ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama is a dump

Rural and urban poverty has been increasing at a rapid rate over the last 50 years. It stemmed from many things but some of these the reasons were:
-lack of jobs, thus the move to more urban areas
-the elimination of family farms
-the Walmart effect and the impact on main street
-the ease of travel, the internet and the ability for people to see the world more freely

Point is that in many cases, those that could relocate to better their lives did so. Look no further than a place like Gary or East St. Louis. Both were urban but had populations of over 100k in the 1960 census and then major shifts in jobs, etc. started. White flight occurred and the rest is history. You can also look at Detroit, Philly, etc.

Then you can look at rust belt towns around the country there are 100's of examples of towns 30k and above that had some form of manufacturing and lost many jobs and it killed the town. Clinton and Burlington could be on this list.

The south is having a great migration of retirees and people seeking more sun and warmth. But with that comes many other growing pain issues and they are not immune to many of the same ills that have hit the rust belt/Midwest for years. The reduction of the size of the middle class and the extremes of the haves and have nots will continue to create areas of affluence and immense poverty.

Has OP never left Iowa before? This thread title seems like the most Captain Obvious post ever on HROT.
First sentence of first post states op went to destin, fl. Are you stupid or……? Nevermind, no need to answer.

Sorry I offended you. I was more so in shock and never believed the stereotype of rural areas in the south. I’m sure iowa has plenty of rundown areas as well. I grew up in a rural area with plenty of farms and gravels roads here in eastern iowa. Majority people keep up with their properties, buildings etc.

That being said, I love Florida and will keep coming back😁
If you had just left Florida out of your OP, I would've given you a like.

We‘re all Americans. Your Schtick is old and tired. People are migrating to warmer weather. You’re not special because you’re from here. And you can thank us “Yankees” for our work ethic and money.
You know, I was joking. You seem defensive and there’s no need.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Has anybody in this thread lived or is living in Alabama? My wife, no pic available, is getting stationed at Maxwell AFB Montgomery. We are looking at the East Chase area along with Pike Road and Prattville. Thoughts?

We take Pike Road to get to I85 when traveling to Atlanta. There are some beautiful homes and subdivisions along that route.

I'll just be the blunt one here. The south is generally a shitehole. (there are certainly parts of iowa that are as well).

I've been to South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi (missed Alabama intentionally), Arkansas, etc. Trash. Trash. Trash.

Now, there are certainly exceptions to every rule. But you could not pay me to live down there. Unfortunately, as soon as the last kid in the house graduates, I might say the same about Iowa.
As the saying goes, to each their own. You stay in Iowa, and I will stay in Florida.

Reactions: goldmom
Tourists contribute but most bills are paid by the 21.5 million residents. I'm sure Iowa doesn't have any run down areas, right?
You already know the answer to that.

I live in Georgia, and I can say with absolute certainty it is beautiful down here. That’s not to say Iowa doesn’t have plenty of beauty, but there are plenty of shithole towns and areas too.

I will also add I have yet to drive any countryside down here and smell cow shit for miles, which IIRC will be happening in Iowa soon (and in the fall) when farmers fertilize their fields.

Reactions: DFSNOLE

I live in Georgia, and I can say with absolute certainty it is beautiful down here. That’s not to say Iowa doesn’t have plenty of beauty, but there are plenty of shithole towns and areas too.

I will also add I have yet to drive any countryside down here and smell cow shit for miles, which IIRC will be happening in Iowa soon (and in the fall) when farmers fertilize their fields.
Obviously, folks don’t put brown shit on red turf!

The problem with Atlanta is that it’s surrounded by Georgia.

We‘re all Americans. Your Schtick is old and tired. People are migrating to warmer weather. You’re not special because you’re from here. And you can thank us “Yankees” for our work ethic and money.
She was being facetious.

Lighten up, Francis.

I’ve ventured out beyond the Atlanta area. There are some beautiful areas. Yes, I have no doubt there are plenty of shithole places, but that’s everywhere.

You can find whatever you’re looking for. And I have family and friends who live in Alabama. To characterize the whole entire state as a “dump” is to insult the fine people of Nebraska.

Oh, I kid, I kid!

I’ve ventured out beyond the Atlanta area. There are some beautiful areas. Yes, I have no doubt there are plenty of shithole places, but that’s everywhere.

You can find whatever you’re looking for. And I have family and friends who live in Alabama. To characterize the whole entire state as a “dump” is to insult the fine people of Nebraska.

Oh, I kid, I kid!
It’s just something I heard living in the panhandle. Also “do you know why Florida doesn’t break off and float off into the Gulf? Because Georgia sucks”

I'll just be the blunt one here. The south is generally a shitehole. (there are certainly parts of iowa that are as well).

I've been to South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi (missed Alabama intentionally), Arkansas, etc. Trash. Trash. Trash.

Now, there are certainly exceptions to every rule. But you could not pay me to live down there. Unfortunately, as soon as the last kid in the house graduates, I might say the same about Iowa.

Where do you see trash in Iowa?

Communities police themselves and some take pride and some don't. My community enforces ordinances for only some for reasons we can't decipher.

There has been a deterioration as small towns lost population. The "meth" syndrome, real or perceived set in and towns became run down junkyards and trash heaps.

One of my college friends moved to Atlanta to attend law school at Emory, and never left. Built an enormously successful career and served on the Board of Trustees for FSU.
This was always his go to saying about Atlanta as it related to the rest of Georgia.
The state has beautiful beaches and is spectacular in the Northern mountainous parts. I’ve lived all over the country and to be fair every part has it’s not so pretty areas. Okay maybe Utah. Never have I seen such a beautiful place.

One of my college friends moved to Atlanta to attend law school at Emory, and never left. Built an enormously successful career and served on the Board of Trustees for FSU.
This was always his go to saying about Atlanta as it related to the rest of Georgia.
The state has beautiful beaches and is spectacular in the Northern mountainous parts. I’ve lived all over the country and to be fair every part has it’s not so pretty areas. Okay maybe Utah. Never have I seen such a beautiful place.

Oh Utah has them, you just have to look a bit harder. But they exist.
ATL has some great areas but you don't have to go far to find its sh!tholes, there's a ton! (yes, its his saying, its just funny so many people in ATL are blind to their own city. Just like Jax people ;) ) I love the GA mountains.

Funny this thread is basically "your poor people are more slovenly and poor than ours".

Oh Utah has them, you just have to look a bit harder. But they exist.
ATL has some great areas but you don't have to go far to find its sh!tholes, there's a ton! (yes, its his saying, its just funny so many people in ATL are blind to their own city. Just like Jax people ;) ) I love the GA mountains.

Funny this thread is basically "your poor people are more slovenly and poor than ours".
You’re right.

You’re right.

My brother moved to Utah in 2003? and has yet to leave. He loves it, even with all it's warts. I could definitely live there but am a little concerned about it's ability to keep reliable water supply. Hard to say if they are worse off than us in Colorado, but both of us are going to be far worse off than anyone in the East.

Reactions: goldmom and lucas80
I hate to ever give Lone Clone too much credit, but he repeatedly posted that you could immediately tell if a state had a can redemption law when you hit the state line. States that do not have a bottle redemption law are always trashier.

Has OP never left Iowa before? This thread title seems like the most Captain Obvious post ever on HROT.
My first time to the panhandle. I have been to Tampa/Clearwater area several times as well as Orlando for park vacations. Majority of the time we fly. With going to Destin is was too pricey to fly down from iowa so we figured we would drive. Once you hit Montgomery from the north gps takes you on all these backroads into northern Florida. I was just shocked on how rundown the Alabama- Florida line was.

I have family in Alabama, but they’re not originally from there. (They moved for a job).
It’s a small town in southwest Alabama and it’s depressing, I admit.
There are some pretty areas and prosperous towns - Fairhope is very near the coast and is nice - in between Mobile and Pensacola.
I’m not familiar with the garbage issue but I’ll say that the NY and Philly areas have highways littered with trash.

I’ve never been to Iowa but my imagination is limited to well kept farms that reflect a heritage passed down by German and Scandinavian forebears. That’s cultural and it’s a compliment.
All Southern comments aside, Florida is so much nicer than Alabama, it's not even funny. Fla has its crappy areas for sure but I feel like it has WAY more higher end areas than Bama does that mostly make up for its rural backwoods areas. Alabama truly feels like a depressing third world countries in certain areas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT