ADVERTISEMENT

All the best

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
My wife and I have been Hawkeye fans for almost 60 years, loyal fans, season ticket holders, and proud supporters of Iowa football. No longer living in Iowa, we have traveled to see our beloved Hawks from coast to coast. My wife and I estimate over 150K road miles, 100K air miles and countless hotel stays over that span. But that is all coming to an end.

We are extremely saddened by the events that have transpired over the past 48 hours. We are saddened to read about players feeling they were not treated equally, we are saddened to see how this transpired and now our beloved Kinnick Stadium and Nile's statue has been desecrated. Not sure what everyone expected to accomplish by piling on with internet posts but obviously the whirlwind has caused irreparable harm to our university. I hope Iowa will rebuild but right now the media and other schools are having a field day with this.

Kirk Ferentz is a very kind hearted person who has given so much to the university, I'm sure a week ago he was excited to get his players back on campus, now he is facing this. I wouldn't blame him if he called it quits. I retired at 61, trust me Kirk, it is really awesome.

Maybe we are getting older or just tired of traveling to the games but we decided yesterday we were not renewing our season tickets. The world is a big place and we decided there is more to life than sports. To all my Hawkeye friends, all the best. It's Great to be a Hawkeye!

Gunner, signing off

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT