ADVERTISEMENT

Alaric Jackson

But it is the best, most consistent source. By the way, vegans do not eat dairy either
And? It's still possible to get it through supplements and vegan versions of said foods.

I'm not even vegan, but the hate he's gotten for it is stupid. The guy is 6'7" and 300 lbs still. You don't lose the amount of strength people claim he has in a single offseason of going vegan. Muscle doesn't just disappear like that.

Reactions: littlez and ping72
And? It's still possible to get it through supplements and vegan versions of said foods.

I'm not even vegan, but the hate he's gotten for it is stupid. The guy is 6'7" and 300 lbs still. You don't lose the amount of strength people claim he has in a single offseason of going vegan. Muscle doesn't just disappear like that.
Actually muscle mas disappears fast.

I have no dog in this fight, but the NFL wants guys who will go for any advantage at all, and it seems everybody is a slave to the conventional wisdom. Which would probably say, only go vegan if you're sure it will make you a better football player...and even then you will be second guessed

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
He was bull-rushed plenty of times the last few years. He's always been somewhat inconsistent (2018 Minnesota is the first game that comes to mind, and then 2019 Michigan). People just like to harp on the vegan thing because it makes for an easy target.
I don’t agree either. I thought he lost explosion and strength, seem to get owned quite a bit this year by quicker DL.
I wish him the BEST seems like a good kid, I question his mean streak.

I don't agree - he was bull-rushed and "bullied" too many times this past season.

It honestly looked like he'd lost significant strength and power.
Being a vegan doesn't make you weak. If he ate the proper macros and kept his wright lifting up then he would be just fine. Now, he may not have taken in the proper micronutrients due to not knowing what to do. But to directly say being a vegan (if done correctly) is what caused him to lose strength and power, is not true.

But again, he may not have gotten enough of each macro.

Lol at people thinking a Vegan diet kept Alaric from getting drafted. Kinda folks that would consider storming the Capitol because they don’t like the election results.

Being a vegan doesn't make you weak. If he ate the proper macros and kept his wright lifting up then he would be just fine. Now, he may not have taken in the proper micronutrients due to not knowing what to do. But to directly say being a vegan (if done correctly) is what caused him to lose strength and power, is not true.

But again, he may not have gotten enough of each macro.
I'm not making the vegan-to-weaker connection. I'm just saying he seemed less powerful for whatever reason.

Reactions: pink shizzle
What about this guy?
Steroids....LOL I am sure he is using Whey Protein and other powdered/pill supplements, which one would assume Aleric would use as well.

Reactions: TheCDiggity
I thought Jackson was really underwhelming last year. I expected to see him dominate and he never got to that level. I hope he works his way onto a NFL roster and makes a career out of it.

Reactions: DewHawk
Vegan diet had nothing to do with going undrafted. His body looked better this year than any other and his play was better this year than last year.

Apparently a shit load of NFL scouts and GMs don't agree. But, hey... what would they know?

i think your feeling is just a feeling thet I feel different about. But I might feel wrong.

feelings..... (sing it)

Jackson never seemed to take football that serious. The Vegan crap is a huge indication of that. The NFL is not a place for players who are not 100% committed to being the best. It is just to competitive. I see about 2 years on a practice squad, then probably assistant manager at McDonalds. Nixon needs to go into camp fired up working harder than the next guy or he may be short lived also.
You wouldn't say the same about the Big Ten?

I don't agree - he was bull-rushed and "bullied" too many times this past season.

It honestly looked like he'd lost significant strength and power.

But how do we know the strength and power loss was exclusively from a vegan diet given that he was coming off injuries that seemed to have resulted from carrying too much weight in his frame?

If anything, he should have switched to veganism years earlier to prevent the injury. Maybe the issue is how he worked out rather than the nutrition specifically. Or, maybe, just maybe, he just doesn't have the body to maintain the strength and athleticism necessary at an NFL level no matter what he does.

There are too many potential contributors to say veganism was a mistake. Plus, if you consider him a human being rather than just an NFL player, veganism may extend his life by a decade if he keeps at it. He wasn't going to live a long time if he didn't make some changes to his lifestyle (he was way overweight his first year) and sometimes that's the biggest benefit of being involved in sports at the collegiate level.

Reactions: littlez
It's pretty simple. None of the people making the decisions thought he was better than the players they drafted ahead of him.

The easiest, most obvious answer is very often the right one. People just have a hard time accepting it sometimes. He wasn't drafted because he was vegan or doesn't have a mean streak or whatever other reason wants to be dreamed up. The teams thought there were better linemen. Simple as that.

Its totally the vegan decision, just on principle. I mean if you voluntarily give up a big ribeye, you deserve to look bad.

(Sarcasm warning)

JFC it is a biological fact that strength is built from protein and fat, look at what happened to Bill Walton when he went vegan.
This is what happened to Bill Walton

41f+dGMHW1L.jpg

But how do we know the strength and power loss was exclusively from a vegan diet given that he was coming off injuries that seemed to have resulted from carrying too much weight in his frame?

If anything, he should have switched to veganism years earlier to prevent the injury. Maybe the issue is how he worked out rather than the nutrition specifically. Or, maybe, just maybe, he just doesn't have the body to maintain the strength and athleticism necessary at an NFL level no matter what he does.

There are too many potential contributors to say veganism was a mistake. Plus, if you consider him a human being rather than just an NFL player, veganism may extend his life by a decade if he keeps at it. He wasn't going to live a long time if he didn't make some changes to his lifestyle (he was way overweight his first year) and sometimes that's the biggest benefit of being involved in sports at the collegiate level.
Yeah, if you saw my post a few minutes later I clarified I wasn't necessarily bridging going vegan to being weaker - the "I don't agree" part was my opinion that he simply looked like he'd lost some of his punch and power.

I've never gone vegan, or even vegetarian, so I don't factually know how (or if) it affected Alaric negatively for football.

What i do know though is going vegan makes it more challenging to get some vital nutrients/proteins into and absorbed by the body & muscle. And.. to your point.. maybe AJ was thinking more about his life and less about his football future. I don't know!? :)

Sounds
JFC it is a biological fact that strength is built from protein and fat, look at what happened to Bill Walton when he went vegan.
Do you know one of the world's strongest men is a vegan? And there are pro bowl NFL players that are vegan. Come on. Meat isn't the only source of protein and fat.

Last edited:
The biggest thing I have seen that commentators say that hurt Jackson was his lack of versatility. Teams want to know they can plug you in at several different positions. Hopefully he has been working hard and he can prove that he can do that. We know that several Iowa OL have earned spots and have had careers after not being drafted. Just look at Boettger. Or heck, I know Blythe was drafted but it was in the 7th round and then he was waived by the Colts.

Sounds

Do you know one of the world's strongest men is a vegan? And there are pro bowl NFL players that are vegan. Come on. Meat isn't the only source of protein and fat.
I wonder why that stands out and the information can be found so easily? Perhaps because it is unique? I can't seem to find the list of pro bowlers who eat meat. I did find the list of 10 current and former NFL players who are vegans. I would have thought they could compile a lengthy list of current players, not sure why they didn't.

• Haha
Reactions: David1979

You do know that Veganism is Classist and in many instances a show of White Privilege. Yup. To be a Vegan you have to have extra cash to spend on supplements and vitamins, and live in an area where fresh fruits and vegetables are readily available. Large swaths of Americans live in areas appropriately named food deserts because they don't have access to these types of food items and most are in areas where minorities reside.
Veganism is a syndrome of the wealthy and the white, (or in the case of some college athletes the schools paying for it). Hilarious that in general those promoting it are the same people who rail about White Privilege.

Yeah, if you saw my post a few minutes later I clarified I wasn't necessarily bridging going vegan to being weaker - the "I don't agree" part was my opinion that he simply looked like he'd lost some of his punch and power.

I've never gone vegan, or even vegetarian, so I don't factually know how (or if) it affected Alaric negatively for football.

What i do know though is going vegan makes it more challenging to get some vital nutrients/proteins into and absorbed by the body & muscle. And.. to your point.. maybe AJ was thinking more about his life and less about his football future. I don't know!? :)

Yeah, veganism is definitely NOT the way to build muscle mass and strength. Gotta load up on protein and calories. Jackson decided his frame couldn't carry the weight, but was he right? I'm not sure. He had too much fat to know whether his body could handle turning that into more muscle.

For whatever reason, he thought going smaller was better for him, but from a football perspective? Better to build up the muscle mass through eating A LOT and working out like a mad man. I don't know anything about his workout habits, though, so I can't really say.

Cheers! 😀

I was slightly surprised Alaric didn't get drafted. I was VERY surprised Nixon fell to the 5th round.
Says something about the evaluation process and feedback kids are getting. Nixon would have done well to come back for another year.

Nixon dominated last year. 1st team all B1G. What more was he going to prove next year. He was being touted by almost all after the season as a 1st or at worst 2nd round pick. He will be fine. He’s a beast.

Jackson never seemed to take football that serious. The Vegan crap is a huge indication of that. The NFL is not a place for players who are not 100% committed to being the best. It is just to competitive. I see about 2 years on a practice squad, then probably assistant manager at McDonalds. Nixon needs to go into camp fired up working harder than the next guy or he may be short lived also.
Good to see you’re still an asshole knocking a 4 year starter at Iowa. Manager at McDonalds? You’re a real funny guy. Guessing with all your tough talk you’re probably out there making a million a year.

You do know that Veganism is Classist and in many instances a show of White Privilege. Yup. To be a Vegan you have to have extra cash to spend on supplements and vitamins, and live in an area where fresh fruits and vegetables are readily available. Large swaths of Americans live in areas appropriately named food deserts because they don't have access to these types of food items and most are in areas where minorities reside.
Veganism is a syndrome of the wealthy and the white, (or in the case of some college athletes the schools paying for it). Hilarious that in general those promoting it are the same people who rail about White Privilege.
This is just false.

When he talked about it I think he said he wanted to drop a lot of the bad weight he had. he also mentioned he wanted to get faster and quicker so I am guessing dropping the bad weight was part of it. My guess is that he didn't fully invest in adding the muscle to replace the bad weight. This is just speculation but we never heard Jackson's name mentioned when talking about the workout warriors in the Iowa weight room. He did this with the full blessing of the staff so I am sure they told him what he needed to eat to make sure he was getting 1 to 1 replacement but we don't know if he followed it to a tee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT