ADVERTISEMENT

All-time favorite Hawkeye wrestlers

This test was too hard. A very long multiple-choice question. But I'd go with Lewis, Banach x2. Davis, Chiaparelli, Brands x2, McIlravy, Williams, Ironside, Perry, Lee, and Desanto. Lots of close runner-ups.

Reactions: Mendoza77
Unfortunately he was limping through his last championships and had all sorts of stuff going on the year before that which hurt his bonus production, but he's currently at 76.
So he'll probably finish with around 100, and be in top 5 all-time

edit: According to this scoring list there are 25 wrestlers better than Dan Gable :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: GoHawks1996
Tough to rank in order but I’ll go with a bakers dozen of my all-time favorites:
Brent Metcalf
Spencer Lee
Mark Perry
Mark Ironside
Austin DeSanto
Michael Kemerer
Tom Brands
Terry Brands
Lincoln Mac
Rico Chiapparelli
Cory Clark
Thomas Gilman
Matt McD

So he'll probably finish with around 100, and be in top 5 all-time

edit: According to this scoring list there are 25 wrestlers better than Dan Gable :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
The points scored by a 2x champ being compared to 3 and 4 time champs. Not to be confused with saying there are 25 better wrestlers.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
It's the Bull for me.

when i was younger Joe Johnston did it for me. idk why. liked his approach and fight.

and, just for the personality and friendship, me and Sam Stoll got along really well.
Dang Willie. We have something in common after all. I love Joe Johnston. Not the most decorated hawk ever but he always wrestled hard.

Reactions: smalls103
My mind is only doing recent right now. Yeah, Desanto. Not just exceptional wrestler but by far the most entertaining.

Reactions: el dub
kurdelmeier- the godfather
trizzino x 2
kistler x 3
reiland
kerber
heffernan x 2
erekson
sorenson
eustice x 2
lugo
warner
dr. mark eyechart- did my sons surgery years ago,
some guys i didn't see in here, but felt deserved mention

Chuck Yagla- Two-time team captain, 1976 NCAA outstanding wrestler, always thought he was a very good coach at Iowa.
Ed Banach- Entertainment at its finest. "A horse is a horse, of course of course, and no one can talk to a horse." 73 pins.
Barry Davis- In your face and had a motor that just ran at a different level. Great person for those that know him.
Lincoln McIIravy-Everyone knows his wrestling career, boot scoots, and just how good he was. Better person and family man that really defines him.
Joe Williams- Dominant 34 wins, just fun to watch wrestle, relaxed, smooth, confident.
Jim Zalesky- Technician with an enjoyable two-year undefeated streak of 89 that was a good run of matches and some really great wrestling. "Wrestler of the Decade" for the 80's. Cross face you ugly.
Tom Brands-

Lots of favorites but here are my top 5 in no particular order:
Lee, Perry, Ironside, Davis and probably Metcalf.
Honorable mention: Kemdawg

I’ll abstain from naming favorite wrestlers, but here are two of my favorite Hawkeye moments:

(1) Metcalf’s not-while-I’m-still-on-the-mat disruption of Caldwell’s victory celebration.

(2) When asked after a B1G semis victory by the post-match interviewer if he had lost a tooth during the match, a mouth-bleeding Mocco replies, “Huh? Yeah. Maybe . . . I don’t know.” It was obvious he had lost a tooth, but just didn’t give a sh*t. Cared even less to talk about it and just wanted to get the hell out of there. 🤣

I’ll abstain from naming favorite wrestlers, but here are two of my favorite Hawkeye moments:

(1) Metcalf’s not-while-I’m-still-on-the-mat disruption of Caldwell’s victory celebration.

(2) When asked after a B1G semis victory by the post-match interviewer if he had lost a tooth during the match, a mouth-bleeding Mocco replies, “Huh? Yeah. Maybe . . . I don’t know.” It was obvious he had lost a tooth, but just didn’t give a sh*t. Cared even less to talk about it and just wanted to get the hell out of there. 🤣
Lol I don’t remember #2 at all for I was in college at the time and was preoccupied with about 199873 other things, but that is awesome! 😆

Marty Kistler. Seeing him win an NCAA Championship on ABC's Wide World of Sports and hearing the announcers describe him as being "a machine" cemented my love of Hawkeye wrestling at an early age that started with my admiration for Dan Gable. Kistler was the guy that made me a Hawk fan (wrestling only) all the way in South Carolina.

it got chilly today so i put on a sweatshirt, which means i need to add a name j. moody. not star as such, but still a favorite.

I remember him filling in against Lehigh. Bumped up a weight to wrestle Kutler. Was getting hammered but kept on getting after it. Could have just wrestled defensively to keep it close and not get majored but IIRC, kept on moving forward and shooting. He lost by major but that's one thing that sticks out in my mind.

Kem - putting hall away at carver

D E S A N T O - no title but has a crazy hit list.

Borschel - rode the cornel kid for at least 12 minutes in that title match(lol)

St. John - mean SOB - way under rated (kept derringer from being a 4 timer)

Ramos

LEEEEEE

Lol I don’t remember #2 at all for I was in college at the time and was preoccupied with about 199873 other things, but that is awesome! 😆
I used to record all the televised tourneys on VHS back then . . . there is a chance I later converted that tape to DVD. Will have to poke around in the basement to see if I can turn it up and provide a more precise transcript (I haven’t been able to find it online).

Anyway, it was a pretty legendary example of the mindset of a top-level D1 wrestler. The interviewer just seemed part bewildered, part impressed, and part horrified. Loved it.

Banachs in the 80's were always fun to watch. Loved to body lock and make things happen.

Rico was fun and funky before it became popular. A real pinner.

Alger was more of a grinder but so tough.

Both Brands just smothered people and were always going forward. Very fun to watch.

Ironside just wore people out. Love him v. Kolat.

Schwab, Zap and Juergans were all great as well.

Mena was a lot of fun too.

Besides Gilman, I looked forward to seeing Austin Desantos wrestle every match. Exciting, passionate and a real force of nature. For me the last wrestler that was must see above all the rest was sophomore Spencer Lee and Jason Nolf.

Besides Gilman, I looked forward to seeing Austin Desantos wrestle every match. Exciting, passionate and a real force of nature. For me the last wrestler that was must see above all the rest was sophomore Spencer Lee and Jason Nolf.
I didn't realize Nolf wrestled for Iowa. I suggest you read the thread title again.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
My list:
Barry Davis
Ed and Lou Banach
Randy Lewis
Lincoln Mc.
Joe Williams
Metcalf
Jay Borschel
Spencer Lee
A. DeSanto
And of course:
Tom and Terry
IMO Randy Lewis was the most exciting and Joe Williams the most talented.

The 1st Hawk that came to mind was Rico Chiapparelli. Funky & fun to watch before funky was cool.

Ray Brinzer. When he was at Okla St with the big hair, I remember thinking "where did they get this guy?". Loved the quirkiness of the Brinz in black & gold.

Loved to watch Bill Zadick, Doug Schwab, the Brands Bros & Ironside. Thought Juergens might be too soft (appearances only) to make it as a Hawk. Man, did he prove me wrong. Always a fan of the lower weights but the Banach's were must see TV. So many great wrestlers...

Cory Clark's national championship with a bad shoulder was my favorite single moment - bawled my eyes out for him. Had the wife get a free poster of him when she was back in Iowa. They were being given away somewhere in CR. The poster hung it in my garage and I pulled up to it nightly when getting home from work. Clark would just not be denied. Sadly, the poster got left behind in our KS garage before the move back to Iowa.

McIlravy's come back with over Abas was a great moment. His loss to Marianetti an equally painful moment.

Whitmer's run to a national championship in '97 is my favorite tournament performance and who can forget Weber's run the year prior.

Perry's win over Hendricks was awesome considering he grew up in Cowboy country & his Dad wrestled for OSU.

Daniel Dennis' loss in Omaha NCAA final with seconds to go is my most painful memory.

Like most of you, I find myself going on and on when coming up with more great wrestlers/memories. You just remember another & another...

We were spoiled rotten by the Gable era. Awesome times!

If someone was new to wrestling and asked me what they mean by "Iowa style", I would show that person a Lincoln McIlravy match.

More recently, Spencer Lee.

Whitmer, TJ Williams, Juergens, Metcalf, Lee. Hon mention Keddy because he always seemed to get out on bottom in less that 5 seconds, I loved that.

For a guy from PA a little younger than Brinzer… he was something to watch. Gumby and all.
My stepmom loves to tell the story where she happened to run in to him at some event, and as a way to 'get my dad's goat', she asked Ray to sign something she had basically saying "thanks for a good time last night". Ray happily went along and signed it. She still has it I believe. Definitely was a character, as is my stepmom!!

Reactions: mcpat and Mendoza77
Seems I’m a little late to this particular party, but after some reflection, this assignment should not be left undone. Many of you Old Timers and wannabe GOAT(s) will remember Joe Wells, (link below/standing next to Coach Dave McCuskey).

I remember Joe Wells as a graduate assistant for the wrestling team during my time at the University of Iowa. Joe was a terrific wrestler for the University of Iowa, a true friend of the wrestling community, and most importantly a great Human Being.

Maybe the best advice I received from Joe; “never pass up the opportunity to hang-out with a wrestler”.

https://digital.lib.uiowa.edu/islandora/object/ui:yrbks2_980#page/298/mode/2up

Last edited:
Randy Lewis, Brent Metcalf, the Banach bros, and Spencer Lee (who I would like to see become our HC someday).

Also future Hawkeye Kylie Welker, who is amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT