ADVERTISEMENT

Airport line crowders

After looking at passenger shaming for 30 seconds, I’m starting to reconsider all future air travel. Yikes.

Ohhhh.... you need me to take off my belt? Ok, What? My shoes too? Oh, ok. Yes, I have a laptop, why? Oh, really? No, it's just a bottle of water. Seriously? Hmmmm... who knew?

Are there really people who have never flown? Or have never heard stories about airport security? Or maybe didn't do a little research before flying for the 1st time after having never heard any security stories?

Never, ever get in a security line behind parents with young children.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Add
Walking on the left
Just stopping in the middle of the terminal walkway
Texting while walking
Seat recliners
People who watch videos without headphones

I’ve been on too many planes lately and it’s starting to make me unreasonable, and the gin is not compensating enough.
Yeah, travel has become more affordable and so now airplanes and airports are being filled with all sorts of peeps .. Add in our general belief now that the world revolves around "me" and I can do whatever in the hell it is I want to do ... and it makes for a fun flying experience. :eek::mad::)

Reactions: St. Louis Hawk
There were evidently several individuals who had the hardest time understanding why no one could be taken off the plane until the EMTs could provide treatment for and then help off the person with the medical emergency.
Sadly ... this does not surprise me one bit. Our society is filled with self-centered idiots and our 24/7 social media world only encourages us to be bigger aholes ..

I checked out @passengershaming and was reminded of another type of loser, and in this case it was the actual poster:

The person who complains about seat reclining. Look, here's the deal, when your seat reclines, you have the right to recline it. If the person in front of you reclines theirs, and you don't want to lose any space, recline yours! do not under any circumstances tell the person in front of you not to recline their seat.
If you recline your seat, you're an ahole and will get constant knee and elbow bumps your entire flight until you realize you better put it up.

Reclining seat doesn't help with the tray table situation. Basically makes it unusable for laptop or eating.
giphy.gif

Just flew back from Poland yesterday. Some thoughts:

Gate lice were terrible. Yes, gate attendants had boarding pass numbers posted and sectioned but appeared no one paid attention. I'm in #1 and several in front of me were booted / shamed into not being able to board. You'd think people still in the line would recognize this and try to meld quietly into their correct spot, but this was repeated throughout. Kudos to the attendants who eventually just stopped admitting people and blurted something in Polish on the intercom. Wasn't sure if there were continued offenders afterwards as I was boarded a few seconds later. A statement earlier from them might have avoided the situation, or posting the numbers in a higher / more visible location compared to waist height might have helped.

If you got kids, they all don't need a big carry-on too, especially if they're 3 and cannot actually move the damned thing. I understand that your genetic limitation to two arms and mismanaged priorities means your own 40 lb carry on and the stroller represents an inability to control them.

Another note - if you ain't strong enough to put the carry-on in the overhead, either pack lighter or lift some damned weights. What is not acceptable is failing to firmly grab it, fail a push press and letting the busting-at-the-seams suitcase hit some poor schmuck who is already seated with it on top of the head.

I don't blame recliners really, although I rarely do it myself. People are bigger with bigger waists and comfort over several hours is going to win. Yesterday I was in the back row of Premium so there was no one behind me to interrupt/impede.

Never, ever get in a security line behind parents with young children.

My six year old son is a better air traveler than 90% of the adults I encounter. He’s efficient, knows where to go and what to do, and minds his own business.

I checked out @passengershaming and was reminded of another type of loser, and in this case it was the actual poster:

The person who complains about seat reclining. Look, here's the deal, when your seat reclines, you have the right to recline it. If the person in front of you reclines theirs, and you don't want to lose any space, recline yours! do not under any circumstances tell the person in front of you not to recline their seat.
If you recline your seat, you're an ahole and will get constant knee and elbow bumps your entire flight until you realize you better put it up.
I agree, I’ve had flights where the person in front of me had their head right below my chin when they reclined. Incredibly rude.

I agree, I’ve had flights where the person in front of me had their head right below my chin when they reclined. Incredibly rude.
1. props to you for not being an a-hole to them.
2. And you chose to do nothing about it by putting your own seat back? The button is on your chair, because it's your right to control it.

1. props to you for not being an a-hole to them.
2. And you chose to do nothing about it by putting your own seat back? The button is on your chair, because it's your right to control it.
I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you a fierce advocate of the zipper merge in construction zones in an attempt to justify you passing everyone in the lane that is to be closed and then forcing your way into the other lane right as your lane ends.

First off, only poors fly commercial, but for the benefit of your poors, I'll point out two other types of SOTE fliers.

1. The people who stand up and hop in the aisle as soon as the plane engine turns off at the gate. Only those who have very tight connections should be doing this....

I do this all the time. I'm boxing out all the douche bags behind me who think they can sprint to the front of the plane to get off faster.

The jump into the aisle and try to move forward seems to be much worse among Chinese and Indians. I wonder if it's something culturally where waiting for your turn in line just isn't practiced.

I notice it too when waiting in line for anything (security, immigration, attractions). I tend to give the person in front of me 3-4 feet of space because I know I will be waiting just as long if I gave them 6 inches of space.

Chinese and Indians tend to stand right behind me and get anxious with a gap. To the point their bags or arms will hit me when they turn.

Incredibly annoying.

This is correct. Remember they come from the most populous nations in the world. Everywhere is crowded. Coworker is Indian. We will be waiting to board a shuttle bus from the hotel to the convention center for work. She jumps right to the front of the line bypassing like 20 people. If you point it out to her she will be ashamed about it because she realizes it's a faux pas. However, it's an honest mistake. She doesn't derive satisfaction from beating everyone. It's a subconscious maneuver that she honestly doesn't even think about until someone points it out to her.

Reclining seat doesn't help with the tray table situation. Basically makes it unusable for laptop or eating.

I had some guy recline his seat and neatly destroy my laptop. The top of the tray table area literally came down square on the top of my laptop screen. The screen became discolored and started to flex.

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you a fierce advocate of the zipper merge in construction zones in an attempt to justify you passing everyone in the lane that is to be closed and then forcing your way into the other lane right as your lane ends.

Whoa, slow your roll there...no need putting those that follow the DOT's recommended zipper merge method in the same category as inconsiderate short people who recline their seats on airplanes.

The jump into the aisle and try to move forward seems to be much worse among Chinese and Indians. I wonder if it's something culturally where waiting for your turn in line just isn't practiced.

I notice it too when waiting in line for anything (security, immigration, attractions). I tend to give the person in front of me 3-4 feet of space because I know I will be waiting just as long if I gave them 6 inches of space.

Chinese and Indians tend to stand right behind me and get anxious with a gap. To the point their bags or arms will hit me when they turn.

Incredibly annoying.

Unfortunately, it is. I traveled to China for work probably about ten times up until eight years ago. They do not wait for ANYBODY, it is every person for themselves. It applies to boarding the flight, getting off after landing, on/off the subway, on/off escalators, driving, etc. I can remember many times where I would give up my seat on the subway to an older person. Locals don't do that.

The funny thing is, the people we would visit 100% took care of us. They made sure we had transportation, a great hotel and whatever we needed while we were there. Lunch and dinner were multiple hour events filled with laughter, drinking, great food and a lot of fun. I had some great times over there, but the logistics were never part of the fun. It wears you down after a while.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
Whoa, slow your roll there...no need putting those that follow the DOT's recommended zipper merge method in the same category as inconsiderate short people who recline their seats on airplanes.
I suppose it comes down to how you define "zipper merge." When you see the signs below, do you zipper your way over to the first open spot in the free lane you see or do you drive right up to the where the barricades slant in and then "zipper" in?

750939912.jpg

5416.JPG

Depends. In Minnesota, there are signs saying to use both lanes and then take turns at the merge, so that is what I do. In the absence of signs directing the use of both lanes until the merge, I get over when there is an opening. A true zipper merge uses both lanes until the merge point. When people merge over early, they are slowing things down and screwing over the people who were originally in the lane being merged into.

Anyway, back on topic, zipper merging and seat recliners don't belong in the same category.

Depends. In Minnesota, there are signs saying to use both lanes and then take turns at the merge, so that is what I do. In the absence of signs directing the use of both lanes until the merge, I get over when there is an opening. A true zipper merge uses both lanes until the merge point. When people merge over early, they are slowing things down and screwing over the people who were originally in the lane being merged into.
I know minny has its own rules, but the "true zipper merge" makes no sense. If you're cruising along at 65 mph you're not going to merge at the last second going 65 mph, you slow down. Then you slowing down making a move makes everyone else slows down, thereby slowing down everyone behind you. Letting assholes in who wait for the last true zipper point at the barriers is what slows everything down. If people maintained speed and then merged in gently well in advance of the barriers, traffic would flow much smoother.

Reactions: jasonrann
I know minny has its own rules, but the "true zipper merge" makes no sense. If you're cruising along at 65 mph you're not going to merge at the last second going 65 mph, you slow down. Then you slowing down making a move makes everyone else slows down, thereby slowing down everyone behind you. Letting assholes in who wait for the last true zipper point at the barriers is what slows everything down. If people maintained speed and then merged in gently well in advance of the barriers, traffic would flow much smoother.

Strange example.
When is the last time you saw any traffic moving at more than 35 mph, much less 65 mph at a merge, other than freeway on ramps?
If everyone used the zipper merge, traffic would flow much smoother.

Reactions: MplsHawk
ADVERTISEMENT