ADVERTISEMENT

Alexa Noel at the NCAAs

wneff

HR Heisman
Jan 14, 2003
Playing Alana Smith of NC State. Noel won the first set 6-4. Now 3-3 in the second; Noel just broke Smith's serve.

Wins the first set this AM (the round of 32) 6-1 and leads 1-0 in the second against Paris Corley of LSU.
(The site I am getting the score from says that there is a time-out in the middle of the second game of the second set. No other matches have a time-out, so not weather-related. Injury?)

Last edited:
Wins the first set this AM (the round of 32) 6-1 and leads 1-0 in the second against Paris Corley of LSU.
(The site I am getting the score from says that there is a time-out in the middle of the second game of the second set. No other matches have a time-out, so not weather-related. Injury?)
They've resumed. Now 2-0 in the second.

It appears she has a good chance to advance to the Elite 8. She's one of the 9-16 seeds (not distinguished between those 8), but is paired against a 5 seed, and that 5 seed lost in the first round. So she will play against an unseeded opponent next if she gets past this round.

Is this match being played at LSU? There is person wearing purple shirt standing right by the court, picking up the ball for the LSU player and encouraging her. I don't see any Iowa personnel by the court. That's seems to be definite unfair advantage to me.

Never mind, they exchanged court and now I see an Iowa coach there doing the same thing.

It turned out Noel rolled her ankle in the second set. She was leading 6-1 and 2-0 a moment before. Sounds like it would have been an easy victory for her without the injury.

I heard Alexa on a new Fight for Iowa podcast with Gary Dolphin, and she intends to return to Iowa next year. Given her story, I assumed that she was one and done. Suppose there still is lots of time for her to change her mind.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT