AJ Epenesa

When does AJ become a starter?

• Sometime this fall

Votes: 123 49.0%

Votes: 111 44.2%

Votes: 17 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most Iowa D lineman get around 40 or so snaps per game. He was in the mid to upper 30's by the end of the season. He was not a 3 down player last year...not saying he can't be this year. Being a defensive type guy....my eyes could not leave him last year on every snap. The last Iowa player that did that to me was Matt Roth. I hope he returns punts!!! The dude is a game changer and someone that has the opponent taking time each week to game plan...that is a good thing.

The voting indicates most people think he will be a starter sometime this year. Is that your feeling?

figure-skating-casual-portrait-of-tonya-harding-with-husband-jeff-picture-id81475245

When this guy’s friends pay Hesse a ‘visit’.

THIS IS A DAMN FINE POST RIGHT HERE.

I'm guessing most people missed it.

Reactions: pacnorthhawkeye
I see
Roth was a nut job and you could physically see the fear the O-lineman had across from him. I remember the Wisconsin game his senior year and he dominated every single snap. Do not know the record for personal foul yardage by one guy but he has to be right up there......loved it though
I see That same nut job at times in linderbaum

2002-03. Hillcrest dormitory. I step on the elevator and see Matt Roth. I’m closest to the door. He’s behind me. Feel someone scratching my right shoulder. Turn back and it’s Matt Roth. He’s looking at my shoulder like it’d grown an elbow. He was the most impressive physical specimen I’d ever seen, though dumb as a donkey. In mid scratch he looks at me and says: “You got some jizz on your shoulder.”

Slightly stoned as any frosh should be, I was at a complete loss of words. All I could think to do was ask: “Why you scratching it?”

He looked me dead in the eye and said: “I dunno.”

Later I would examine the jizz and realize it was in fact dry powder detergent that hadn’t washed out of my fleece. Dry powder detergent Matt Roth poked at with an inquiring finger... convinced it was jizz.

2002-03. Hillcrest dormitory. I step on the elevator and see Matt Roth. I’m closest to the door. He’s behind me. Feel someone scratching my right shoulder. Turn back and it’s Matt Roth. He’s looking at my shoulder like it’d grown an elbow. He was the most impressive physical specimen I’d ever seen, though dumb as a donkey. In mid scratch he looks at me and says: “You got some jizz on your shoulder.”

Slightly stoned as any frosh should be, I was at a complete loss of words. All I could think to do was ask: “Why you scratching it?”

Later I would examine the jizz and realize it was in fact dry powder detergent that hadn’t washed out of my fleece. Dry powder detergent Matt Roth poked at with an inquiring finger... convinced it was jizz.
My Lord sir! Guy was simply not right. Mind in the gutter. Scratching your shoulder!?! Bahahahahahaha!!!

A Trooper who is into drug shenanigans?

mother-of-god-super-troopers.jpg

It seems our interior DL is not nearly as stable as our DEs. Wouldnt it be mice if Hesse could occationally slide down inside to give us a Mitch King like presence?

It seems our interior DL is not nearly as stable as our DEs. Wouldnt it be mice if Hesse could occationally slide down inside to give us a Mitch King like presence?
Read Parker has put on 20lbs.Up to 260.Need both on field same time.And Brandon S. Playing lb in passing downs.And BLITZING "Nightmare" D-line helps new line-backers. Brandon huge +.

Just think of the terror our DL will inflict in 2019 with

DE: Epenesa
DT: Nixon
DT: Waggoner (if he can slide inside some)
DE: Nelson

I'd suggested this earlier.
Parker Hesse is one of the best, toughest Hawkeyes I've seen in a long time.
His tip TD at Nebbie is one of my ALL TIME fave plays (I was in that EndZone) as the Hawkeyes wrapped up the undefeated Reg season.

All that being said........this fall of 2018, A.J. Epenesa will be a starter.
Somehow, somewhere he will be starting.......maybe AJ at DT?
GO HAWKS !!!! :)

• 2019 starting DE's will be Gholston and Epenesa...with A. Nelson and Hesse gone to the NFL...and yeah, Iowa will still be good! Very good. As Ron White would say we are LOO--OOA-DED!!

• 2019 starting DE's will be Gholston and Epenesa...with A. Nelson and Hesse gone to the NFL...and yeah, Iowa will still be good! Very good. As Ron White would say we are LOO--OOA-DED!!
Anthony Nelson will only be a junior in 2018 (thanks to Johnsoda for catching my typo) - he's not going to be bolting for the pros a year early. The starting DEs in 2019 will most likely be Nelson and Epenesa. Chauncey Golston will be a critical member in a very active rotation on the DL ... he'll likely see reps at BOTH DE and DT.

Last edited:
Anthony Nelson will only be a junior in 2019 - he's not going to be bolting for the pros a year early. The starting DEs in 2019 will most likely be Nelson and Epenesa. Chauncey Golston will be a critical member in a very active rotation on the DL ... he'll likely see reps at BOTH DE and DT.
You are not wrong often but Nelson will be a senior in 2019. I do not believe he declares after 2018. I believe I have underestimated Waggoner and he may be on AJs level. The future is bright.

Just think of the terror our DL will inflict in 2019 with

DE: Epenesa
DT: Nixon
DT: Waggoner (if he can slide inside some)
DE: Nelson
Why would Waggoner play ahead of either Lattimore or Reiff? I'm excited about Wags too ... but lets not forget about the talented guys already on the roster.

In fact, I can envision our "NASCAR" package in 2019 being:
Epenesa - lined up where-ever he can wreak the most havoc (perhaps on the interior or edge by then)
Nelson - line up on either side at DE
Reiff - exceptional combo of quickness, motor, and use of leverage
Golston - DE-type who will have extensive experience by then on the interior too.

As I've alluded above, I honestly believe folks are short-changing Lattimore and Reiff. Both guys will be SRs in 2019 - and SRs on Iowa's DL tend to play their very best ball. Furthermore, by then, Lattimore himself will likely be in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. While I'm as excited as the next guy about what Nixon brings to the table ... let us not forget that Lattimore is a really explosive and athletic big man too.

The DT picture in 2019 should be an interesting one ... that's for sure. Adding guys like Nixon and Shannon to the mix will give us a nice combo of size and "leverage."

You are not wrong often but Nelson will be a senior in 2019. I do not believe he declares after 2018. I believe I have underestimated Waggoner and he may be on AJs level. The future is bright.
My brain farted ... I meant to say that he's just a JR in '18 ... and that he'd be a SR in '19. Thanks for the correction.

I'd suggested this earlier.
Parker Hesse is one of the best, toughest Hawkeyes I've seen in a long time.
His tip TD at Nebbie is one of my ALL TIME fave plays (I was in that EndZone) as the Hawkeyes wrapped up the undefeated Reg season.

All that being said........this fall of 2018, A.J. Epenesa will be a starter.
Somehow, somewhere he will be starting.......maybe AJ at DT?
GO HAWKS !!!! :)
His pick in the ISU game last year was pretty slick too! :)

Reactions: Harbinger273
In the defensive mind...what does it matter?? He is going to get just as many game snaps as a starter or rotation guy. He wasn't remotely ready last year to be anything but a rush guy. Might be more ready to be a 3 down guy, but he was a rush terror on 2nd and long and 3rd down snaps.

Uuuuhh, no.
I'm watching Iowa up on OSU 38-17 right now and he drops back and blocks a pass.
Please do a little more research in the future. Thank you.

Why would Waggoner play ahead of either Lattimore or Reiff? I'm excited about Wags too ... but lets not forget about the talented guys already on the roster.

In fact, I can envision our "NASCAR" package in 2019 being:
Epenesa - lined up where-ever he can wreak the most havoc (perhaps on the interior or edge by then)
Nelson - line up on either side at DE
Reiff - exceptional combo of quickness, motor, and use of leverage
Golston - DE-type who will have extensive experience by then on the interior too.

As I've alluded above, I honestly believe folks are short-changing Lattimore and Reiff. Both guys will be SRs in 2019 - and SRs on Iowa's DL tend to play their very best ball. Furthermore, by then, Lattimore himself will likely be in the neighborhood of 300 lbs. While I'm as excited as the next guy about what Nixon brings to the table ... let us not forget that Lattimore is a really explosive and athletic big man too.

The DT picture in 2019 should be an interesting one ... that's for sure. Adding guys like Nixon and Shannon to the mix will give us a nice combo of size and "leverage."
I believe that Ced Lattimore is already pushing that 300lb mark. We'll also have Shannon and Linderbaum next to Nixon, so we should be very solid in the DL trenches.

Anthony Nelson will only be a junior in 2018 (thanks to Johnsoda for catching my typo) - he's not going to be bolting for the pros a year early. The starting DEs in 2019 will most likely be Nelson and Epenesa. Chauncey Golston will be a critical member in a very active rotation on the DL ... he'll likely see reps at BOTH DE and DT.

I know to take a grain of salt when looking at mock drafts for 19'. But DL class is suppose to be loaded next year which is another reason think he will be back. Anthony and Epenesa at DE in 19' will be scary good and maybe our best duo since Roth and Babineaux wrecked havoc in the 04' season.

Part of the reason why he's been learning how to play on either side is both to allow him to create more mismatches (it can allow for Phil to play more personnel-games) .... but, more importantly, to allow AJ to play more snaps. Anthony Nelson has played on both side for the past 2 years ... and it helps him keep his number of snaps up.

My guess is that part of the motivation in getting Brincks acclimated to snaps on the interior is not only to help compensate for our lack of beef on the interior DL ... but also because AJ's level of play will continue to demand that he should be on the field more.

My guess is that we'll see an exceedingly active 3-man rotation between Hesse, A. Nelson, and Epenesa ... and they'll likely work in some reps to Golston and Brincks too (but there will likely be fewer to go around).

For all intents and purposes, I anticipate that the coaches will ultimately treat AJ, Hesse, and A. Nelson as starters ... but AJ won't "officially" hold the title until 2019.

Excellent, excellent post!

Instead of “I dunno” he had said “bro’s before ho’s” ...it would have been the story of the century.

I know to take a grain of salt when looking at mock drafts for 19'. But DL class is suppose to be loaded next year which is another reason think he will be back. Anthony and Epenesa at DE in 19' will be scary good and maybe our best duo since Roth and Babineaux wrecked havoc in the 04' season.
Babs lined up all over the place, but he mostly played DT. Our DE opposite Roth was DRob (Derreck Robinson) back in '04.

Reactions: JoelBittner
I know ANelson is only a Jr this coming year. I am really hoping (expecting) a Drew Ott-type of improvement from his Sophomore to his junior year.

If so, he may have a choice to make similar to Noah Fant. In fact, those 2 may be our only draft picks next April. Others will get their shot, but probably as UDFA. Matt Nelson has a chance to be drafted, assuming a productive year, from a 3-4 defensive team, since he has played both DT and DE.

Uuuuhh, no.
I'm watching Iowa up on OSU 38-17 right now and he drops back and blocks a pass.
Please do a little more research in the future. Thank you.
This post made zero sense. Did research...look it up there Bitner. Do some research over the last three years and look at the snaps per defensive lineman. Not arguing his worth...just doesn't matter who "starts vs who plays"

This post made zero sense. Did research...look it up there Bitner. Do some research over the last three years and look at the snaps per defensive lineman. Not arguing his worth...just doesn't matter who "starts vs who plays"

Yes i don't understand the fixation on who starts. Iowa played 8 linemen meaningful snaps last year. They lost only Bazata. The guys who play the most snaps are the ones who play the best. Epenesa and Brincks had probably the two biggest plays from DL in the Penn State game. Hesse had the huge play against ISU. A. Nelson had the huge sack/fumble against BC in the bowl game. That's the idea, have a rotation of guys who can play with a high motor the entire game. 7-8 and maybe more of these guys will be needed due to injuries, which always occur. I'm very excited to see Epenesa continue to grow, and if A. Nelson improves as much from sophomore to junior as he did from freshman to sophomore Iowa will really have something. Hesse is a really good, solid college player. You could say the same about M. Nelson, and hopefully about even more of the guys in the rotation. None of them will be playing their first meaningful snaps, none should be overmatched physically. That is a nice situation to be in.

Yes i don't understand the fixation on who starts. Iowa played 8 linemen meaningful snaps last year. They lost only Bazata. The guys who play the most snaps are the ones who play the best. Epenesa and Brincks had probably the two biggest plays from DL in the Penn State game. Hesse had the huge play against ISU. A. Nelson had the huge sack/fumble against BC in the bowl game. That's the idea, have a rotation of guys who can play with a high motor the entire game. 7-8 and maybe more of these guys will be needed due to injuries, which always occur. I'm very excited to see Epenesa continue to grow, and if A. Nelson improves as much from sophomore to junior as he did from freshman to sophomore Iowa will really have something. Hesse is a really good, solid college player. You could say the same about M. Nelson, and hopefully about even more of the guys in the rotation. None of them will be playing their first meaningful snaps, none should be overmatched physically. That is a nice situation to be in.
There is plenty of buzz (some internal, some otherwise) suggesting that Anthony Nelson might have a decision to make after the '18 season. After the '16 season, the only starter we lost was Jaleel ... however we also lost a top back-up in Faith. The big transition on the DL in '17 was that Matt Nelson slid inside after being a co-starter with Anthony at LDE.

Over the past two seasons, we've seen our top DEs get better at playing disciplined ball on the edges ... and Matt made enormous strides on the interior. I expect Matt Nelson to be rock-solid for us as a SR at DT ... and I expect continued improvement from Ced and Brady. Heck, Sam Brincks is the best walk-on D-lineman who we've had since Thomas Nardo or Chad Geary (both being high quality guys). Also, Morgan sounds awfully bullish about the future if Chauncey. Thus, it's fair to say that we have a lot to be excited about concerning our DL (and its future).

wasn't Luebke the 4th DL that year? that was one talented line right there. D-Rob hit like an angry freight train.
Yes and Kenny I and Mattison where freshman. Kirk has coached some stout defensive lines

Regarding the defensive tackles, I really like Matt Nelson and Cedrick Lattimore. Both are experienced, have been through the Big Ten wars. There are some young guys looking for playing time and they will be used when Matt or Ced needs a breather.

There is plenty of buzz (some internal, some otherwise) suggesting that Anthony Nelson might have a decision to make after the '18 season. After the '16 season, the only starter we lost was Jaleel ... however we also lost a top back-up in Faith. The big transition on the DL in '17 was that Matt Nelson slid inside after being a co-starter with Anthony at LDE.

Over the past two seasons, we've seen our top DEs get better at playing disciplined ball on the edges ... and Matt made enormous strides on the interior. I expect Matt Nelson to be rock-solid for us as a SR at DT ... and I expect continued improvement from Ced and Brady. Heck, Sam Brincks is the best walk-on D-lineman who we've had since Thomas Nardo or Chad Geary (both being high quality guys). Also, Morgan sounds awfully bullish about the future if Chauncey. Thus, it's fair to say that we have a lot to be excited about concerning our DL (and its future).
I'm excited about what this group can do in 2018. I don't like to look ahead to "yeah but they could be special in 2019". But the planets could align in 2019. Big losses in Hesse and Nelson. A. Nelson stays. Gholston is the real deal. Add in Nixon, Shannon and Waggoner. Experience at linebacker but Young Guns trying to steal starting spots. Might be interesting.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT