ADVERTISEMENT

All 50 U.S. license plates, ranked from best to Michigan

Morrison71

HB Legend
Nov 10, 2006
So here is a definitive ranking of all 50 United States license plates. Now, for the record, the Northwest Territories have unquestionably the best license plate in North America, but 50 is already way too many things to create a list about, and I had to draw the line somewhere. So no D.C. or territories, either.

Now some housekeeping. These rankings were chosen by a blue-ribbon commission consisting of myself. The criteria I considered included whether it enhances or worsens a car's aesthetics; is it symbolic of the state; is it distinctive enough to ID without reading the state name; is it stamped or printed/flat; and does it have a slogan, nickname or website (the latter is a bad thing and stupid — am I supposed to call it up while driving???).

I also only considered "standard" plates, or those that the DMV will give you by default. So no no-cost-option plates. In instances where there are multiple standard plates, I just picked the one I liked best. So on we go. And yes, I'm totally biased against the state you live in.
Click to shrink...

License-Plates-Colo.jpg

1. Colorado

Every other state in the country wishes it could've come up with a unique, colorful and iconic license plate design 60 years ago and pretty much just moved on with their lives thereafter. Oh sure, the mountains have oscillated between white and green, the shade of green has been tweaked, and the mountains were given some detailing, but this is pretty much the same plate as always. There's only one state this could possibly be from, due to its familiarity/longevity, distinctive color scheme and that everyone knows Colorado is filled with mountains. I also like that the numbers are stamped and that there are only six of them.
Click to shrink...

License-Plates-Del.jpg

5. Delaware

This plate is like an NBA team in the 1990s that didn't change its color scheme and make its logo a cartoon. Sure, they looked old-fashioned back then, but now that fashion has come back to classic, they're quite happy they stayed the course. So be the Delaware license plate. Sadly, it's flat printed and looks a bit cheap, but it's also been that way for decades. Consistency! The classy dark blue color framed in gold with matching writing is timeless enough to make up for it.
Click to shrink...

License-Plates-Wyo.jpg

25. Wyoming

Wyoming has had that iconic Bucking Horse and Rider emblem on its license plates since 1936, which speaks to knowing a good thing when you have one. Until 1975, it pretty much just changed colors every year, then added a fence to the bottom and a very McDonalds/San Diego Padres color scheme throughout the late '70s and '80s. Since then, the state has taken full advantage of license plate printing technology with various photorealistic landscapes in the background. The latest one adds a rope borderaround an image of "the Green River Lakes and Squaretop Mountain." There's just a lot going on and it’s a tad cartoony. Time to go back to a classic, Wyoming, you used to do it better than anyone.
Click to shrink...

License-Plates-Mich.jpg

50. Michigan

There's so little to this license plate it's hard to come up with much to say about it. It's just so sad and plain. Aesthetically, it's definitely not the worst – I'd rather see this dullard on my car than Maryland, Iowa or Visa, for instance. Yet, it ultimately lands at the rock bottom due to a total lack of effort, compounded by the fact that Michigan has by far the strongest car culture in the country. Sure, the Spectacular Peninsulas no-cost alternative is technically better, but hanging your hat so prominently on the power of peninsulas is a little weird considering your state is home to the American automotive industry. If any state should have a great license plate, it's this one, and yet, snore. Like expecting a GT 350 and a Mustang II shows up.
Click to shrink...

I'll be honest, I really like Arizona's.

And, do other states have as many options for plates as Iowa? Including the college plates, there has to be 40-50 plates available.

Iowa knew what they were doing by coming out with the black and white version they could charge more for around the time they are relessing the crap they have now.

on a side note, as i was driving through wisconsin last week, a vehicle passed me with Texas plates that had a tigerhawk on it and “hawkeyes” on the bottom. It had me confused and it was irritating that it looked better than Iowas “hawkeyes” plate

Iowa-license-plate.png

Iowa knew what they were doing by coming out with the black and white version they could charge more for around the time they are relessing the crap they have now.

on a side note, as i was driving through wisconsin last week, a vehicle passed me with Texas plates that had a tigerhawk on it and “hawkeyes” on the bottom. It had me confused and it was irritating that it looked better than Iowas “hawkeyes” plate

Iowa-license-plate.png
When you see more of the alternative plates then the official plate, your plate sucks. Even more when we are talking a black background with white letters.

I disagree with him on a few of these. California plate conjures up an image - when I look at that one I see a beauty behind the wheel, even if it’s not the case most times. Same with Arizona.

License-Plates-Calif.jpg

Reactions: bladel
Still like New Hampshire's plates...."Live Free or Die"...
Always reminds me of the definition for “Yankee” in the glossary of MIT’s orientation guide:

1) To a Southerner, a Northerner
2) To a Northerner, a New Englander
3) To a New Englander, a New Hampshirite
4) To a New Hampshirite, someone who always eats apple pie for breakfast...

And, do other states have as many options for plates as Iowa? Including the college plates, there has to be 40-50 plates available.
YEs they are easy money makers.

OH you want an OHio State plate? That will be an extra $250 please.

I honestly don’t think Nebraska’s are that bad. A little boring, but pretty classy and don’t make your vehicle look like a clown car. I think Iowa’s are bottom tier, and I don’t think the all black with white lettered are all that good either.

YEs they are easy money makers.

OH you want an OHio State plate? That will be an extra $250 please.

In Florida (most of) the extra money goes to the cause promoted on the license plate.

So, if you pay extra for the "Save the Manatees" plate, you're making a donation to an organization dedicated to saving the manatees.

I honestly don’t think Nebraska’s are that bad. A little boring, but pretty classy and don’t make your vehicle look like a clown car. I think Iowa’s are bottom tier, and I don’t think the all black with white lettered are all that good either.
My fave was the fire and brimstone Nebby plates, from a number of years back. I had just moved to Omaha, and was welcomed with that version. I was like. **** me that really does look like hell represented on a plate.

Reactions: millah_22
In Florida (most of) the extra money goes to the cause promoted on the license plate.

So, if you pay extra for the "Save the Manatees" plate, you're making a donation to an organization dedicated to saving the manatees.
If you get a “Save the Manatees” plate you’re making a donation to OP’s mom

Last edited:
Oregon and Cali (just something classic about it) are the top two imo.

Iowa and Florida are the two worst imo. Which is hilarious given the obvious. Our two states just can't do license plates well. I do love the old school Florida plates. They should have stuck with those.

I wish the iowa would just go back to the blue plates with white letters. Their plates have been a complete Shit show since, starting with the wannabee Minnesota plates. Get off my lawn.
I would love something like below. I prefer simple with no more than two or three colors. While most of us would love the Hawkeye State at the bottom, I'd be open to leaving that blank. At any rate, much better than what we currently have

3f05d57018ab7a972355b08cf7e61d9f.jpg

I would love something like below. I prefer simple with no more than two or three colors. While most of us would love the Hawkeye State at the bottom, I'd be open to leaving that blank. At any rate, much better than what we currently have

3f05d57018ab7a972355b08cf7e61d9f.jpg
ISU fans would cry foul over that design. Kidding aside (sorta), it’s easy on the eyes and easy to read.

Id love a bicycling theme for a main plate design. RAGBRAI, High Trestle Trail, something uniquely Iowan that isn’t a stereotype (Iowa is so much more than corn and wind turbines, but Iowans are also some of the most apathetic and lazy ****s out there)

Nobody buys Iowa State license plates

Reactions: claykenny
Oregon and Cali (just something classic about it) are the top two imo.

Iowa and Florida are the two worst imo. Which is hilarious given the obvious. Our two states just can't do license plates well. I do love the old school Florida plates. They should have stuck with those.
Funny. I think Florida has one of the better plate designs.

There are several ‘school’ license plates you can get in Texas, not just Texas universities. All it takes is a petition with so many signatures.

Honestly, it looks to me like they made random selections for their ranking. Of course, I realize this is click-bait at it's finest.

Reactions: Tenacious E
When you see more of the alternative plates then the official plate, your plate sucks. Even more when we are talking a black background with white letters.
It's Iowa man, we should consider ourselves lucky they didn't f@ck it up even more.

I disagree with him on a few of these. California plate conjures up an image - when I look at that one I see a beauty behind the wheel, even if it’s not the case most times. Same with Arizona.

License-Plates-Calif.jpg
The standard AZ plate is nothing special. But ADOT has about 50 personalized plate designs, and I did my (black) truck with the Arizona Highways desert sunset.

ahm_license_plate.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT