ADVERTISEMENT

Airport line crowders

The airlines think they make more money by charging everybody to check their bag, but it means their boarding process takes a lot longer, as well as the deplaning process. I often wonder if they couldn't squeeze in another 4-5 flights per week per aircraft if they just let us all check bags free of charge. That would be more money in their pockets and happier pax.

Reactions: artradley
The airlines think they make more money by charging everybody to check their bag, but it means their boarding process takes a lot longer, as well as the deplaning process. I often wonder if they couldn't squeeze in another 4-5 flights per week per aircraft if they just let us all check bags free of charge. That would be more money in their pockets and happier pax.
A peeve of mine is that the airline industry cited high fuel costs as justification for new baggage charges, and then when fuel prices receded they have kept or made worse the baggage fees. Bastards.

When I flew last month I had no carry on other than my kindle. It was great. Just walk on and sit down. If everyone flew that way we'd be on and off in minutes.

When I flew last month I had no carry on other than my kindle. It was great. Just walk on and sit down. If everyone flew that way we'd be on and off in minutes.

Checked bags should be free, if you carry on a bag over a certain size there should be a fee. The airlines have it totally backwards.

Spirit charges less for a carry on fee than they do for checked bags. I imagine that is to avoid some of the boarding and overhead storage problems that seem to always occur.

I think there's something about air travel that get a lot of people acting oddly. Gate crowding. Crowding the luggage pickup. Not thinking to prepare for security. Losing spatial awareness with their bags down the aisle. Abruptly stopping while walking the terminal to look at something. All sorts of semi-annoying behavior.

Agree 100% OP. The only people worse are those that instantly jump up once the plane has reached its gate, then barge ahead of their section. There is an orderly way to exit a plane. No, you are not more important than the rest of us. It’s quite possible they are the same losers lining up to board.

If people line up in an orderly fashion in their appropriate boarding group lines, what is the problem?

What’s annoying is when group 5 passengers crowd the gate.

Reactions: millah_22
i think it’s already been established they are sote. But the plane we will fly on isn’t even at the gate yet and these nimrods are lining up. It has to deplane, be cleaned, go through safety checks before they will start boarding. What is the purpose???

Apparently, it is to piss me off. Riddle me this. Why does someone feel the need to stand in the five foot space between me and the baggage carousel? I would love to deliver a death blow to the back of the skull of those jabronis also.

Checked bags should be free, if you carry on a bag over a certain size there should be a fee. The airlines have it totally backwards.
Ding ding!

That being said the line rarely bothers me from the nearest cocktail lounge. I tend to gentle last to board, unless in first class.

Reactions: Rudolph and dgordo
Spirit charges less for a carry on fee than they do for checked bags. I imagine that is to avoid some of the boarding and overhead storage problems that seem to always occur.

I think there's something about air travel that get a lot of people acting oddly. Gate crowding. Crowding the luggage pickup. Not thinking to prepare for security. Losing spatial awareness with their bags down the aisle. Abruptly stopping while walking the terminal to look at something. All sorts of semi-annoying behavior.

Add
Walking on the left
Just stopping in the middle of the terminal walkway
Texting while walking
Seat recliners
People who watch videos without headphones

I’ve been on too many planes lately and it’s starting to make me unreasonable, and the gin is not compensating enough.

Apparently, it is to piss me off. Riddle me this. Why does someone feel the need to stand in the five foot space between me and the baggage carousel? I would love to deliver a death blow to the back of the skull of those jabronis also.

See, that’s the rub. You either deal with gate crowders when you have a carry on and low boarding group or deal with carousel dorks on the back end when picking up checked bag. No win situation. Flying just generally brings out the worst in people and the airlines stupid procedures don’t help. At least someone got TSA pre-check right.

i think it’s already been established they are sote. But the plane we will fly on isn’t even at the gate yet and these nimrods are lining up. It has to deplane, be cleaned, go through safety checks before they will start boarding. What is the purpose???
I have never understood this practice. What's so exciting about getting on a plane 40 min before it leaves? If the overhead bins fill up, they will find a spot for your bag. You will find me at the bar until I hear the final boarding call.

People are stupid, there's nothing better then when they announce that the Elite status members can now board and you push your way through all those idiots.

I have never understood this practice. What's so exciting about getting on a plane 40 min before it leaves? If the overhead bins fill up, they will find a spot for your bag. You will find me at the bar until I hear the final boarding call.

Mr. Birch apparently thinks there is a prize for being first. I understand that the last passenger to board the plane still gets to fly just like the first one. We fight a lot at the airport.

Reading these makes my blood boil. I hate the people who are in group 9 and when the call group 1 they start walking towards the check in. You are behind them and they stop just short of the check in and look at their boarding pass. You don't wanna be a dick but can you get the F out of my way! A close second is the guy that grabs his stuff when arriving at the gate and walks 5 aisles up. Then when they ask those who are not connecting to stay seated and those with close connetion times can go, the whole plane thinks they have a close connection.

Then when they ask those who are not connecting to stay seated and those with close connetion times can go, the whole plane thinks they have a close connection.
I’ll let about 10 people go by early and then I’m getting off. Too many people in the back take it as an invitation to skip to the front. It’s pretty easy to tell who is truly in a hurry.

My parents went to Prague last summer and on their flight back they had a person that needed medical attention when the plane landed in Detroit. There were evidently several individuals who had the hardest time understanding why no one could be taken off the plane until the EMTs could provide treatment for and then help off the person with the medical emergency.

Not that big a problem for first class. We just shove our way through the peons and be sure not to get bitten by their goats.

First off, only poors fly commercial, but for the benefit of your poors, I'll point out two other types of SOTE fliers.

1. The people who stand up and hop in the aisle as soon as the plane engine turns off at the gate. Only those who have very tight connections should be doing this, everyone else should be waiting to deplane front to back in order. Of course they should manuever to get themselves ready to deplane prior to the exact moment they should be getting off to avoid holding up those behind them. Nothing worse than being trapped in the back of a plane with a nearly empty aisle to the front while some jackwad fiddles with their bag blocking everything.

2. When at baggage claim, DO NOT CROWD THE BELT! If everyone stands back 5 feet from the belt, everyone can easily get their bag when it comes along rather than trying to squeeze through the line of people blocking access to save your bag as it pulls you into the idiot who has to stand with their leg right up against the belt (which is gross anyway).

First off, only poors fly commercial, but for the benefit of your poors, I'll point out two other types of SOTE fliers.

1. The people who stand up and hop in the aisle as soon as the plane engine turns off at the gate. Only those who have very tight connections should be doing this, everyone else should be waiting to deplane front to back in order. Of course they should manuever to get themselves ready to deplane prior to the exact moment they should be getting off to avoid holding up those behind them. Nothing worse than being trapped in the back of a plane with a nearly empty aisle to the front while some jackwad fiddles with their bag blocking everything.

2. When at baggage claim, DO NOT CROWD THE BELT! If everyone stands back 5 feet from the belt, everyone can easily get their bag when it comes along rather than trying to squeeze through the line of people blocking access to save your bag as it pulls you into the idiot who has to stand with their leg right up against the belt (which is gross anyway).

Why the hell don't baggage claims have signs that state this 5 foot rule. I have wondered this for years.

I think a lot of people have a great deal of anxiety about airline travel. I think they are nervous and uncomfortable and this is what makes them stand up and crowd the gate. It is annoying but also somewhat understandable.
Either that or they love flying and are eager to board their magic carpet.

Center seat hell if you travel a lot, but can't plan your flights too far in advance.

Big Delta fan right now. That airline is really doing it right now.

Took Delta for the first time in years to Spain back in April, had a pretty decent experience despite no leg room. We are using them again Labor Day weekend for our annual trip to Southern California. The entertainment system is a nice plus. Snacks are pretty good too.

Took Delta for the first time in years to Spain back in April, had a pretty decent experience despite no leg room. We are using them again Labor Day weekend for our annual trip to Southern California. The entertainment system is a nice plus. Snacks are pretty good too.

Agree. Prices reasonable, on time most of the time. Newer planes (feels like).

Doesn't feel like an airline in the death rattle like American.

And prefer Atlanta and Salt Lake City over Chicago and Dallas for nearby hubs.

Reactions: jasonrann
Alaska is my airline of choice. Decent in-flight entertainment for free if you bring your phone or tablet. Just had to use it for direct flights from Seattle to Fort Lauderdale with no complaints or hiccups along the way.

Agree. Prices reasonable, on time most of the time. Newer planes (feels like).

Doesn't feel like an airline in the death rattle like American.

And prefer Atlanta and Salt Lake City over Chicago and Dallas for nearby hubs.

We were fortunate enough to get Comfort + seats for part of our Spain itinerary. That was fantastic. I appreciate any airline that offers extra leg room seats. United does as well and I just finished up six frequent flyer trips with them. I would love to splurge for the Comfort + for California, but we're paying for the mother and father in law to come along to help with child care. Didn't want to bite the bullet on five seats.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT