ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama becomes first state to make gender-affirming care for minors a felony

The DSM V does not define gender dysphoria as a mental illness. It's the manual written by psychiatrists to diagnose mental illness.

Food for thought.
You don't say.....

Dsms are notorious foe changing the name of the exact same disorder for feels.

When was the last time you heard "manic depressive"

Last edited:
I knew he was a shady little dude. How dare he be born anything other than “normal”.
But his PARENTS made the decision about how best to help him, correct?
I bet they think that was the right thing to do...

The parents need to know so that they can help the child. The child doesn’t need to have that conversation the parents. But that conversation needs to be had and not information withheld.

Teachers are not qualified to decide what’s best for trans children.
Or beat the living sheet out of little Johnny because he wants to be Jane. My guess is you've never taken care of a kid who's arm is broken by his drunk dad while his cracked out mother watched.

Right. It's the left's fault that these states are passing these medieval laws. Just like it's their wives faults for causing their fists to smash into their face. Or it's the woman's fault for getting raped because she wore a skirt.

GFY with that BS.
Wow. Those are all so similar, too. 🙄

Or beat the living sheet out of little Johnny because he wants to be Jane. My guess is you've never taken care of a kid who's arm is broken by his drunk dad while his cracked out mother watched.

So all kids with broken arms from drunk fathers want to transition?
Not a great example there, Doc.

Yes. Could parents in Alabama make the decision to allow their minor children to take puberty blockers? Would Gimmered be able to help his child get the care they need?
I can’t say, so unlike the overreacting people on here I won’t comment on that. But I’m glad to hear that your nephew has a Mom and Dad who were involved and made a good decision for him.

So all kids with broken arms from drunk fathers want to transition?
Not a great example there, Doc.
No but having mandatory reporting to parents could be dangerous. As an adult in the medical profession, last thing I would want to do is break a kids trust who was trying to reach out to my for help. The first thing I would do is refer them to someone with some expertise. It would be the same if I was a teacher. I'm simply stating that many kids don't have a safe home environment. Of course you already knew that was my point.

Many states have legal restrictions and give teens a graded level of personal autonomy and responsibility. For example, in Kansas, I can't get into my 15 year olds medical record. It's protected because he may have information about STD testing pregnancy testing (if female), and I suppose transitioning.

It happens to have been the one that was relevant when I was practicing. And that wasn't 22 years ago.
We also used to take out an entire kidney for 2 cm renal tumors. Now we essentially take them out like balling out a melon. Times change. If I pulled out the DSM II, it used to say gay people were mentally ill until 1973 when the DSM III came out.

We also used to take out an entire kidney for 2 cm renal tumors. Now we essentially take them out like balling out a melon. Times change. If I pulled out the DSM II, it used to say gay people were mentally ill until 1973 when the DSM III came out.
I guess I dont understand your angle here. While I have not practiced in over a decade, or even read through a DSM 5, it appears as though what I would call "gender identity disorder" aka gid in my day has now been renamed gender dysphoria and is certainly in the dsm 5.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...e as a society ridicule anyone correcting it?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...society ridicule anyone correcting it? Test

Last edited:
I can’t say, so unlike the overreacting people on here I won’t comment on that. But I’m glad to hear that your nephew has a Mom and Dad who were involved and made a good decision for him.
You seem fixated on this one part of the law. My 17 Y/O child after an evaluation by a Physiatrist as well as a Medical Doctor, receives testosterone which they inject into their leg as part of their gender affirming care. This law if were in Nebraska would have the Doctors as well as my wife and I put in prison for this. This has nothing to do with getting the parents involved. It is hate legislation for things people don't understand.

Forgive me if I trust the trained experts on this over the hateful lawmakers.

So again I will ask, can you name a single mental health disorder where we not only encourage the belief but we as a society ridicule anyone correcting it?

I was in the field for a fair amount of time and I cannot.

I guess I dont understand your angle here. While I have not practiced in over a decade, or even read through a DSM 5, it appears as though what I would call "gender identity disorder" aka gid in my day has now been renamed gender dysphoria and is certainly in the dsm 5.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...e as a society ridicule anyone correcting it?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...society ridicule anyone correcting it? Test
Let me clarify. It specifically states that gender non-conformity is not a mental disorder. That goes in the face of what a lot of people in this thread are saying, that being trans is a mental illness. It instead defines the the disorder as the distress or impairment resulting from the strong desire to be another gender.

Let me clarify. It specifically states that gender non-conformity is not a mental disorder. That goes in the face of what a lot of people in this thread are saying, that being trans is a mental illness. It instead defines the the disorder as the distress or impairment resulting from the strong desire to be another gender.
I appreciate the point of clarification and when we have people talking about youth killing themselves agree that needs to be addressed.

I don't care if you are a boy who thinks they are a girl, I don't care if you are a girl who thinks they are a boy. I I don't care if you think you are a xxxxxx. I used to not care about the athletic side of things, drawing my line at MMA and boxing. Recently I have changed on athletics as I recognize the advantage. My rule is:

Who you cuddle up with at night, after ingesting your preferred substance, while reading whatever book makes you happy, is none of my GD business. Thus I don't want to hear about it. If people are happy and not hurting anyone I don't really care. I just thought an incredibly simple question quite profound.

Reactions: Urohawk
So again I will ask, can you name a single mental health disorder where we not only encourage the belief but we as a society ridicule anyone correcting it?

I was in the field for a fair amount of time and I cannot.
This is my conclusion: Treating it as a disorder didn’t work and they went a different direction. People with gender identity problems kill themselves at very high rates, have high rates of depression, etc. I’ve been against the pronoun shit until recently. I’ve realized if it keeps one from having a mental health crisis, whatever, I’ll play along.

You can twist and contort however you want, maybe reading comprehension is tough. You're fringe because this is a political loser on both sides of the aisle and across every age group. It's not a womens' rights or gay rights issue fwiw. This will cost Dems seats.....on a culture issue that only a minority of Dems support.
Women wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Reactions: cigaretteman
This is my conclusion: Treating it as a disorder didn’t work and they went a different direction. People with gender identity problems kill themselves at very high rates, have high rates of depression, etc. I’ve been against the pronoun shit until recently. I’ve realized if it keeps one from having a mental health crisis, whatever, I’ll play along.
Fair enough and at the end of the day I want people to live a full life.

I went the other way with pronouns. I once didn't give a shit, and really still dont other than to laugh. Every butt**** in corporate America added pronouns to emails/linkedin/Facebook ect. I dont decide my adjectives either. I can't force people to call me handsome, just like I can't force people to call singular me "they".

You said it perfectly. We as a society are playing along with a mental disorder.

Reactions: NCHawk5
Who you cuddle up with at night, after ingesting your preferred substance, while reading whatever book makes you happy, is none of my GD business. Thus I don't want to hear about it. If people are happy and not hurting anyone I don't really care. I just thought an incredibly simple question quite profound.
You and I are pretty much in agreement with this. Life is too damn short to tell someone else how to live it.

You and I are pretty much in agreement with this. Life is too damn short to tell someone else how to live it.
You are still practicing so maybe you still are focusing on the bullets as they come at you. (Bless you for that) I would imagine though there have been points in your career where you have stepped back and thought, "why the hell are we doing it like that".

You seem fixated on this one part of the law. My 17 Y/O child after an evaluation by a Physiatrist as well as a Medical Doctor, receives testosterone which they inject into their leg as part of their gender affirming care. This law if were in Nebraska would have the Doctors as well as my wife and I put in prison for this. This has nothing to do with getting the parents involved. It is hate legislation for things people don't understand.

As I said to the poster whose nephew had issues I am glad your child has parents who are involved, aware, and supportive.

Your child has gone through puberty correct?

Fair enough and at the end of the day I want people to live a full life.

I went the other way with pronouns. I once didn't give a shit, and really still dont other than to laugh. Every butt**** in corporate America added pronouns to emails/linkedin/Facebook ect. I dont decide my adjectives either. I can't force people to call me handsome, just like I can't force people to call singular me "they".

You said it perfectly. We as a society are playing along with a mental disorder.
The problem is that those doing so on email/LinkedIn/Facebook are doing okay and either virtue signaling or simply trying to support others. I’ll say this frankly - where it matters is those who you don’t see on social media. There are a lot of people living their lives in the margins, getting little support and sometimes taking a lot of bullying or ridicule.

How someone identifies does not impact my life in any way and I don’t know anything about their situation. I see no reason to deviate from their preferred pronouns. Life is short. Take something positive from every interaction and don’t think that everyone will conform to your norms. Don’t be the a-hole.

Are you trying to say that a parents normal reaction would be to beat the shit out of their kid?

I certainly wasn't qualified to handle it. Most of my child's teachers weren't either. They have encountered some that were resistant. The school districts requirements of the teachers have been very supportive of them. Once in a while they still announce them by their legal name. They will be changing their name legally, as soon as the figure out a middle name. Mom insists they have one.

Some of their teachers have asked them to be open and help other students to understand. There has been very very little issues with the students though. They are fairly popular. More nerdy than some, and extremely talented artist. They have been a flag bearer for the LBGTQ community.

When they were 15 or so, it was our conversation about binding and top surgery that made it all real to me. Was binding causing health concerns? This was when I realized that education was essential.

Before this all hit home to me, the only real contact I had with a trans was with a Surgeon that had performed life saving surgery on my mom as well as myself. Countless people in our community have been saved by this man. He nearly lost his life undergoing gender reassignment surgy in Mexico, before it was widely available in the US. I walked out on my Mom, and drew the line, when she referred to him as Dr it. That was the last time she disrespected him.

People will hate what they don't understand. I can't change that. I can only hope, as time goes on we will have a better understanding, and less hate. My child is a wonderful person. You would really enjoy meeting them.

Are you assuming I hate trans people?

Let’s recap: you’ve threatened to shoot me and challenged me to a fight twice now. Something something glass houses.
I've never challenged you to a fight ever. Which tells me, that on top, of you being a sociopath, you aren't very good with the truth.

• Haha
Reactions: NCHawk5
ADVERTISEMENT