ADVERTISEMENT

All you Rockefellers/ Financial Investment Gurus

southlakehawk

HR All-American
Gold Member
Oct 7, 2003
My observations of the OT community are that this place is packed & racked with seven figure income studs. Where can I place some $$ to get a decent return on it but have access to it in case of an emergency should one spring up. Just put a couple of hundred bucks per month in it. I'm not well versed in stock market. I'm not going to retire for awhile. I'm vested in a pension so I'm setting ok. Just trying to add a little dinero on the side. Advice away ....

Where can I place some $$ to get a decent return on it but have access to it in case of an emergency should one spring up.
This is where your choices become limited. If you need access to the funds you're probably looking at a money market account as your best option.

Buy any mutual fund, you can sell and get your money back in your hands in less than five business days.

I would put it all in stocks and skip the old lady funds. 2 or 3 % ?? Might as well stick it under your bed.

Last edited:
If it’s an emergency fund, an online high yield savings account or money market should do the trick. Maybe an all bond ETF.

My observations of the OT community are that this place is packed & racked with seven figure income studs. Where can I place some $$ to get a decent return on it but have access to it in case of an emergency should one spring up. Just put a couple of hundred bucks per month in it. I'm not well versed in stock market. I'm not going to retire for awhile. I'm vested in a pension so I'm setting ok. Just trying to add a little dinero on the side. Advice away ....
Carroll Dragons? You are joking. Everyone knows you're uber rich out there.

An internet bank...like Ally pays a helluva lot more than a brick and mortar bank in most cases.....But higher returns are often tied to allowing others to control your money for longer periods of time.
Without being a "smartass"..''have you or are yoiu in position to consider a Financial advisor/planner? Thats what you pay these guys for....I'd look for an independent who as the whole field of finances to deal with...

I've recently (September) started worthy bonds. Put around $125/month into it. Been good, so far. 5% return .

Carroll Dragons? You are joking. Everyone knows you're uber rich out there.
I teach there, can't afford to live in Southlake :) Just read where the average price of a house sold in Southlake last year was $750,000. Which I thought was low from what I see around :)

Not an emergency fund. I have that set up

What are some good mutual funds?

Reactions: goldmom
I put 12k in mutual funds about 15 years ago. I’m close to 50k in there today (took a huge dump during GWB) years. Be patient and don’t check it every day.

Last edited:
Reactions: QChawks
A good, conservative diversified mutual fund is exactly what you want.

Buy any mutual fund, you can sell and get your money back in your hands in less than five business days.

I would put it all in stocks and skip the old lady funds. 2 or 3 % ?? Might as well stick it under your bed.
If you have it as an emergency fund...and needed the $$$... I think you'd have been sick to your stomach in December 2018 when the equity markets/S&P lost 10-12% in one month.

The fact that the market rebounded is immaterial. Emergency fund should NEVER be in stocks.

Look into the app called Twine. It’s all hands off.

If you have it as an emergency fund...and needed the $$$... I think you'd have been sick to your stomach in December 2018 when the equity markets/S&P lost 10-12% in one month.

The fact that the market rebounded is immaterial. Emergency fund should NEVER be in stocks.
Nah. My emergency fund has been in Apple Microsoft and Amazon for a decade. It could drop in half tomorrow and I am way way ahead of the shit banks or bond funds pay.

the key is keep buying and dollar cost average it in.

pretend you have $10,000. I wouldn’t dump it all in at once, split it up over 3 or 4 months.

when the market craps out I don’t get sick to my stomach, because that’s when it’s time to buy.

people are not going to stop using Microsoft Office, using IPhones, or buying stuff off Amazon.

Put it all in gold!

gold-rush-prospector-showing-off-his-nuggets-picture-id482501307

Reactions: h-hawk
We started mutual fund for both our kids a few years. Rather than a college fund, we started with $5k each and add $200/mo. They are already at $13.5k. each.

they might be able to pay for a couple years at Iowa when they graduate in 2029 & 2031

Putting 100% into stocks is the biggest risk largest reward (until one hits a year like 2008).

Here are the current equities I use that have done nicely. ...diversity is the key.

American Funds EuroPacific Growth Fund
Large-Cap Growth Index Fund - Institutional Class
Large-Cap Value Index Fund - Institutional Cla
Real Estate Securities Fund -
Harbor International Fund Institutional Class
American Funds Washington Mutual Investors Fund
Vanguard Small-Cap Growth Index Fund Institutional
American Funds Growth Fund of America
VICTORY MUN MIDCAP CORE GROW Y
Lazard Emerging Markets Equity Portfolio Institutional Class
Columbia Small Cap Value Fund I Instl
Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund Institutional

Reactions: luvmyhawks
Nah. My emergency fund has been in Apple Microsoft and Amazon for a decade. It could drop in half tomorrow and I am way way ahead of the shit banks or bond funds pay.

the key is keep buying and dollar cost average it in.

pretend you have $10,000. I wouldn’t dump it all in at once, split it up over 3 or 4 months.

when the market craps out I don’t get sick to my stomach, because that’s when it’s time to buy.

people are not going to stop using Microsoft Office, using IPhones, or buying stuff off Amazon.
You don't know what an emergency fund is, do you? Most people can't afford to see big drops in the short term. That's what you open yourself up to being in equities.

Leave the investment discussions to people that know what the hell they're talking about.

Putting 100% into stocks is the biggest risk largest reward (until one hits a year like 2008).

Here are the current equities I use that have done nicely. ...diversity is the key.

Those aren't equities, they are funds that invest in equities. You are paying a lot in fees for those funds to invest your money in equities. Nevertheless, in the long term, you should be fine.

Btw, everyone invested has done well in the longest bull market in history. Don't think that means your advisor or you are a genius.

Those aren't equities, they are funds that invest in equities. You are paying a lot in fees for those funds to invest your money in equities. Nevertheless, in the long term, you should be fine.

it cost me 1% of my total investments per quarter ..well worth it..

That's a real nice list, but not sure those would be "emergency fund" options. Most people consider emergency funds as $$$ you might need in a hurry to cover an unexpected personal expense. No one should be aiming for big returns in short term investing.

That's a real nice list, but not sure those would be "emergency fund" options. Most people consider emergency funds as $$$ you might need in a hurry to cover an unexpected personal expense. No one should be aiming for big returns in short term investing.

didn't say they were...I have 8.75% of my money in fixed income...for emergency.

Reactions: MitchLL
per quarter? I thought one percent annually sucked

Anyone ever use a fiduciary type who just charges a set fee?
I work for a trust division in a bank. We charge an annual basis point fee payable monthly. Or are you talking about a flat fee? Not sure how common those are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT