ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama is a dump

My parents bought a house in Ft Myers/Naples a few years ago. Anything north of Tampa is too cold in their opinion.
We were in Naples for a few days over Christmas break. Awesome place besides not much public parking along the beach. Most of it is reserved for residents with passes. But I get it realizing it helps keep some visitors away. We tend to go to state parks for the beaches as they aren’t as crowded as other places.

We’re heading to Auburn and Alabama late this coming week/weekend for football visits. Hopefully it’s enjoyable.

After nearly 50 years in Atlanta, I agree with your parents. Which is why we're building our retirement home in Cape Coral and moving there in July.

This is true of pretty much anywhere. There are people that are well off and there are people who aren’t. No place is perfect. I feel very fortunate to have found and made my home in St Pete, FL. Theres a reason we are seeing exponential growth. People are coming from all over the US. World class beaches and a downtown with all the amenities you would ever want or need. I love Tampa Bay and I don’t think I’ll ever leave. Iowa is where I’m from, but St Pete is my home.
Son feels the same way.
He also has been there for 30-35 years now and acclimated to the temp.
Coming back to Iowa in the winter is not what he wants to do.

First time through Alabama and rural parts of Florida. Like you said just different. I just couldn’t believe the rundown houses and garbage everywhere. I think Iowa gets a bad rap and it is so much nicer than these other states.

On the way down, we stayed over night in Wentzville, MO (St Louis) and Huntsville, AL. We drove through, Nashville, Birmingham and Montgomery. I noticed lots of trash in the highways.

On the way down, we stayed over night in Wentzville, MO (St Louis) and Huntsville, AL. We drove through, Nashville, Birmingham and Montgomery. I noticed lots of trash in the highways.
Want to see trash along the roadway, drive north on the interstate going to Rockford, IL. It looks like people throw their trash bags out and drag it behind them.

Huntsville is a nice city, I would live there. Birmingham is having a nice renaissance. The rest of Alabama is indeed a dump. I don’t even like Gulf Shores, honestly.
Huntsville is decent but only because it is a creation of the Federal Government and it’s rules and regulations! NASA and the aeronautics industry attracts a better class of folks than what you will find in most Alabama locales.
Did you enjoy the road signs that read “Alabama, The Land that time Forgot!” If you travel Alabama, you can appreciate George Wallace and NASCAR.

The river towns are especially run down but in general there’s less poverty and the small, rural towns tend to be a little more tidy and clean in the upper Midwest.
Hey now. River towns like Sioux City, Dubuque, Quad Cities, etc have some real historic charm to them too.and they've really cleaned up and are undergoing a renaissance the last decade or so.

My observations from traveling in the South, rural Texas and Louisiana was that the upper Midwest was so much nicer. Iowa, the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin small towns and cities are gems.

Huntsville is decent but only because it is a creation of the Federal Government and it’s rules and regulations! NASA and the aeronautics industry attracts a better class of folks than what you will find in most Alabama locales.
Did you enjoy the road signs that read “Alabama, The Land that time Forgot!” If you travel Alabama, you can appreciate George Wallace and NASCAR.
It is true. Unlimited money can make a nice city, even in Alabama.

I don’t care what you guys say about the south, Ames will always be the armpit of the universe in my book.

Reactions: Hawkbiz
It stems from poverty. But, it’s also about pride in your property and community.
In Iowa, when some idiot throws a washing machine or a mattress in the ditch, it’s usually been removed within a week.

Reactions: Dbq_Hawk
It stems from poverty. But, it’s also about pride in your property and community.
In Iowa, when some idiot throws a washing machine or a mattress in the ditch, it’s usually been removed within a week.
Many town/cities also have regulations on that type of stuff. We get notice from the city if our grass is too long. They’ll eventually mow it and charge you. Can’t park in the grass, only so many vehicles, have sidewalks in certain areas etc. They actually enforce the things and I’m thankful for it.

I have lived in North Carolina for 30 years and think it is a nice compromise on both the weather and trashiness fronts. A good variety. I am glad that I grew up in Iowa but have never had the desire to move back.

Went to Destin for spring break. The south is an absolute dump beside beach towns. I can’t believe how many junk yards, run down houses and trash we saw in rural Alabama and Florida. Came back through Mississippi on our way home to avoid major storms. Their roads seemed decent and a better ride. Memphis is trash as well.

Destin is a cool beach town and we saw a ton of iowa plates which was cool.
Memphis looked like a total dump on the outskirts. Lots of poor in Mississippi and Alabama.

Reactions: joelbc1
I have family in Alabama, but they’re not originally from there. (They moved for a job).
It’s a small town in southwest Alabama and it’s depressing, I admit.
There are some pretty areas and prosperous towns - Fairhope is very near the coast and is nice - in between Mobile and Pensacola.
I’m not familiar with the garbage issue but I’ll say that the NY and Philly areas have highways littered with trash.

I’ve never been to Iowa but my imagination is limited to well kept farms that reflect a heritage passed down by German and Scandinavian forebears. That’s cultural and it’s a compliment.

Spend some time Juarez Mexico in the Colonia areas.
It even stinks like a dump
Haven't been there in 15+ years. Used to be a fun time going down there and drinking cheap beer and eating who-knows-what-type-of-meat street tacos. Won't be going back anytime soon for sure. Spent a weekend in an orphanage there and under no circumstances were we to leave the safe confines of the 8 ft concrete walls and locked iron gate after dark.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Haven't been there in 15+ years. Used to be a fun time going down there and drinking cheap beer and eating who-knows-what-type-of-meat street tacos. Won't be going back anytime soon for sure. Spent a weekend in an orphanage there and under no circumstances were we to leave the safe confines of the 8 ft concrete walls and locked iron gate after dark.
Have a good friend who runs a ministry down there. You don't go out walking at night. Was down there a week in November. 3 persons they were working with family to help were killed that week about 3 blocks away. 1 was gunned down by drug members because he was trying to break away from it.

• Sad
Reactions: red/green hawk
Any great restaurant recommendations ?

Sorry just saw your post -
The wife ( plenty of pics on onlyfans) likes the views so:
If it is you and your significant other, Beach Walk Cafe- food is good, but the views are great
Deweys ( either side)
Pompano Joe's ( Miramar)
Fish Out of Water ( Santa Rosa Beach , which further down is better everything IMO)
Stinky's

The Donut Hole for breakfast, very crowded
Ruperts or AJ's for adult beverages --take a Uber, do not drive after drinking as the local sheriffs are active

Last edited:
They had severe storm warnings all throughout Alabama and traffic was brutal coming down so I thought I would take a different route. I was pleasantly surprised with Miss. kind of a scenic state with decent roads.

Apologies, that was my bad, I assumed you flew into DTS and your pilot made that course correction when leaving Destin. I didn't even think about driving to Destin. I agree MS has some nice areas to drive through, the difference from the coast all the way thru the delta is very interesting.

Hope you guys had a good vacation

Y’all Yankees are aware that 95, 75, US 301/441 run back north, right? 😉
Lived in VA for 15 years and always asked the ahole New Yorkers and New Jerkian’s if they were aware of this as well. Add in the those from Penn, Conn, and Assachusetts too. They couldn’t head back north soon enough for me when took over a restaurant or bar area with their loud, overbearing selves.

Reactions: goldmom
Have a good friend who runs a ministry down there. You don't go out walking at night. Was down there a week in November. 3 persons they were working with family to help were killed that week about 3 blocks away. 1 was gunned down by drug members because he was trying to break away from it.
They used to have pink ribbons on all the telephone poles. Not sure if they still do. There was literally thousands. The local who ran the orphanage told me each ribbon represents a teenage girl who was kidnapped and killed and her organs harvested by the cartels to sell to Chinese autocrats. Sick, scary shit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT