ADVERTISEMENT

Akrum Wadley getting on the bad side of Hawkeye fans...

Sep 21, 2015
Twitter search his name.

Apparently, multiple people in recent months have paid him to receiver autographed memorabilia for their children, father, etc., & he kept their money but never followed through.

People are calling him out on Twitter & supposedly blocks them.

He is now claiming that he stopped sending stuff because of the virus. Only issue is a lot of people ordered before Christmas.

Last edited:
Not making excuses for him, but it’s really unfortunate that the NCAA makes billions off of these athletes & they can’t profit off of themselves.

For many of these guys, through college, this is their entire identity. And then, if college is the end of it and you aren’t making money playing professionally, you’re just lost.

Then you see guys signing memorabilia like this, trying to make a few extra bucks off of their name. That doesn’t excuse blatantly ripping people off, but my point still stands.

it’s sad to see.

The only other explanation I can think of is that he has a group around him controlling his social media & payments, the cash app user profile for payment was his manager so that is a possibility, I guess

Oh boy. AW if you’re reading this, if true then you are quickly guaranteeing that you won’t even be able to make money off your name and likability anymore.

Not making excuses for him, but it’s really unfortunate that the NCAA makes billions off of these athletes & they can’t profit off of themselves.

For many of these guys, through college, this is their entire identity. And then, if college is the end of it and you aren’t making money playing professionally, you’re just lost.

Then you see guys signing memorabilia like this, trying to make a few extra bucks off of their name. That doesn’t excuse blatantly ripping people off, but my point still stands.

it’s sad to see.
Student athlete. Is that a term that you are familiar with? Four to five years of going to school free, no room expenses, no meal expenses and no student loans is profiting off of themselves.
How many football players will actually earn professional money playing football and of those who do what is the average length of their careers. They should have an education when they leave and if they don't that's on them. If they are ''lost'' they can only blame themselves. They are given more of an opportunity then most kids who end their college days with 10's of thousands of dollars in student loans.

Around a year ago, he was supposed to be a special guest at a restaurant in Fort Madison (Hwy 61 Bar and Grill, if I'm not mistaken). They Did a big promotion for an autograph signing and a Q&A session, and he was basically a no call/no show.

Just what I heard... free to correct me if any of that information is incorrect.

Student athlete. Is that a term that you are familiar with? Four to five years of going to school free, no room expenses, no meal expenses and no student loans is profiting off of themselves.
How many football players will actually earn professional money playing football and of those who do what is the average length of their careers. They should have an education when they leave and if they don't that's on them. If they are ''lost'' they can only blame themselves. They are given more of an opportunity then most kids who end their college days with 10's of thousands of dollars in student loans.

Actually, closer to $200,000 once you roll the stipends in. Not including the health care and training, training table and the athletic gear (Nike). One redshirt year rolls that up to $250,000. Also, students who come from very poor circumstances are often eligible for plane tickets home to see the family.

Last edited:

Exactly, well said!

it’s sad to see.

I think something needs to change re: compensation for athletes related to their time in college, but that has nothing to do with what happens after college.

Akrum (and other athletes) are given a free, world class education. If they don't choose to use that to their advantage, that's on them. Nothing prevents an athlete from getting their degree and using it to get a job after they graduate. If an athlete wants to pursue a professional career, hopefully they succeed. But there is absolutely nothing preventing them from getting a job in corporate America if they fail. Struggling financially as a <25 year old in that situation is zero excuse for taking advantage of people.

I think something needs to change re: compensation for athletes related to their time in college, but that has nothing to do with what happens after college.

Akrum (and other athletes) are given a free, world class education. If they don't choose to use that to their advantage, that's on them. Nothing prevents an athlete from getting their degree and using it to get a job after they graduate. If an athlete wants to pursue a professional career, hopefully they succeed. But there is absolutely nothing preventing them from getting a job in corporate America if they fail. Struggling financially as a <25 year old in that situation is zero excuse for taking advantage of people.
He was relying on the XFL for his meal ticket. However, it sounds like he was having difficulties with ethics prior to his stint with them.

Actually, closer to $200,000 once you roll the stipends in. Not including the health care and training, training table and the athletic gear (Nike). One redshirt year rolls that up to $250,000. Also, students who come from very poor circumstances are often eligible for plane tickets home to see the family.
Don't forget Pell Grants.

I totally agree with this. These kids are getting a free college education, free room, free food. not to mention these kids are eating much better then any of the paying students on campus. If you add up (and I am not going to) what the school pays for these student athletes they are getting a hell of a deal. And, since the majority of them are not going to be going pro, they have an education that they will not be spending a good part of their adult live trying to repay. I suppose another option would be for the NCAA to let these kids go pro at anytime if they are good enough and are ready instead of them waiting till their Junior season...........How bout this for an idea. If college kids think they are good enough, and want to make money off their names, then let them sign a waiver and they can make as much money as they want, however they forfeit their scholorship and thus will have to pay for their school. Odds are they won't play the four years anyway.

it’s sad to see.
So you want current college athletes to set up tables to sign autographs for a fee? We're not even talking about a college athlete here

Well put. A player on a Power 5 football team also has opportunities to make connections with powerful people that non-athletes can only dream about.

I totally agree with this. These kids are getting a free college education, free room, free food. not to mention these kids are eating much better then any of the paying students on campus. If you add up (and I am not going to) what the school pays for these student athletes they are getting a hell of a deal. And, since the majority of them are not going to be going pro, they have an education that they will not be spending a good part of their adult live trying to repay. I suppose another option would be for the NCAA to let these kids go pro at anytime if they are good enough and are ready instead of them waiting till their Junior season...........How bout this for an idea. If college kids think they are good enough, and want to make money off their names, then let them sign a waiver and they can make as much money as they want, however they forfeit their scholorship and thus will have to pay for their school. Odds are they won't play the four years anyway.

Their school related compensation is generous but why are some so convinced that there shouldn’t be additional compensation?

If another student on academic scholarship has a side gig doing computer work or graphic design or any other work that they are able to get paid for, do we try and stop them? That is their skill or commodity, athletes names and likenesses are their commodity.

There needs to be some sort of compensation put in place but it needs to be well regulated, and something the NCAA is not directly in charge of. Even if they put a "salary cap" or other limitations in place, you still have to govern payments made outside of that or you will have schools with the biggest donors spending at will to kids that will give them an unfair advantage.

Their school related compensation is generous but why are some so convinced that there shouldn’t be additional compensation?

If another student on academic scholarship has a side gig doing computer work or graphic design or any other work that they are able to get paid for, do we try and stop them? That is their skill or commodity, athletes names and likenesses are their commodity.

I'm not against name and likeness compensation. Should happen, and it likely will. It doesn't change the fact that players are not "exploited" by any real definition. They are free to not be a student-athlete and go to the college of their choosing and ones they can get into/afford, just like millions of other high school students out there. I'm all for putting more power in the hands of the players. Coaches can leave and go to a "better" job at any time without sitting out. They can get paid more and be at a better school. But if players want to either a) receive some compensation or b) transfer to another school, it's as if all of college sports will end.

I don't want to come off like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth. Multiple things can be true at once. 1) Players can deserve to make some $ off their name/likeness; and 2) even in the current state they have it better than many/most persons going to college. They can graduate with zero debt at a minimum, and if they are really good can be in a position to get paid to play.

It will be interesting to see how colleges handle the drop in revenue from no NCAA tournament and if large crowds can't attend football games in the fall. We will see how supportive of "shutting everything down" people are when their livelihoods in athletic administration go away or coaches go without salaries since there is no TV money. It's easy for people who still have jobs and are still getting paid to order us all home for months on end. I'm not advocating for one side or the other (both of them suck) but I have zero doubt that government would find a quick solution if Congress and their staffs were not getting paid during this time of "sacrifice."

I'm not against name and likeness compensation. Should happen, and it likely will. It doesn't change the fact that players are not "exploited" by any real definition. They are free to not be a student-athlete and go to the college of their choosing and ones they can get into/afford, just like millions of other high school students out there. I'm all for putting more power in the hands of the players. Coaches can leave and go to a "better" job at any time without sitting out. They can get paid more and be at a better school. But if players want to either a) receive some compensation or b) transfer to another school, it's as if all of college sports will end.

I don't want to come off like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth. Multiple things can be true at once. 1) Players can deserve to make some $ off their name/likeness; and 2) even in the current state they have it better than many/most persons going to college. They can graduate with zero debt at a minimum, and if they are really good can be in a position to get paid to play.

It will be interesting to see how colleges handle the drop in revenue from no NCAA tournament and if large crowds can't attend football games in the fall. We will see how supportive of "shutting everything down" people are when their livelihoods in athletic administration go away or coaches go without salaries since there is no TV money. It's easy for people who still have jobs and are still getting paid to order us all home for months on end. I'm not advocating for one side or the other (both of them suck) but I have zero doubt that government would find a quick solution if Congress and their staffs were not getting paid during this time of "sacrifice."
Totally agree, especially with your second paragraph.

do their schollys includes access to much better meals/doctors/etc than 99.9% of american adults? and more on top of that?

lets not pretend they get nothing but their free education.

letting them "profit" of their name is great in theory, executing it is far from easy and no matter what it will never be "fair".....

He's been posting pictures all day about others who have received them. He also is showing boxes of stuff that is all signed waiting to be delivered.

Twitter search his name.

Apparently, multiple people in recent months have paid him to receiver autographed memorabilia for their children, father, etc., & he kept their money but never followed through.

People are calling him out on Twitter & supposedly blocks them.
It's not nearly as bad as walmart taking money from sick people then "losing the money" and not delivering their groceries!!

FU WALMART-you are pathetic

it’s sad to see.

This has ABSOLUTELY nothing with capitalizing off likeness and EVERYTHING to do with a guy that is making wrong choices. I'd be very curious to know if he has a M -F full time job

Reactions: NI hawk
He's been posting pictures all day about others who have received them. He also is showing boxes of stuff that is all signed waiting to be delivered.

Hopefully this means he will fulfill all promised orders because this has been going on for the better part of a year. I guess maybe he never promised a delivery date but taking more than 2-3 months even before all this shutdown is a bit extreme.

This has ABSOLUTELY nothing with capitalizing off likeness and EVERYTHING to do with a guy that is making wrong choices. I'd be very curious to know if he has a M -F full time job

As I said in my initial post, I’m not making excuses for him if he is ripping people off. That’s quite clearly a “wrong choice.”

Would he (or any other athlete) be in a better spot financially, if they earned money off of their own name while in school? Answer this question. I find it hard to believe they’d be in a worse spot.

I know there are multiple athletes out there who are in the same spot and don’t rip people off. Doesn’t change the fact that they would be in a better spot if they made money off of their name.

We can debate all we want, and am sure at some point players will start getting paid something. Though not sure how we sort that out. But Wadley did not have that as a current option.

The reality is that Wadley could have leveraged his brand equity. Likely not big dollars for the basics like autographs, but he needs to get creative and get aggressive.

Autographs and appearances is a start. But think of how many former players have gotten a leg up due to their name?

With some maturity, a degree (i think?) and some creativity he certainly has a much better chance than the average Iowa grad to succeed. There are loads of investors who would want to leverage his name and get to hob knob with a former Hawk star.

Football camps
Training Facility
Bar/Restaurant
Other?

Last edited:
do their schollys includes access to much better meals/doctors/etc than 99.9% of american adults? and more on top of that?

lets not pretend they get nothing but their free education.

letting them "profit" of their name is great in theory, executing it is far from easy and no matter what it will never be "fair".....
Depends on the institution. Yes, they do often get better meals. Team doctors and trainers and PTs are pretty ubiquitous, as is access to nutritionists and mental health professionals. At Iowa at least, I know they also have an individual assigned that handles a fairly small caseload that tracks the kids academics. If they are not doing well, they get called in for tutoring, they have group studies before tests to help make certain they are up to speed as well. The Student Athlete academic center also has a snack bar where they can get smoothies and wraps about 18 hours a day.

In regards to his message about the virus, he meant it as, as of today, we have temporarily stopped shipping footballs. Not a reference to previous orders

Weird. I know people who got their items. Had no idea there has become a problem. Hopefully it’s just the virus and not something worse going on.

Is the $200,000 -250,000 a general number or specific to Iowa? How would those numbers change if you went to, say, Stanford, Notre Dame, Michigan, or Northwestern's of the college world?

A lot of people in here going, "I don't want kids to profit off of their likeness because it ruins my enjoyment of a game!" as if that should even matter.

Edit: Salary cap would only work if the person is making money FROM the school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT