ADVERTISEMENT

Alaric Jackson

I feel like the vegan thing was more of an F U to Doyle then anything else.. am I wrong?
I suppose anything is possible but at that level aren’t you truly trying to do what’s best for your position/body to get to the NFL? I get it if you hate your S&C guy but if he’s right he’s right. If what you’re saying would be true, that’s a horribly expensive “FU”.

Not surprised. Big Al was very inconsistent, game to game and play to play. He always seemed just good enough to keep the guy behind him on the bench. I listen to a lot of Sirius and never heard him mentioned.

A KC practice squad position might be open. The Chiefs have certainly learned the lesson of a deep line. That might be a good deal for Al.

How does a guy start that many years at Iowa, at left tackle none the less, and not even get picked in the last round.
Kind of blows my mind.
He has slow feet, zero position flexibility combined with he’s physically weak with short arms and performed underwealmingly at the pro day this is not a mystery. His losing 20 lbs. and going vegan were a totally disastrous maneuver. Hope he can land as a backup guard on a roster. That’s his ceiling.

Nixon should have come back another year period. He got what he earned. 5th round.
I think he got bad info following the success and awards he accumulated from last season....in a covid-shortened season.

That's not to say I don't think he's NFL-ready. We're talking more about him maximizing his draft status, which equals more money up front.

Jackson never seemed to take football that serious. The Vegan crap is a huge indication of that. The NFL is not a place for players who are not 100% committed to being the best. It is just to competitive. I see about 2 years on a practice squad, then probably assistant manager at McDonalds. Nixon needs to go into camp fired up working harder than the next guy or he may be short lived also.

Jackson was injured for a big chunk of 2019 season. Maybe thise injuries reset him and he wasnt able to get back to preinjury form. I dont remember exactly what his injury was

Jackson never seemed to take football that serious. The Vegan crap is a huge indication of that. The NFL is not a place for players who are not 100% committed to being the best. It is just to competitive. I see about 2 years on a practice squad, then probably assistant manager at McDonalds. Nixon needs to go into camp fired up working harder than the next guy or he may be short lived also.
Wow...

Being vegan does not exclude one from success in the NFL, even for linemen. Like anything, to do it well takes education and dedication. I grew up on a livestock farm and enjoy meat, but have also learned to cook vegan dishes as we have some in our extended family. It can be done.

Vegan diet had nothing to do with going undrafted. His body looked better this year than any other and his play was better this year than last year.

In run blocking, possibly. Not in pass pro. And I agree his deficiencies had nothing to do with his diet.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Here is a good scouting report on him.

POSITIVES

—Improved his body composition from 2019 to 2020, giving him a much-needed boost to his agility

—Adequate athletic ability and quickness out of his stance

—Does a nice job using his backside hand to catch and cut-off inside penetration to secure the defender

—Flashes impressive square power on angle-drive, Deuce and second level blocks when he lines up his target

—Processes, passes off and picks up basic stunts and twists quickly

NEGATIVES

—Limited range to hit his landmark against speed rushers off of the edge; turns his hips, crosses over and creates a soft inside shoulder
—Disjointed footwork causes him to struggle to marry his upper and lower halves, resulting in an inadequate anchor against speed to power

—Has a bad habit of playing on his toes in the drive portion of kickout blocks, resulting in a top heavy, unstable base

—Inconsistent aiming points in the run game that results in him overshooting his target, too often allowing quick penetration

OVERALL

Jackson is a four-year starter at left tackle with the skill-set best suited for a move inside in a zone-based run scheme where his functional athletic ability can be better capitalized on and his comfort short setting in pass protection can find a more natural home.

Jackson didn’t begin his football career until his junior year of high school and showed notable improvement from his 2019 to 2020 film in terms of body composition and performance, so there are some encouraging signs that his best football may be ahead of him. Right now, Jackson is a backup caliber player because of erratic footwork, body control and balance.

Based on that scouting report, I can see why he fell. The negatives are loaded with reasons why he'd get owned by DLinemen in the NFL. Hopefully he can get some continued coaching on his technique and carve out a niche for himself.

Vegan diet had nothing to do with going undrafted. His body looked better this year than any other and his play was better this year than last year.

giphy.gif

I don't agree - he was bull-rushed and "bullied" too many times this past season.

It honestly looked like he'd lost significant strength and power.
He was bull-rushed plenty of times the last few years. He's always been somewhat inconsistent (2018 Minnesota is the first game that comes to mind, and then 2019 Michigan). People just like to harp on the vegan thing because it makes for an easy target.

Reactions: littlez
He was bull-rushed plenty of times the last few years. He's always been somewhat inconsistent (2018 Minnesota is the first game that comes to mind, and then 2019 Michigan). People just like to harp on the vegan thing because it makes for an easy target.
JFC it is a biological fact that strength is built from protein and fat, look at what happened to Bill Walton when he went vegan.

• Haha
Reactions: David1979
ADVERTISEMENT