ADVERTISEMENT

Alec Baldwin and prop lady to be charged with 2 counts of involuntary manslaughter.

It's a movie set. The gun was handed to him and told it was cold. This is not the real world situation. There were never ever supposed to be live rounds in the gun.
And protocol is not to point a real gun at someone and pull the trigger.

It wasn’t a prop.

Again, in all the years of shooting movies this is the first time it's EVER happened.

Brandon_Lee_%28as_an_adult%29.jpg

I can’t wait to see Alec in an orange jumpsuit. Maybe he can be bunk buddies with Trump.

rudimentary firearm training doesn't cover distinguishing the difference in the look of a live vs blank round. They're made to look like live rounds, they just don't have a projectile. It takes more specialized training from what I've read to distinguish them, which is why there are better procedures to do that involving people who are trained. Should they also be required to check the brake lines and tire pressures on cars they drive or make certain food they serve doesn't actually contain poison? Again, in all the years of shooting movies this is the first time it's EVER happened. It's a bit ridiculous to demand actors understand all the ins and outs of every prop they handle.

Not nearly as complicated as you are making it out to be,... In very simplistic terms the typical live round is comprised of (2) major and very visible elements, the casing & the bullet,.. Blanks have a casing but do not have the bullet.

They do lots of things in movies that you wouldn't do it real life. It's the movies.
maxresdefault.jpg

cd4978ce-8fff-42d9-a054-502d3d571c28_5c4748fa.jpg
600px-T-RobberLeadPistola.jpg

Not nearly as complicated as you are making it out to be,... In very simplistic terms the typical live round is comprised of (2) major and very visible elements, the casing & the bullet,.. Blanks have a casing but do not have the bullet.
OK, but if you're an armorer and load a pistol with blanks and hand it to the actor before a scene, do you really want the actor to eject the clip, take all the rounds out and inspect them, and load them back up before the scene?

If you're an armorer, wouldn't you then want to inspect the weapon again to make sure the actor didn't some way, some how load a live round into the magazine?

Seems like it would paralyze a film set if actors can't rely on the expertise of the armorers. Then again, I've never been on a set so have no idea what is done.

Reactions: kc78
OK, but if you're an armorer and load a pistol with blanks and hand it to the actor before a scene, do you really want the actor to eject the clip, take all the rounds out and inspect them, and load them back up before the scene?

If you're an armorer, wouldn't you then want to inspect the weapon again to make sure the actor didn't some way, some how load a live round into the magazine?

Seems like it would paralyze a film set if actors can't rely on the expertise of the armorers. Then again, I've never been on a set so have no idea what is done.

Like I've said previously,.. A secondary inspection by the actor would be a personal choice that I would employ. The armorer bears primary responsibility for the condition of the firearm. But understand that the actor bears responsibility for it's safe usage, and part of safe firearm usage is knowing the condition of the firearm in your possession.

So you didn't do any research then. Got it. Thanks for playing.
No offense but you're out of your depth on this particular piece of the discussion. You can't go from claiming "guns go off all time" to then dissing someone for not doing research. I've been involved in firearms safety training for over 25 years so I happen to know a little about the subject.
Guns don't just randomly go off. The gun Alec was practicing his quick draw with is exceptionally hard to discharge by mistake as you have to manually cock the hammer before it will fire. The gun didn't just go off by accident, it went off bc someone recklessly put a live round in it and someone else discharged it in the direction of the woman that died.

Reactions: hawkedoff
No offense but you're out of your depth on this particular piece of the discussion. You can't go from claiming "guns go off all time" to then dissing someone for not doing research. I've been involved in firearms safety training for over 25 years so I happen to know a little about the subject.
Guns don't just randomly go off. The gun Alec was practicing his quick draw with is exceptionally hard to discharge by mistake as you have to manually cock the hammer before it will fire. The gun didn't just go off by accident, it went off bc someone recklessly put a live round in it and someone else discharged it in the direction of the woman that died.
I certainly appreciate you for knowing about training and training those who need to know. As I said earlier, it is rare but on occasion guns do go off by accident. That may or may not be the case here but it does happen. Nothing is full proof.

I certainly appreciate you for knowing about training and training those who need to know. As I said earlier, it is rare but on occasion guns do go off by accident. That may or may not be the case here but it does happen. Nothing is full proof.
By accident? No. As an accident? Yes. There must be some sort of external force to make a gun go off. Tossing it to someone and they catch it improperly. It falling on the ground. It's not going to discharge simply by existing with a round in the chamber.

No, but it’s a pretty basic rule not to point a gun at someone and pull the trigger.

Don’t need a whole lot of firearms knowledge to know that.
except actors do it in film all the time. It's called acting, and you trust that the person providing you the weapon is properly trained and has done their job to make certain they used blanks instead of a real bullet. Again, this has literally never happened so you should be able to trust that. Just like you shouldn't drive your car off a bridge yet they do it for movies, you shouldn't jump off a building, but it's done for movies. It's how acting works.

except actors do it in film all the time.
Do they? Or do they use prop guns that are incapable of firing a round when pulling the trigger close range?

Seem to recall that from the making of band of brothers. Had a lot of prop weapons used the majority of the time

I thought I heard talk of some occasional off camera target shooting going on for fun,... If true, very bad deal.

They talked about that a number of times years ago when this occurred. Thats why they had live rounds on the set. Makes sense to target practice, but in a different environment to prevent accidental swapping of rounds. She is so screwed. If Im Baldwin, I push her in front of the bus in an effort to separate myself from her carelessness. There was also talk back when this happened about how she insinuated she wasn't experienced enough to be an armorer.

Probably not,.. unless, as might be the case with Baldwin, the firearm was handled carelessly.

He admits it was a gun. He obviously pointed it at her. Pointing it at her knowing it was a gun, I'd qualify that as careless. Seems his main defense is he didn't actually pull the trigger so it's going to be interesting on how they deal with the spontaneous discharge of a firearm.

You can’t put that on actors.

This is hard for me. I've had a trained armorer / firearms instructor with me when I shoot sometimes. I am always responsible for loading and checking my own firearms. When I am solo, same responsibility. Not sure how much I buy that there is "a movie set exception", But, I agree it would slow production. You know what also slowed production? A woman getting shot.......

If they determine that she is guilty and responsible, maybe the angle they take is not only was Alec holding the REAL firearm (not a prop), that discharged and she died, but he, as a producer, is also responsible for hiring the unqualified armorer. ?

I bet movie standards have already shifted since then and continue to do so. I've seen plenty of people asking "why not use CGI for guns, why have guns at all!" SMDH.

CALLLLLLLLLLLED IT. This is nothing more than maga butthurt because AB killed trump on snl.

Then it should be a clear cut case right? If it’s just someone with a personal vendetta, they probably don’t have enough to make a case, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT