ADVERTISEMENT

All Quiet on the Western Front

Jerome Silberman

HR Legend
Oct 30, 2009
Is anyone here planning on seeing it this weekend? I don't know if I'll be able to find the time in the next few days, but would appreciate a review if anyone does.

It looks like it could be good, but movies like this often appear to have potential and end up disappointing.

Reactions: hwk23
Is anyone here planning on seeing it this weekend? I don't know if I'll be able to find the time in the next few days, but would appreciate a review if anyone does.

It looks like it could be good, but movies like this often appear to have potential and end up disappointing.

Just got done watching it. Overall I enjoyed it. I’m just not quite sure how I feel about the last 20 minutes or so. I think it takes away from how powerful the ending to the book is.

All Quiet on the Western Front is easily one of my favorite books though. Knowing this I went into it with tempered expectations, which always helps. That probably goes without saying when watching adaptations of your favorite books.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Just got done watching it. Overall I enjoyed it. I’m just not quite sure how I feel about the last 20 minutes or so. I think it takes away from how powerful the ending to the book is.

All Quiet on the Western Front is easily one of my favorite books though. Knowing this I went into it with tempered expectations, which always helps. That probably goes without saying when watching adaptations of your favorite books.
Thanks, that's right in line with what I've seen from some of the history accounts I've seen on twitter.

Reactions: ferentzin04
I've only seen the 70s version (my 9th grade football coach & history teacher showed it in class). Trailer for this one looked a lot more intense and immersive than that version.

Reactions: Jerome Silberman
Pretty odd so far. Guaranteed to turn into a Nazi sympathizer film, as anything coming from germany always excuses/sympathizes with Nazis.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Na, not really. Germans are desperate people who desperately want everyone to forget who they truly are.
That’s one way to answer a charge of bigotry — double down with yet another bigoted statement.

Have you ever been to Germany? I have. They go out of their way to NOT FORGET their history, ESPECIALLY the bad parts.

Good grief, man. While we, here in this country, have big-league politicians in big league roles EXPRESSLY working to whitewash our own sordid bits of our history, you have the ignorance-fueled gall to say this about Germany and the German people.

Unbelievable.

I mean, it is in character for you. Just make stuff up, throw big, broad-brush, bigoted accusations around all willy-nilly, and then run and deflect when called to account and asked to support your accusations/claims with actual evidence.

Trivia-starring in the 1930 version made actor Lew Ayres a conscientious objector.

In March 1942, Ayres was identified as a 4E conscientious objector and sent to a CO camp. As expected, the announcement that a Hollywood actor objected to the war was a major source of public outcry and debate.[6]

Within a month it was determined that he had initially requested to be A-O-1, so that he could serve as a non-combat medic. However, the military's policy that servicemen cannot request, or be guaranteed, where they will serve, forced him to request a 4E status. The U.S. military confirmed that they would place him as a medic and in April 1942, his status was changed. He enlisted in the United States Army on May 18, 1942.[7]

He served as a first aid instructor in the United States Army before requesting a drop in rank in order to serve as a medic and chaplain's assistant in the Pacific. He was one of 16 medics who arrived under fire during the invasion of Leyte to set up evacuation hospitals, and there he provided care to soldiers and civilians in the Philippines and New Guinea. He donated all the money he had earned as a serviceman to the American Red Cross.[8]

Serving for three and a half years in the Medical Corps, he was awarded three battle stars. After the war, he resumed his career and made scores of movies, but never reached the peak of his early Hollywood stardom, except when he was nominated for an Oscar.[9]
WIKI

Reactions: BelemNole
Ah, so you are a Nazi sympathizer?
Link to anything that remotely suggests that I am?

So far, just in this thread, you’ve made undeniably bigoted statements, never mind their being flatly false, likely due to some plain old bigotry-fueled ignorance (that seems to be a theme with you).

Let’s consider the definition of bigot, shall we?

bigot, n
a person who has very strong, unreasonable beliefs or opinions about race, religion, or politics and who will not listen to or accept the opinions of anyone who disagrees

I mean, damn. This fits you to a tee.

Reactions: Scott559
Link to anything that remotely suggests that I am?

So far, just in this thread, you’ve made undeniably bigoted statements, never mind their being flatly false, likely due to some plain old bigotry-fueled ignorance.

Let’s consider the definition of bigot, shall we?

bigot, n
a person who has very strong, unreasonable beliefs or opinions about race, religion, or politics and who will not listen to or accept the opinions of anyone who disagrees

I mean, damn. This fits you to a tee.
So, we have on record Rudolph being a Nazi sympathizer and hating Jews (really no distinction necessary). Carry on.

So, we have on record Rudolph being a Nazi sympathizer and hating Jews (really no distinction necessary). Carry on.
Lol. Link to a single post that remotely suggests that I am a Nazi sympathizer and/or that I hate Jews.

Lol. Link to a single post that remotely suggests that I am a Nazi sympathizer and/or that I hate Jews.
I don’t need to. It’s in the thread.
Edit: I have Jewish heritage, likely about 1/16 of my dna, so I am a bit aggressive when the anti semites come out

I don’t need to. It’s in the thread.
Um, no it’s not. What’s in this thread is your invention of the idea that I am a Nazi sympathizer and/or hater of Jewish people.

I have, quite literally, made not a single comment about Nazis, nazism, Judaism, or Jewish people.

Further, I am 100% confident that I have never, HROT or otherwise, expressed sympathy for Nazis or nazism, nor have I ever — in HROT or anywhere else — expressed hatred or even specific disfavor of Judaism, or Jewish people.

Nor have I supported other people’s statements expressing favor of sympathy of Nazis or nazism, disfavor or antipathy of Judaism or Jewish people, wether here in HROT or anywhere else, ever.

You can’t link to anything reflecting the ideas you just invented, so you won’t.

Um, no it’s not. What’s in this thread is your invention of the idea that I am a Nazi sympathizer and/or hater of Jewish people.

I have, quite literally, made not a single comment about Nazis, nazism, Judaism, or Jewish people.

Further, I am 100% confident that I have never, HROT or otherwise, expressed sympathy for Nazis or nazism, nor have I ever — in HROT or anywhere else — expressed hatred or even specific disfavor of Judaism, or Jewish people.

Nor have I supported other people’s statements expressing favor of sympathy of Nazis or nazism, disfavor or antipathy of Judaism or Jewish people, wether here in HROT or anywhere else, ever.

You can’t link to anything reflecting the ideas you just invented, so you won’t.
You push antisemitism harder than anyone I’ve seen. Just accept and move on. Ridiculous that we’re even having this conversation.

You push antisemitism harder than anyone I’ve seen. Just accept and move on. Ridiculous that we’re even having this conversation.
Is that so? Link to one post that supports this idea. One.

For someone who claims to not follow me closely, claims also to not give a rat’s ass what I think, you sure do seem to think you know a lot about how I think and how I’ve posted.

But, again, for you to make such a claim as you just made — that I push antisemitism harder than anyone you’ve seen — you simply must be able to provide some evidence of my expressing support for antisemitism or my make antisemitic comments, right?

I mean, you must have something on me, right?

Right?

Is that so? Link to one post that supports this idea. One.

For someone who claims to not follow me closely, claims also to not give a rat’s ass what I think, you sure do seem to think you know a lot about how I think and how I’ve posted.

But, again, for you to make such a claim as you just made — that I push antisemitism harder than anyone you’ve seen — you simply must be able to provide some evidence of my expressing support for antisemitism or my make antisemitic comments, right?

I mean, you must have something on me, right?

Right?
Oh, you don’t like being called a racist with no direct evidence? Does it piss you off? Stop supporting a movement that does exactly that.

Oh, you don’t like being called a racist with no direct evidence? Does it piss you off? Stop supporting a movement that does exactly that.
Are you now inventing yet another claim — that I called you a racist?

If yes, this being your newest false contention, please link to where I called you a racist. I know you won’t, because you can’t. Such is the nature of an invented claim without any supporting evidence.

I have now asked, plainly, on several occasions for you to back up claims and accusations you’re making of me with evidence.

Thus far you have been unable to even come close.

Further, in your post above, you implicitly acknowledge that you actually don’t have anything to back up your claims/accusations.

Well done!

Last edited:
Are you now inventing yet another claim — that I called you a racist?

If yes, this being your newest false contention, please link to where I called you a racist. I know you won’t, because you can’t. Such is the nature of an invented claim without any supporting evidence.

I have now asked, plainly, on several occasions for you to back up claims and accusations you’re making of me with evidence.

Thus far you have been unable to even come close.

Further, in your post above, you implicitly acknowledge that you actually don’t have anything to back up your claims/accusations.

Well done!
So you realize how fing stupid your leaders and their soldiers are now? Does it make you realize your party, devoid of morality and success, promotes stupidity nationwide?

So you realize how fing stupid your leaders and their soldiers are now? Does it make you realize your party, devoid of morality and success, promotes stupidity nationwide?
You keep deflecting. You make a serious accusation, are asked to defend it with some type of evidence, then deflect and avoid.

What’s my party?

What do you mean by “devoid of morality and success?”

And what “stupidity” is this party that you’re calling “my party” uniquely promoting?

ADVERTISEMENT