ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama is a dump

Dbq_Hawk

Team MVP
Sep 15, 2005
Went to Destin for spring break. The south is an absolute dump beside beach towns. I can’t believe how many junk yards, run down houses and trash we saw in rural Alabama and Florida. Came back through Mississippi on our way home to avoid major storms. Their roads seemed decent and a better ride. Memphis is trash as well.

Destin is a cool beach town and we saw a ton of iowa plates which was cool.

Where did you stay in Destin?
Based on your comments you were a tourist, what was your favorite restaurant?

Just curious, why in the F*** would let your pilot leave DTS and divert through MS to avoid weather?

• Haha
Reactions: funksouljon
When I graduated in 2001 my first office assignment was in Mobile, AL. I lived there for 3 years.

It was a very interesting place. The little towns outside of Mobile were like little time capsules of the 1930s.

Reactions: Dbq_Hawk
A majority of the people don’t have it very good in areas were tourism is the economy.

some super rich and a lot of poors. Great places to visit but I am not sure it would be my cup of tea for permanent residence.

the further you are from the ocean the more depressing it is IMO.

Huntsville is a nice city, I would live there. Birmingham is having a nice renaissance. The rest of Alabama is indeed a dump. I don’t even like Gulf Shores, honestly.

Inland Alabama and Mississippi is interesting. You'll see a really nice house and then next to it a run down property with three trailer houses right next to each other. Small towns that look on the decline with nice football stadiums.

I stayed in Nashville for a couple days around Christmas on my way to the Panhandle as well.

I drove around the outskirts and several residential areas (Percy Priest dam) and honestly could not believe the sheer amount of trash just laying in ditches/yards/wooded areas. Besides normal trash I couldn't believe the amount of mattresses/furniture/large boxes/etc either. It was nuts.

Had to wonder, do people just literally throw shit out the window of thier car (or truck in the case of the 'big ticket' items) on the regular in the south? Because it wasn't just Nashville either - it was a common theme the entire drive down there and back.

Huntsville is a nice city, I would live there. Birmingham is having a nice renaissance. The rest of Alabama is indeed a dump. I don’t even like Gulf Shores,

For the size of Birmingham it sure does suck to drive through it during rush hour... Hardly any roads going in and out of the city due to the hills making it impossible not to get caught up in it.. It's crazy that people commute in and put up with that traffic jam every day going to and from work.. no thank you

I stayed in Nashville for a couple days around Christmas on my way to the Panhandle as well.

I drove around the outskirts and several residential areas (Percy Priest dam) and honestly could not believe the sheer amount of trash just laying in ditches/yards/wooded areas. Besides normal trash I couldn't believe the amount of mattresses/furniture/large boxes/etc either. It was nuts.

Had to wonder, do people just literally throw shit out the window of thier car (or truck in the case of the 'big ticket' items) on the regular in the south? Because it wasn't just Nashville either - it was a common theme the entire drive down there and back.
Trash is a problem in a lot of places. I travel to Philadelphia quite a bit, inner city, Temple University area. That’s my take away too. Trash left on the streets everywhere, including mattresses, furniture , etc. I don’t think people are paying throwing it out their car windows, I think they just throw it out the front door of their house.

Reactions: goldmom
Tourists contribute but most bills are paid by the 21.5 million residents. I'm sure Iowa doesn't have any run down areas, right?
The run down areas of Iowa are different than the South or even parts of Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas

I think in parts of Iowa, many of the people who have little, put in effort to take care of their property

I have never been to Destin, the panhandle of Florida, or the Gulf Shores of Alabama.
But when I go to Nashville I go to have fun, not to look at neighborhoods. If I wanted to go to neighborhoods, I would go to Brentwood, Franklin, or someplace where there is money. I like to look at success.
Go to lower Broadway and have some fun.

Drove through Tennessee, Alabama, and Florida for spring break one year. It's a while different world, to say the least. Thought I was driving through a third world country most of the time.

Just another reason north>>>>>>>south.

We’ve made that drive a number of times down to Destin. Usually stay in Cullman AL the night before we can check into our Condo.

there are some really trashy areas but there are all also some beautiful places. which cannot be seen from the interstate or highways.

how busy was Destin this week? It had to be a zoo. We always go in July

Reactions: blackbones
The run down areas of Iowa are different than the South or even parts of Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas

I think in parts of Iowa, many of the people who have little, put in effort to take care of their property
Exactly. Driving through the poor neighborhoods in San Antonio and I'm always thinking about how this wouldn't look bad if people just picked up after themselves.

You don't have to have means to take a little pride in your home and neighborhood. To each their own, I guess.

Reactions: bdg8
My observations as a former Iowan who has moved south:

In general the south is definitely trashier than Iowa. Although the gap between Iowa and the south has closed a lot the last 20 years.

Iowans are okay with living in new developments right along major highways- see outskirts of DM. In the south, nobody with means wants to live anywhere near a highway and nicer neighborhoods/developments are off the beaten path, therefor perceptions of travelers are at least somewhat skewed.

Just curious, why in the F*** would let your pilot leave DTS and divert through MS to avoid weather?
Currently in Destin. There was a tornado watch

So far favorite restaurant is probably McGuires. Obviously the beaches are awesome.

Negatives. Traffic. And the hawkeye men and wrestlers laying an egg

Any great restaurant recommendations ?

A majority of the people don’t have it very good in areas were tourism is the economy.

some super rich and a lot of poors. Great places to visit but I am not sure it would be my cup of tea for permanent residence.

the further you are from the ocean the more depressing it is IMO.
This is true of pretty much anywhere. There are people that are well off and there are people who aren’t. No place is perfect. I feel very fortunate to have found and made my home in St Pete, FL. Theres a reason we are seeing exponential growth. People are coming from all over the US. World class beaches and a downtown with all the amenities you would ever want or need. I love Tampa Bay and I don’t think I’ll ever leave. Iowa is where I’m from, but St Pete is my home.

We were right off the Shirah St. beach access in Destin. Awesome location and nice house. Beach was beautiful. We ate at back porch, crab trap and Tailfins for iowa game last Sunday. All solid food. Took the kids to fudpuckers as well. They get you with video games and alligators. Food was below average.

They had severe storm warnings all throughout Alabama and traffic was brutal coming down so I thought I would take a different route. I was pleasantly surprised with Miss. kind of a scenic state with decent roads.

I also just got back from Orange Beach today. The south is different. I’m guessing this was your first time.
First time through Alabama and rural parts of Florida. Like you said just different. I just couldn’t believe the rundown houses and garbage everywhere. I think Iowa gets a bad rap and it is so much nicer than these other states.

Tourists contribute but most bills are paid by the 21.5 million residents. I'm sure Iowa doesn't have any run down areas, right?

The river towns are especially run down but in general there’s less poverty and the small, rural towns tend to be a little more tidy and clean in the upper Midwest.

I've thought about doing SB in Destin but always assumed it was too cold mid-March. Most days it doesn't even get to 70, right? It was 65 in Iowa this past week.

If RAGBRAI is any example, for almost 50 years, annually approximately 16,000 bicyclists from across the nation and around the world come to Iowa and have ridden through just about every small rural town and been on almost every paved two lane road between those towns. All you ever hear from out of state visitors is what a beautiful state Iowa is.

I've thought about doing SB in Destin but always assumed it was too cold mid-March. Most days it doesn't even get to 70, right? It was 65 in Iowa this past week.
Seems like it hits 70 on average. Iowa doesn’t have a beach and 70 feels pretty good for this Iowan.

It does now. I did have a friend who moved from Oklahoma in the 90's and marveled that we didn't have poor people. I think that had more to do with rural areas of Iowa not "looking" poor yet at that point.

Iowa was a great prosperous place rural and urban in the 1970's into the 80's when the farm crisis hit. We've never really recovered.

Driving through a town like Oelwein now is depressing as hell, I could remember it as this prosperous, clean, booming little city when I was growing up in the 70's and 80's.

Just stay home next year and we'll all be happier.
Of course it does.
Sorry I offended you. I was more so in shock and never believed the stereotype of rural areas in the south. I’m sure iowa has plenty of rundown areas as well. I grew up in a rural area with plenty of farms and gravels roads here in eastern iowa. Majority people keep up with their properties, buildings etc.

That being said, I love Florida and will keep coming back😁

I hadn't really thought about it before, but all, and I think it's all of my slacker friends from the IC area going back to the 80's have good jobs or situations now. And that's because if you're minimally resourceful/intelligent you're gonna fall into some good job or situation at some point in this area (goes for me too I guess) and be OK.

That's not true in small towns in Iowa. You're stuck and probably screwed.

Seems like it hits 70 on average. Iowa doesn’t have a beach and 70 feels pretty good for this Iowan.
This. I tried convincing our friend group go go farther south. We had a heated pool at our house so that helped. Gulf water was pretty cold but we still went in. I bet Destin is amazing in the summer. We looked at our house price in the summer and it doubled in price for a week

FREEDUMB!!!

I'll just be the blunt one here. The south is generally a shitehole. (there are certainly parts of iowa that are as well).

I've been to South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi (missed Alabama intentionally), Arkansas, etc. Trash. Trash. Trash.

Now, there are certainly exceptions to every rule. But you could not pay me to live down there. Unfortunately, as soon as the last kid in the house graduates, I might say the same about Iowa.

Reactions: Pinehawk
When I graduated in 2001 my first office assignment was in Mobile, AL. I lived there for 3 years.

It was a very interesting place. The little towns outside of Mobile were like little time capsules of the 1930s.
Mobile has really gotten better after Airbus moved in.

ADVERTISEMENT