ADVERTISEMENT

Akrum Wadley getting on the bad side of Hawkeye fans...

Jesus Christ, reading most of these posts is pathetic. Maybe he's doing the best he can and isn't a bad guy? That's what the initial post was about. Holy shit do these things go sideways in a hurry.
I rarely respond, but c'mon. Everyone is so critical and negative, don't get it. Never been bitter or jealous in my life. Made plenty of mistakes, that's how I learned and became successful. I hope everyone bitching has their shit together more than Akrum

Jesus Christ, reading most of these posts is pathetic. Maybe he's doing the best he can and isn't a bad guy? That's what the initial post was about. Holy shit do these things go sideways in a hurry.
I rarely respond, but c'mon. Everyone is so critical and negative, don't get it. Never been bitter or jealous in my life. Made plenty of mistakes, that's how I learned and became successful. I hope everyone bitching has their shit together more than Akrum

I don't think he's a bad guy but he's likely in over his head and struggling financially. That said, blocking people on Twitter and Instagram for simply asking where their football is or can they have a refund is extremely childish and absolutely deserves to be called out in a public forum. He's basically taking people's money and eventually (hopefully) delivering on a promise of goods he made them, sometimes over a year later. I get why people are pissed.

Also, he hasn't owned up to it, he's just ignoring people. There's making mistakes, and then there is making mistakes and intentionally refusing to atone for those mistakes.

A lot of people in here going, "I don't want kids to profit off of their likeness because it ruins my enjoyment of a game!" as if that should even matter.

Edit: Salary cap would only work if the person is making money FROM the school.

My issue is that it will only widen the gap between the haves and have not's. I'm not naive enough to think that kids don't already get benefits from boosters and fans (it happens at every P5 school, let's not kid ourselves), but could you imagine trying to recruit in that realm? Heck, your UGA and Alabama's of the world are already dropping bags under the table. Could you imagine giving free reign for that process to the big money boosters at those programs? Heck, you'd probably have kids taking pay cuts at those school's if they left early for the NFL

I'd be willing to bet they do.

Jesus christ I actually had him block me for asking him for the item I paid him for.
He was asking $70 for a full size autographed football, I sent him $100 for it.
I waited over a month for it then sent another message asking when I could expect it, then 3 weeks later got a MINI football which he was selling for $40, I messaged him again & asked where I should return the item for the correct one no response, waited a week sent another message about it and was BLOCKED on Twitter, sounds more like bad guy to me.

Reactions: Herkyhawk247
Not making excuses for him, but it’s really unfortunate that the NCAA makes billions off of these athletes & they can’t profit off of themselves.

For many of these guys, through college, this is their entire identity. And then, if college is the end of it and you aren’t making money playing professionally, you’re just lost.

Then you see guys signing memorabilia like this, trying to make a few extra bucks off of their name. That doesn’t excuse blatantly ripping people off, but my point still stands.

it’s sad to see.

Yeah well that's why they should get a degree so they can get a decent job. Get a degree, get a job and welcome to the real world people. I don't feel sorry for those that choose the lazy route.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Not making excuses for him, but it’s really unfortunate that the NCAA makes billions off of these athletes & they can’t profit off of themselves.

For many of these guys, through college, this is their entire identity. And then, if college is the end of it and you aren’t making money playing professionally, you’re just lost.

Then you see guys signing memorabilia like this, trying to make a few extra bucks off of their name. That doesn’t excuse blatantly ripping people off, but my point still stands.

it’s sad to see.
First off, it does seem that your making excuses for him, Second very few players by percentage make it to the league and get the payday, very damn few. Maybe he should have taken advantage of a free college education and the lucrative doors that opens. Its said that having a college degree earns the bearer at minimum an additional million dollars over a lifetime vs someone without the degree. There is absolutely NO reason that he or anyone else given that opportunity should be "lost" as you put it, unless they didn't take advantage of this gift.
Sorry for the rant, but I for one am totally fed up with this victim mentality. Make your own decisions, and be responsible for them. Do the work.......

Student athlete. Is that a term that you are familiar with? Four to five years of going to school free, no room expenses, no meal expenses and no student loans is profiting off of themselves.
How many football players will actually earn professional money playing football and of those who do what is the average length of their careers. They should have an education when they leave and if they don't that's on them. If they are ''lost'' they can only blame themselves. They are given more of an opportunity then most kids who end their college days with 10's of thousands of dollars in student loans.
Like x 1000! Thank you.......

First off, it does seem that your making excuses for him, Second very few players by percentage make it to the league and get the payday, very damn few. Maybe he should have taken advantage of a free college education and the lucrative doors that opens. Its said that having a college degree earns the bearer at minimum an additional million dollars over a lifetime vs someone without the degree. There is absolutely NO reason that he or anyone else given that opportunity should be "lost" as you put it, unless they didn't take advantage of this gift.
Sorry for the rant, but I for one am totally fed up with this victim mentality. Make your own decisions, and be responsible for them. Do the work.......
Yessirrrrrr

Well put. A player on a Power 5 football team also has opportunities to make connections with powerful people that non-athletes can only dream about.
And Iowa does a first rate job of this with their mentoring program made up of past players mentoring graduating players and possibly even future employment. Something else that Mr. Wadley has thrown out the window with his choices......

Reactions: And1Hawk
Really? He's just struggling so he thought the best thing for him to do was get a can of gas and try to burn the program down? I have no idea just how much pull KF has with NFL people, at least as far as getting players in, but I can tell you that he makes a real effort with his former player mentoring program to see that his graduating players get meaningful careers after graduating. Many former players have taken advantage of this great program. One way or another Wadley will get whats coming to him, he just may not like the results......

I just find this whole AW saga very disappointing. He failed to make in the NFL and XFL. I'm sure it is frustrating for him but as a star athlete at Iowa he had much more going for him then the average student and now he has set it all on fire. The day will come when he realizes just how much he has thrown away. Really sad.

I just find this whole AW saga very disappointing. He failed to make in the NFL and XFL. I'm sure it is frustrating for him but as a star athlete at Iowa he had much more going for him then the average student and now he has set it all on fire. The day will come when he realizes just how much he has thrown away. Really sad.

He could of come back to Iowa and created pay days for himself with autograph and photo sessions making a lot of money. He is now persona non grata.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Yeah well that's why they should get a degree so they can get a decent job. Get a degree, get a job and welcome to the real world people. I don't feel sorry for those that choose the lazy route.

Sorry, but even if a football or basketball player gets a degree, I don't think most employers would think that degree was worth much. There have been may stories, even on this site, of players not showing up at all but still passing classes and giving good presentations that they likely didn't understand. Let's not play games and kid ourselves that all of the degrees these guys get are indications that they are bright and can work hard.

Sorry, but even if a football or basketball player gets a degree, I don't think most employers would think that degree was worth much. There have been may stories, even on this site, of players not showing up at all but still passing classes and giving good presentations that they likely didn't understand. Let's not play games and kid ourselves that all of the degrees these guys get are indications that they are bright and can work hard.
Maybe, but it sure has to be better then the alternative of not getting one. And just to be clear, my posts have all said do the work, and get the skin. Again its the personal responsibility of the player to put in the work, and EARN his degree. If he doesn't, then thats on him alone....

There are certain connections and contacts that are available where athletes get good jobs in fields that don’t match their degree.

Maybe, but it sure has to be better then the alternative of not getting one. And just to be clear, my posts have all said do the work, and get the skin. Again its the personal responsibility of the player to put in the work, and EARN his degree. If he doesn't, then thats on him alone....

Agree 100%. I just don't think many of those degrees are worth much, and I don't think a lot of these guys do that work. It really is a shame, because they do have the opportunity.

There are certain connections and contacts that are available where athletes get good jobs in fields that don’t match their degree.

Agree. But if I was an employer

Yes, and that is part of the deal. Good for them if they get that. They have parlayed their college experience into a field after college. As an employer though, if I was simply looking for someone to hire, I would have to see more than a degree to convince me this person had the education to do the job I wanted. I just wouldn't trust the degree as much as I would from a non-athlete. Too much hanky panky going on.

Who's playing games and kidding themselves. Where did I say a degree means anyone is bright? I know a lot of dummies that have degrees. Akrum didn't do the right thing F him.

Reactions: hawkbirch
Who's playing games and kidding themselves. Where did I say a degree means anyone is bright? I know a lot of dummies that have degrees. Akrum didn't do the right thing F him.

You said get a degree so they can get a job. I said that while in most cases, a degree from Iowa would mean you were reasonably bright and could work hard enough to get a degree, a football player getting the same degree would not mean the same thing was true, and couldn't be counted on to get a job.

Their school related compensation is generous but why are some so convinced that there shouldn’t be additional compensation?

If another student on academic scholarship has a side gig doing computer work or graphic design or any other work that they are able to get paid for, do we try and stop them? That is their skill or commodity, athletes names and likenesses are their commodity.
Maybe because they are not competing with other NCAA schools that stand to profit from winning competitions.

Maybe because they are not competing with other NCAA schools that stand to profit from winning competitions.

Why does that matter? To maintain the illusion of a level playing field?

Bottom line, this is a billion dollar industry that wreaks havoc on the physical and probably mental health of the athletes. I fully support them being able to cash in on their NIL even if it benefits some schools more than others.

180,000 d1 scholarships and 65,000 naia.
The us news and worlds reports put the total scholarship aid at 2.9 billion per year. That is not a number that says oppressed athletes. An Iowa football/basketball player is pulling in $75k per year. Just imagine what some other schools players are getting hint over 100k.

Reactions: fezzador
Weird. I know people who got their items. Had no idea there has become a problem. Hopefully it’s just the virus and not something worse going on.

The only realistic way the virus would interfere with the shipping of an autographed football is if their supply chain of balls was harmed. And I highly doubt that. Blaming the virus sound like a lame excuse to me.

The only realistic way the virus would interfere with the shipping of an autographed football is if their supply chain of balls was harmed. And I highly doubt that. Blaming the virus sound like a lame excuse to me.

FFS. That post was three months ago when there were major shutdowns in full swing all over and both delivery and supply chains were heavily effected. Of course things changed since then. :rolleyes:

FFS. That post was three months ago when there were major shutdowns in full swing all over and both delivery and supply chains were heavily effected. Of course things changed since then. :rolleyes:

Factories were still making footballs and UPS was still delivering packages. That never changed

In October if 2018 he was supposed to do a Q/A session at the Buffalo 61 near Fort Madison and failed to show up without even notifying the event coordinator.

A lot of fans were expecting this and anticipating the event and I know the owner and a bunch of kids were pretty disappointed.

Sounds like he's kind of a selfish person to be quite honest.

This did not age very well

There needs to be some sort of compensation put in place but it needs to be well regulated, and something the NCAA is not directly in charge of. Even if they put a "salary cap" or other limitations in place, you still have to govern payments made outside of that or you will have schools with the biggest donors spending at will to kids that will give them an unfair advantage.
NCAA and well regulated cannot be used in the same sentence.

Yep! It’s always someone else’s fault. AW, the Victim of a FREE Education.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT