ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Smith, after completing a remarkable comeback, announces his retirement from NFL

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
In a two-minute video that recapped his storied comeback and thanked his former teammates and fans, former Washington Football Team quarterback Alex Smith announced he is retiring from the NFL after 14 seasons.

“Even though I’ve got plenty of snaps left in me, after 16 years of giving this game everything I’ve got, I can’t wait to see what else is possible,” he said in a video posted on his Instagram account. “But first, I’m going to take a little time to enjoy a few of those walks with my wife. And my kids have no idea what’s coming for them in the backyard.”

Smith, 36, was released by Washington in March after guiding the team back to the playoffs for the first time in five years last season. His triumphant return was few ever saw coming. Not even himself.

In November 2018, Smith suffered a compound leg fracture during a game against the Houston Texans and underwent 17 surgeries to repair the bones and clean out an infection that destroyed much of the surrounding tissue in his lower right leg. He lost the ability to lift up his foot when walking or running, but that he was able to walk at all after the injury was a small miracle in itself.

ADVERTISING

Smith spent much of his rehabilitation at Center for the Intrepid, a specialized military hospital in Texas, where he relearned to run with the help of a brace, and starting throwing a football again. It was there that he renewed his love for the game and began working toward his comeback.
He was medically cleared last July and played in his first game in a rainy loss to the Los Angeles Rams in October. But a month later, he was under center as Washington’s new starter.

Smith went 5-1 as a starter last season, helping Washington to an NFC East title and playoff berth after it started the year 1-5.
He finishes his career with a 99-67-1 record as an NFL starter, having played for the San Francisco 49ers, Kansas City Chiefs and Washington. Over the course of his 16-year career, which included 14 seasons, he completed 62.5 percent of his passes for 34,922 yards, 195 touchdowns and 105 interceptions, for a passer rating of 86.9.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
Too bad. A banged up, crippled Alex Smith probably would have been better than Andy Dalton leading the Bears this upcoming season.

• Love
Reactions: cigaretteman
The E60 story they did about his comeback was remarkable.
Too bad he couldnt play against the Bucs in the playoffs, would have been a better game with a healthy Smith.

Best of luck, admire the way he came back and handled himself throughout his career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT