ADVERTISEMENT

Alabama, Mourning

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
Normally I hate to see Alabama win at all. But, I am glad they did for two reasons. One is that the field goal kicker will not have to see a crisis counselor for the rest of his life. Two is that as much as a dislike Saban, the fact is he took a large risk that Kirk or just about any other coach in American would not have done. Acknowledging that the offense was getting no where he benched his starter and went with the true freshman backup. Dang that took guts.
With all the bowl games over I am officially in college football mourning. Other than wrestling, college football is my favorite sport. Typically, I will clear my schedule, turn on the TV at 11:00 and start watching games until they are all over (maybe not quite that much, but pretty darn near close). Next season can't be here quick enough!

Normally I hate to see Alabama win at all. But, I am glad they did for two reasons. One is that the field goal kicker will not have to see a crisis counselor for the rest of his life. Two is that as much as a dislike Saban, the fact is he took a large risk that Kirk or just about any other coach in American would not have done. Acknowledging that the offense was getting no where he benched his starter and went with the true freshman backup. Dang that took guts.
With all the bowl games over I am officially in college football mourning. Other than wrestling, college football is my favorite sport. Typically, I will clear my schedule, turn on the TV at 11:00 and start watching games until they are all over (maybe not quite that much, but pretty darn near close). Next season can't be here quick enough!

I am not necessarily a Saban fan, nor a hater either, but that decision took some stones and I have A LOT of respect for that decisive action. It was also really good to see that the QB that was removed seemed to take it well. Then he "doubled down" when the freshman QB made a silly mistake and threw a bad pick...and, ye gods, he left him in there!!

Without making that change, and sticking with it, Bama loses that game. Major props to Saban, VERY few coaches would have been able to allow themselves to make those moves.

Saban is a great coach, but it is easier when you have a 5 star to sub in for the 5 star. Just saying he has a lot more options on that bench than most teams.

I am not necessarily a Saban fan, nor a hater either, but that decision took some stones and I have A LOT of respect for that decisive action. It was also really good to see that the QB that was removed seemed to take it well. Then he "doubled down" when the freshman QB made a silly mistake and threw a bad pick...and, ye gods, he left him in there!!

Without making that change, and sticking with it, Bama loses that game. Major props to Saban, VERY few coaches would have been able to allow themselves to make those moves.

I don't know really know if it can be considered that ballsy when your entire roster is just loaded with elite players. You just plug and play.

Reactions: 24 so far
Okay, that is funny. When he missed that kick I thought 'oh sh&T' better change your name and go into witness protection."

Yeah, all in the span of 20 minutes he went from potentially never having to pay for a drink in Alabama again, to potentially never being able to order a drink in Alabama again........and then it was a wash. Now he can get his NC ring and fade into obscurity. Bet he went to the hotel last night and threw up, then slept like a baby!!

Reactions: Rustys Dad
I dislike them as much as anyone else, but i have to say i was impressed with the humility and class the two QB's showed in the post-game interviews. Of course this morning the video of the 'bama defender shoving UG's quarterback's head into the turf shows up to restore order.

Jealousy is a bad look. I won't wear it.

Alabama has their dynasty now just like UCLA had it in basketball in the 60s and 70s.

It won't last forever.

I heard someone say before the game, Saban would have more NC's if he'd only had good kickers. Almost proven again. I know we often complain about our kicking situations, but how come Alabama can't get good kickers?

I don't know really know if it can be considered that ballsy when your entire roster is just loaded with elite players. You just plug and play.

Certainly Saban had reason to be confident in calling on the freshman and having a well stocked cupboard is huge advantage, but I still see that as a very good decision that he made, that did have significant risk associated with it.

I heard someone say before the game, Saban would have more NC's if he'd only had good kickers. Almost proven again. I know we often complain about our kicking situations, but how come Alabama can't get good kickers?

Even good kickers miss (not trying to have that sound like a tool). I'd say he's had good ones. Look at Nate Kaeding. We'd all say he was a legend, but ask around in San Diego.....

Its funny how people act like Alabama is just given the best recruits. They werent recruiting or winning like that before he came....being able to sell recruits on the program is a HUGE factor on what kind of program you have so why cant people give him credit for building the Alabama brand? Hell, they were playing iowa state in a bowl in 01 if i recall.

Whether you like him or not, the way Saban manages egoes (not a KF strength to say the least) on a roster of mostly 4-5 stars and gets them to buy into the team concept and stay focused even after all the success is nothing short of spectacular. Like another poster said, jealousy isnt a good look. I tip my cap to Alabama. The humility and grace those qb's showed after the game was very cool to see.

Last edited:
Agree. I'm not a Kirk basher at all, I wish he would at least play is back up QB more...You never know when the number one is going to get hurt or not perform well.Heck the two and three get quality reps in practice, let it rip, you never know until you try.....

Certainly Saban had reason to be confident in calling on the freshman and having a well stocked cupboard is huge advantage, but I still see that as a very good decision that he made, that did have significant risk associated with it.

I pretty much thought the same thing on Saban’s decision to put the freshman in UNTIL I found out the freshman had come to him after the season and told Saban if he did not play in the game he was transferring. Kind of made the move a little of a “no lose” situation.

Last edited:
I pretty much thought the same thing on Saban’s decision to put the freshman in UNTIL I found out the freshman had come to him after the season and told Sagan if he did not play in the game he was transferring. Kind of made the move a little of a “no lose” situation.

Hmmm, I did not know that and that is certainly a wrinkle to consider. But I still like Saban's willingness to take the risk in that situation. Had it not worked out, he would have had a lot to deal with and I still am of the opinion that very few coaches would take that risk...even though we now know that there were other, countervailing risks present too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT