ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama becomes first state to make gender-affirming care for minors a felony

From the article
Use of GnRH analogues might also have long-term effects on:

• Growth spurts
  • Bone growth and density
  • Future fertility — depending on when pubertal blockers are started
Children may have their height checked every three months. Bone density is also checked periodically. If bone growth or density is a concern, your child's health care provider might prescribe a different medication, stop treatment with GnRH analogues or recommend the best time to start cross-hormone therapy.

If children with male genitalia begin using GnRHanalogues early in puberty, they might not develop enough penile and scrotal skin for certain gender affirming genital surgical procedures, such as penile inversion vaginoplasty. Alternative techniques, however, are available.

In addition, delaying puberty beyond one's peers can be stressful. Your child might experience lower self-esteem.
Those are possible side effects, but blockers are not given in isolation. There would be significant counseling to help with these issues. Parents and their child would be given all this information prior to beginning treatment in order to make an informed decision. I believe parents should have this choice available to them, instead of a state taking the option away.

Effects of puberty blockers​

If you were assigned male at birth, puberty blockers will stop or limit:

• growth of facial and body hair
  • deepening of the voice
  • broadening of the shoulders
  • growth of Adam’s apple
  • growth of gonads (testes) and erectile tissue (penis)
If you were assigned female at birth, puberty blockers will stop or limit:

• breast tissue development
  • broadening of the hips
  • monthly bleeding
In both cases, puberty blockers will temporarily stop or limit:

• growth in height
  • development of sex drive
  • impulsive, rebellious,

• deepening of the voice
  • growth of Adam’s apple

• broadening of the hips
  • monthly bleeding

• growth in height
  • impulsive, rebellious, irritable or risk-taking behaviour
  • accumulation of calcium in the bones
  • fertility

• Notice the word temporary in the last paragraph but it’s not in the first 2
You realize that the things they stop become issues for transition when/if the person makes the decision to transition surgically. Those are the benefits for adolescents allowed to be given the blockers. They stop the body from developing in a way that is incongruent with their gender idenity and eliminate the need for certain types of surgery. Later, they can begin cross-hormone treatment. This is done to develop masculine or feminine secondary sex characteristics, helping the mind and body look and act like the gender they identify.

Those are possible side effects, but blockers are not given in isolation. There would be significant counseling to help with these issues. Parents and their child would be given all this information prior to beginning treatment in order to make an informed decision. I believe parents should have this choice available to them, instead of a state
You realize that the things they stop become issues for transition when/if the person makes the decision to transition surgically. Those are the benefits for adolescents allowed to be given the blockers. They stop the body from developing in a way that is incongruent with their gender idenity and eliminate the need for certain types of surgery. Later, they can begin cross-hormone treatment. This is done to develop masculine or feminine secondary sex characteristics, helping the mind and body look and act like the gender they identify.
but your point was that they could just stop the hormones and everything would be reversed which is not true

Lol no they are not, you honestly think a child who has been on hormone therapy since they were 10 and came off at age 18 wouldn’t have any problems?
It goes beyond just the potential physical damage that might be done. That is the time of life where people go through puberty. These young people never go through puberty. Not male puberty or female puberty. They do not have the passage from childhood to adulthood.

but your point was that they could just stop the hormones and everything would be reversed which is not true
They are reversable.

Are Puberty Blockers Permanent?​

No, puberty blockers are temporary:

• Injectable blockers (such as Lupron) can last one, three or six months. Patients can continue getting injections until they decide what to do next.
  • Implants (such Supprelin), which are placed just under the skin in the arm, can last 12 to 24 months before they need to be replaced.
Both types are meant to give patients more time to consider their options:

• If your child decides to continue transitioning, they will likely want to consider hormone therapy and possibly gender affirming surgery.
  • If your child decides that they want to develop characteristics of the sex they were assigned at birth, they can simply stop taking puberty blockers. Once the puberty blockers are out of their system, they’ll go through the puberty of the sex assigned at birth. Puberty blockers alone should not affect your child’s fertility, but hormone therapy can.

Are puberty blockers reversible?​

When a child starts a puberty blocker, it doesn’t mean their body’s puberty changes are permanently suspended. A puberty blocker is more like a short-term solution. It stops the process for as long as a child is using the medication. Once usage stops, puberty will resume.

“It’s more like a pause. If we stop the medicine, puberty can restart,” says Dr. Cartaya. She adds that once it begins again, the body will go through puberty that’s associated with the sex assigned at birth.

Are puberty blockers reversible?

Puberty blockers are reversible.

Puberty blockers have been used for a long time with great benefits.

In medicine, hormone blockers help fight prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is an aggressive cancer, and prostate cancer feeds off testosterone.

People with endometriosis are given puberty blockers. They get blockers to stop the hormone cycles that cause endometriosis to flare up.

Children with precocious puberty are prescribed them to stop them from going through puberty too early. A considerable number of these children have reached final height.

With puberty blockers, transgender kids can go through puberty alongside their peers.

The secondary sex characteristics that develop can be of the transgender adolescent’s preferred gender identity.

People are asking ‘are puberty blockers reversible?’, without ever seeing the irreversibility of a transgender kid going through natal puberty.

If any of these patient groups stop the puberty blocker, then it wears off and is no longer effective.

Reactions: BelemNole
They are reversable.

Are Puberty Blockers Permanent?​

No, puberty blockers are temporary:

• Injectable blockers (such as Lupron) can last one, three or six months. Patients can continue getting injections until they decide what to do next.
  • Implants (such Supprelin), which are placed just under the skin in the arm, can last 12 to 24 months before they need to be replaced.
Both types are meant to give patients more time to consider their options:

• If your child decides to continue transitioning, they will likely want to consider hormone therapy and possibly gender affirming surgery.
  • If your child decides that they want to develop characteristics of the sex they were assigned at birth, they can simply stop taking puberty blockers. Once the puberty blockers are out of their system, they’ll go through the puberty of the sex assigned at birth. Puberty blockers alone should not affect your child’s fertility, but hormone therapy can.

Are puberty blockers reversible?​

When a child starts a puberty blocker, it doesn’t mean their body’s puberty changes are permanently suspended. A puberty blocker is more like a short-term solution. It stops the process for as long as a child is using the medication. Once usage stops, puberty will resume.

“It’s more like a pause. If we stop the medicine, puberty can restart,” says Dr. Cartaya. She adds that once it begins again, the body will go through puberty that’s associated with the sex assigned at birth.

Are puberty blockers reversible?

Puberty blockers are reversible.

Puberty blockers have been used for a long time with great benefits.

In medicine, hormone blockers help fight prostate cancer. Prostate cancer is an aggressive cancer, and prostate cancer feeds off testosterone.

People with endometriosis are given puberty blockers. They get blockers to stop the hormone cycles that cause endometriosis to flare up.

Children with precocious puberty are prescribed them to stop them from going through puberty too early. A considerable number of these children have reached final height.

With puberty blockers, transgender kids can go through puberty alongside their peers.

The secondary sex characteristics that develop can be of the transgender adolescent’s preferred gender identity.

People are asking ‘are puberty blockers reversible?’, without ever seeing the irreversibility of a transgender kid going through natal puberty.

If any of these patient groups stop the puberty blocker, then it wears off and is no longer effective.

SMH

Yes they have. They are a minor child on hormone therapy prescribed by healthcare professionals. We would need to go to jail for that.
I came across an old book from 1966 by the doctor who developed the first gender dysphoria standard of care. It is a really interesting read. The doctor is extremely professional in his writing and goes into great detail about what his patients were experiencing and the different categories was was able to identify. While it is not up to date by todays standards, it was extremely progressive in 1966. He did have a 85% success rate for trans patients. I will admit that this book gave me a new perspective that I have not seen in current literature.

I would encourage anyone who is interested in trans, read/browse the links below.

If nothing else, it is very interesting to compare the current standard of care (3rd link) compared to the 2001 standard of care (2nd link).

Growing up I had 3 friends that it was obvious were gay, years later 2 of them said that their dad's would try to beat the gay away.....one of the dad's was a little league coach and an extremely nice man (or so I thought). I know it's strictly ancedotal, but I think you'd be surprised.

Do teachers not report suspected child abuse? I’m not saying it doesn’t happen or that past anecdotal evidence doesn’t warrant some consideration and I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Whether people want to admit it or not, that thinking was more normal in the past, but not nowadays. If a teacher suspects abuse, then they should report it up through the proper channels. Only then would it make sense to withhold that information. There’s a history of abuse and it’s documented.

But teachers absolutely do not get to withhold information like that from parents because of what might happen, especially if there’s no evidence to support it. Because like it or not, parents know more about their children and what’s best for them than teachers do.

Do teachers not report suspected child abuse? I’m not saying it doesn’t happen or that past anecdotal evidence doesn’t warrant some consideration and I appreciate you sharing your experience.

Whether people want to admit it or not, that thinking was more normal in the past, but not nowadays. If a teacher suspects abuse, then they should report it up through the proper channels. Only then would it make sense to withhold that information. There’s a history of abuse and it’s documented.

But teachers absolutely do not get to withhold information like that from parents because of what might happen, especially if there’s no evidence to support it. Because like it or not, parents know more about their children and what’s best for them than teachers do.
Of course they do. But you know as well as I that doesn’t always work, depending on the quality of the social worker or how thorough the interview is.

I would agree that the teacher on their own should not make the call to tell the parent or not. But if a kid came to a teacher and told them something in confidence, at the very least they should keep that private until they have a chance to talk with guidance counselor, administrator, and others, to try and get a better picture of what’s going on before doing ANYTHING. Heck, in at least some cases it wouldn’t surprise me if the kid wasn’t genuinely serious, and just needed someone to talk to who wasn’t their parent. Maybe theres no abuse, but home life is still difficult for whatever reason.

school should be a safe space and sometimes there are things a kid will tell a teacher they wouldn’t tell their parent right away. Maybe they need that reassurance the world won’t end if they tell a neutral party first. I certainly think that all things being equal, the teacher should ultimately tell a parent that their kid had something they wanted to discuss with them, but that the kid told them they didn’t feel safe doing so. But it doesn’t hurt anyone to wait to have THAT conversation with the parent until they’re SURE the kid is safe.

Of course they do. But you know as well as I that doesn’t always work, depending on the quality of the social worker or how thorough the interview is.

I would agree that the teacher on their own should not make the call to tell the parent or not. But if a kid came to a teacher and told them something in confidence, at the very least they should keep that private until they have a chance to talk with guidance counselor, administrator, and others, to try and get a better picture of what’s going on before doing ANYTHING. Heck, in at least some cases it wouldn’t surprise me if the kid wasn’t genuinely serious, and just needed someone to talk to who wasn’t their parent. Maybe theres no abuse, but home life is still difficult for whatever reason.

school should be a safe space and sometimes there are things a kid will tell a teacher they wouldn’t tell their parent right away. Maybe they need that reassurance the world won’t end if they tell a neutral party first. I certainly think that all things being equal, the teacher should ultimately tell a parent that their kid had something they wanted to discuss with them, but that the kid told them they didn’t feel safe doing so. But it doesn’t hurt anyone to wait to have THAT conversation with the parent until they’re SURE the kid is safe.

I agree. But school isn’t always a safe place for kids either. All they essentially do is put up “bully free zone” signs and check the box.

There are more than enough stories out there about children being bullied and schools doing nothing about it other than, again, checking some boxes. There are even cases where the victims get blamed just because a group of bullies tell a teacher a different story. Schools don’t actually take the bullying issue seriously, so you would have to forgive parents for not trusting the education system to act in the best interest of the child.

With that said, the truth is that most transgender kids are safe at home. And schools better have a well documented and effective process in place if they are going to withhold information from a parent about their child. It’s not too much to ask.

If schools can’t do that, then they don’t get to just decide to withhold information from parents.

I find it interesting that the biggest proponents in this thread to schools telling the parents their kid is trans are also mostly the ones I’m pretty sure would beat their kid for being trans.
JFC. What a ridiculous thing to say. Of course, posting anything horrible about R posters on this forum is guaranteed three encouraging clicks from fellow left wingers.

I have lots of questions, i ask these out of true curiosity and wanting to unsterstand.

Were you involved in the decision making process with your child?
Absolutely. Every step of the way. My only concern has been with their mental wellbeing. They are my child, the youngest of six. I love and support all of my kids.
What do the doctors say will happen if they stop taking testosterone?

If they decide to stop, there is limited permanent change. Facial hair would likely be an issue, same as with many women. Their voice is certainly deeper, changed where they are at in the High School Choir.
does your kid enjoy getting the testosterone shot?

Not really. It is pretty painless though. They took a picture of the needle in their leg for a school report they were doing on the therapy treatment. That freaked out about everyone, teacher included. They really do believe education is the best approach.
Did they have mental health issues before coming out as trans?

Depression and anxiety. There was a point in time that they were cutting.
Do they receive thereapy after coming out as trans?

Yes, quite a bit of follow ups. They are in less counseling now though. There has normally been 3 people involved with their care. They all can consult with one another. A counselor, a psychologist and a Nurse practitioner. The hormone therapy, added a Psychiatrist and Doctor.
Looking back, can you see how they were in the wrong gender before coming out?

I don't feel they are the wrong gender, really, they don't identify as either. Nonbinary does fit them.
Do they have transgender friends?

They have always been attracted to girls. This has lead them to a certain circle. They had a former friend from Girl Scouts contact them last year, they haven't really been close for years, only in passing. They had just come out as tans to their parents. He, now, thanked my child for making it so much easier. They were really proud of that.
I want to know from a parent what your real thoughts are on being trans. It is ok to support your child and their decisions without fully buying into it. It is also ok to support them and and believe they are trans. I am just interested in how they came to this decision? What did the medical providers do before confirming they were trans?
It has been a long process. Their being trans is very very real. I wouldn't call it a decision, more or a realization. My job is just to love them.

• deepening of the voice
  • growth of Adam’s apple

• broadening of the hips
  • monthly bleeding

• growth in height
  • impulsive, rebellious, irritable or risk-taking behaviour
  • accumulation of calcium in the bones
  • fertility

• Notice the word temporary in the last paragraph but it’s not in the first 2
You should go to med school.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I have no problem with a child on hormone therapy if they have gone through puberty
You realize once you have gone through puberty not many trans individuals have interest in transitioning over because they are not able to “pass.” It’s much easier to be accepted in society if you are on hormone therapy before you have finished going through puberty.

But, I already know you don’t care about Trans individuals, so whatever.

Reactions: Tom Paris
I have linked 5 sources that agree with me. Link some sources that say they are irreversible to prove your point. Otherwise it appears the majority of experts agree if an individual stops the blockers, puberty will progress as normal.
You realize once you have gone through puberty not many trans individuals have interest in transitioning over because they are not able to “pass.” It’s much easier to be accepted in society if you are on hormone therapy before you have finished going through puberty.

But, I already know you don’t care about Trans individuals, so whatever.
you also realize that the vast majority of children with these issues realize they aren’t trans after going through puberty

you also realize that the vast majority of children with these issues realize they aren’t trans after going through puberty
Your article talks about possible side effects of one puberty blocker. it does not however, say anything about the puberty blocker being irreversible. The women in the article did go through normal puberty after discontinuing the use of the drug.

All drugs have side effects which is why patients and families need to carefully consider the benefits and possible side effects. Alabama doesn't allow them the option.

Yes, many people who believe they are trans do change their mind. That is why the puberty blockers are a good option since they pause puberty in order to allow the child's brain to develop further before making a decision that is irreversible. During the pause in puberty children should be receiving counseling and other care so that they are able to make the decision about transitioning or not that is right for them.

Do you have a source that cites going through puberty as the trigger for a person changing their mind about being transgender?

I agree. But school isn’t always a safe place for kids either. All they essentially do is put up “bully free zone” signs and check the box.

There are more than enough stories out there about children being bullied and schools doing nothing about it other than, again, checking some boxes. There are even cases where the victims get blamed just because a group of bullies tell a teacher a different story. Schools don’t actually take the bullying issue seriously, so you would have to forgive parents for not trusting the education system to act in the best interest of the child.

With that said, the truth is that most transgender kids are safe at home. And schools better have a well documented and effective process in place if they are going to withhold information from a parent about their child. It’s not too much to ask.

If schools can’t do that, then they don’t get to just decide to withhold information from parents.
These laws make this shit worse, not better. Re-relegating people who just started to gain acceptance back to the fringes is what these types of misguided legislations affect. Congrats.

Last edited:
Absolutely. Every step of the way. My only concern has been with their mental wellbeing. They are my child, the youngest of six. I love and support all of my kids.

If they decide to stop, there is limited permanent change. Facial hair would likely be an issue, same as with many women. Their voice is certainly deeper, changed where they are at in the High School Choir.

Not really. It is pretty painless though. They took a picture of the needle in their leg for a school report they were doing on the therapy treatment. That freaked out about everyone, teacher included. They really do believe education is the best approach.

Depression and anxiety. There was a point in time that they were cutting.

Yes, quite a bit of follow ups. They are in less counseling now though. There has normally been 3 people involved with their care. They all can consult with one another. A counselor, a psychologist and a Nurse practitioner. The hormone therapy, added a Psychiatrist and Doctor.

I don't feel they are the wrong gender, really, they don't identify as either. Nonbinary does fit them.

They have always been attracted to girls. This has lead them to a certain circle. They had a former friend from Girl Scouts contact them last year, they haven't really been close for years, only in passing. They had just come out as tans to their parents. He, now, thanked my child for making it so much easier. They were really proud of that.

It has been a long process. Their being trans is very very real. I wouldn't call it a decision, more or a realization. My job is just to love them.
Thanks for sharing your story. sounds like you have been a good dad through everything.

Do they hate their natural body parts?

It sounds like they are female to male? Do they want surgery?

Im assuming since they do shots, they also go out as a male? is there anyone who they present themself as their biological sex?

What is your impression of the medical care? Did you feel like you were involved as a parent? Did they encourage your child to do one thing over the other?

The standard of care that i previously linked seems like it was more concerned with figuring out if the patient is trans, then if nothing works, then hormones or surgery are the best treatment. The current standard seems more like it is just affirming what the kid says. What are your thoughts on this?

I thought it was interesting in the book i linked, on page 20, there was a table that shows the different types of transgender. He classified the types from basically a cross dresser in private to a full trans person. He even says hormones are beneficial to some, but not for others. I found this interesting because you dont hear much in the public about different types of trans. Not all trans want hormones or surgery, and not all would benefit from surgery or hormones. I dont see this as being a part of the current standards. But if the person just enjoys cross dressing. Probably having a sex change could be more problematic. Whereas if you are fully trans, an operation may be the only answer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT