the price of your stay but now they get tagged w fees.

I don't go out to eat much since the pandemic, not because I avoid crowds or anything but because I thought the price of meals got out of control. I was back in Chicago last week to take my nephew to a long-delayed covid concert and took him out to dinner beforehand. Here is what I saw:

- Typical state and county taxes, Chicago's restaurant tax, and an additional tax for dining out in some zone that covers anywhere you would want to eat - almost 12%
- 3% "surcharge" whatever that means, added post-tax
- 4% charge for employee benefits, added post-tax
- 20% gratuity, added post-tax and post-surcharges

I'm not cheap, but I will not tip on tax. I won't pay a surcharge for God knows what and if you want your employees to have benefits, you pay for them. And, a 20% automatic gratuity for a party of 2 is ridiculous. If you earn it, I will tip 20% on the actual bill, I'm not paying a surcharge or tipping on a surcharge, I'm not paying a tax for your benefits and tipping for the privilege of doing so, and I will be the one that determines the tip. wtf.

This can't be normal everywhere, this is baked into the cost on the menu in NYC so you know what you're getting into

Airlines have perfected making air travel as inconvenient as possible and charging for the basics.

The "convenience" fee when buying a ticket to something online is the worst.

I don't mind the concept of a baggage fee, but the consequences are annoying. Everyone tries to pack carry on only, resulting in a annoying slow onboarding and offboarding experience.
Convenience fees really get me, too. Isn't doing it online cheaper for everyone involved?

Hell, used to be able to get your pizza delivered in under 30 minutes guaranteed or it was free back in the 1980's.
Then a delivery driver ran a red light and killed someone and there went that perk.

A lot of restaurants in Cedar Rapids have started listing a cash price in the menu, and then charging an additional percentage if you pay with credit card.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT