ADVERTISEMENT

Aldi to buy 400 Winn-Dixie, Harveys groceries in Southern US

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Discount grocer Aldi said Wednesday it plans to buy 400 Winn-Dixie and Harveys supermarkets in the southern U.S.

Under a proposed merger agreement, Aldi will acquire all outstanding shares of Jacksonville, Florida-based Southeastern Grocers Inc., the parent company of Winn-Dixie and Harveys. If the deal is approved by regulators, it’s expected to close in the first half of 2024.

Financial terms of the deal weren’t disclosed. Both Southeastern Grocers and Aldi are private companies. Aldi is based in Germany with a U.S. headquarters in Batavia, Illinois.

Aldi said the deal supports its long-term growth strategy in the U.S., where it expects to have 2,400 stores by the end of this year. The Winn-Dixie and Harveys supermarkets it’s acquiring are primarily in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Mississippi.

Aldi said it will convert some locations to its own brand and format, which cuts costs with features like lean inventories and self-bagging. But it will operate some stores under the Winn-Dixie and Harveys brands.

The deal comes amid wider consolidation in the grocery industry as customers increasingly defect to big box stores like Walmart, which controls more than 20% of U.S. grocery sales. Last fall, Kroger and Albertsons — two of the largest U.S. grocery chains — announced plans to merge in a $20 billion deal. Regulators are reviewing that plan now; if it’s approved, it is expected to close early next year.

It doesn't get much worse that Winn Dixie. They have a few good stores, but overall, they suck. Probably a good move to change things up.

Reactions: OrlandNole
I've only been to a few Winn Dixies, and all around the Tampa area, but I like them. Their buy one get one specials are great and they have a good and cheap meat and seafood selection. In midwest terms, it seems like Winn Dixie and Publix are like Hy-Vee and Fareway here. I'll pick Fareway everyday except for Sunday... Since they're closed...

Interesting that some are being converted to Aldi's but some are staying Winn Dixie. I am not familiar with Harvey's. I assume its similar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT