ADVERTISEMENT

Almost witnessed every parent's worst nightmare

PoopandBoogers

HR Heisman
Mar 29, 2002
Was jogging down the beach and saw a guy about 100yds down frantically screaming and slapping the water, with about 10 other people nearby just looking at him. At first I honestly thought he was crazy. The closer I got, I could hear him screaming and sobbing "where is she, where is she?". I instantly took off my shirt, wrapped my phone in it and headed to the water.

A lady came up, who I would later find out was her mom, and between hysterical sobs, said "she is 7 and wearing a green bathing suit". I'm like "oh shit" and ran in. I studied the water and noticed a strong northern current, so I gauged where I figured she might be about 20 yrds from where they were at. Once underwater I started looking for any signs of arms, legs, green bathing suit, hoping to find something and mentally preparing myself to do cpr in chest deep water or find a dead little girl and carrying her in front of her parents.

Visibility was next to zero, I could barely see my hand, the surf was churned up quite good and a dark, sandy gray. Coupled with that, we have a reef here so I was checking under the rocks to see if she got snagged or trapped.

I was looking for probably only a min or 2, but it felt like forever. I am certified in 1st aid/cpr, so I knew every second counted, I felt helpless as everywhere I searched, I felt it was wrong and wanted to look deeper or shallower, or under another rock.

As I came up for a breath after one of my dives, I saw someone running down the beach, maybe 200 yds south, towards a little kid. I start jogging down and see the dad heading down that way as well. As I get closer, I realize it his her as the dad falls to his knees hugging her.

I get closer and he see's me and thanks me as tears are rolling down his face. The mom runs up to me and says "I don't even know you, but I'm going to hug you". I mentioned how lucky she was and to be thankful of the outcome, it couldve been way worse, and she broke down again shaking and crying some of the worst cries I've ever heard.

They tell me they were putting up a tent and were turned around for a min doing that and keeping an eye on their 2 younger daughters who were probably 2 and 4 (the younger girls had no clue what they almost witnessed, they were still playing with their shovels). Both parents were still in shock and both shaking and sobbing. I was shaking pretty well myself.

On the boardwalk, I saw the guy who ran down the beach and talked with him for a min, he had the adrenaline rush as well. Said he used to be a beach lifeguard and the first thing they teach when a kid is missing, is to scan the beach first, that is where the majority of missing kids usually end up (i put that useful tidbit in the forever memory bank instantly).

My foot is scraped from the reef pretty good, I don't feel it yet and don't care either. Extremely grateful it ended up the way it did, I can't even imagine.

the adrenaline rush
Some time ago I was first on the scene of a bad car collision that happened about one hundred feet in front of me when I was out running. Time literally stopped. I felt the adrenaline rush and my mind was super focused as I helped an injured older lady. Nothing along the lines of hero rescue but I recognize the state of mind you described.

Was jogging down the beach and saw a guy about 100yds down frantically screaming and slapping the water, with about 10 other people nearby just looking at him. At first I honestly thought he was crazy. The closer I got, I could hear him screaming and sobbing "where is she, where is she?". I instantly took off my shirt, wrapped my phone in it and headed to the water.

A lady came up, who I would later find out was her mom, and between hysterical sobs, said "she is 7 and wearing a green bathing suit". I'm like "oh shit" and ran in. I studied the water and noticed a strong northern current, so I gauged where I figured she might be about 20 yrds from where they were at. Once underwater I started looking for any signs of arms, legs, green bathing suit, hoping to find something and mentally preparing myself to do cpr in chest deep water or find a dead little girl and carrying her in front of her parents.

Visibility was next to zero, I could barely see my hand, the surf was churned up quite good and a dark, sandy gray. Coupled with that, we have a reef here so I was checking under the rocks to see if she got snagged or trapped.

I was looking for probably only a min or 2, but it felt like forever. I am certified in 1st aid/cpr, so I knew every second counted, I felt helpless as everywhere I searched, I felt it was wrong and wanted to look deeper or shallower, or under another rock.

As I came up for a breath after one of my dives, I saw someone running down the beach, maybe 200 yds south, towards a little kid. I start jogging down and see the dad heading down that way as well. As I get closer, I realize it his her as the dad falls to his knees hugging her.

I get closer and he see's me and thanks me as tears are rolling down his face. The mom runs up to me and says "I don't even know you, but I'm going to hug you". I mentioned how lucky she was and to be thankful of the outcome, it couldve been way worse, and she broke down again shaking and crying some of the worst cries I've ever heard.

They tell me they were putting up a tent and were turned around for a min doing that and keeping an eye on their 2 younger daughters who were probably 2 and 4 (the younger girls had no clue what they almost witnessed, they were still playing with their shovels). Both parents were still in shock and both shaking and sobbing. I was shaking pretty well myself.

On the boardwalk, I saw the guy who ran down the beach and talked with him for a min, he had the adrenaline rush as well. Said he used to be a beach lifeguard and the first thing they teach when a kid is missing, is to scan the beach first, that is where the majority of missing kids usually end up (i put that useful tidbit in the forever memory bank instantly).

My foot is scraped from the reef pretty good, I don't feel it yet and don't care either. Extremely grateful it ended up the way it did, I can't even imagine.

I thought a parents’ worst fear was seeing their son or daughter getting spitroasted on both ends by two older black guys.

But then again, I’m from the Sowf.

Last edited:
I thought a parents’ worst fear was seeing their son or daughter getting railed on both ends by two older black guys.

But then again, I’m from the Sowf.
Alright, that settles it. I've been going back and forth on whether to share this but this is too close to the story.
So earlier this week my daughter was at a Speech and Debate meeting, getting ready for the new year. She text us early that she wanted to come home.
Wife picks her up and she's bawling her eyes out.
Turns out that her friend from the team sent her a snap of her at the airport when she asked her why she wasn't there. She asked her what that meant and she sends another snap of her in a car with some older dude.
Seems that she had been chatting with a guy cross country for a few months and he paid for her to fly from CA to CT to meet him. She had lied to her folks and said she was staying with a friend for a few nights before school started back up.
My kid freaked out as the girl is only 15 and told the team captain who called the girls parents....then put my daughter on the phone. She told them that their kid was across the country with some older dude and had lied to them.
The girl finds out and blocks everyone including her parents. Other kids start blocking my kid for being a "snitch".
That was Monday. Parents finally found the girl last night. No idea if the guy is arrested. Pretty sure that's trafficking.

I'm glad my kid did the right thing, but she'll take heat for it at school for a while. Wife feels validated because she always thought that girl was sketchy. I always thought the one that was sketchy is her friend that covered for her and said she was staying with her. She's one of my kids best friends. But maybe not anymore.

Freaking teenagers.

Good on you, a man of action! I've rarely encountered situations like this, but when I have I just jump right into the situation and leave the small talk for later. There's rarely time for much decision making to occur, sometimes you just have to help (or try to help) people NOW!

Big thumbs up!

Alright, that settles it. I've been going back and forth on whether to share this but this is too close to the story.
So earlier this week my daughter was at a Speech and Debate meeting, getting ready for the new year. She text us early that she wanted to come home.
Turns out that her friend from the team sent her a snap of her at the airport when she asked her why she wasn't there. She asked her what that meant and she sends another snap of her in a car with some older dude.
Seems that she had been chatting with a guy cross country for a few months and he paid for her to fly from CA to CT to meet him. She had lied to her folks and said she was staying with a friend for a few nights before school started back up.
My kid freaked out as the girl is only 15 and told the team captain who called the girls parents....then put my daughter on the phone. She told them that their kid was across the country with some older dude and had lied to them.
The girl finds out and blocks everyone including her parents. Other kids start blocking my kid for being a "snitch".
That was Monday. Parents finally found the girl last night. No idea if the guy is arrested. Pretty sure that's trafficking.

I'm glad my kid did the right thing, but she'll take heat for it at school for a while. Wife feels validated because she always thought that girl was sketchy. I always thought the one that was sketchy is her friend that covered for her and said she was staying with her. She's one of my kids best friends. But maybe not anymore.

Freaking teenagers.
Your daughter is a good kid and despite some of her peers' opinions, a good and trusted friend.

Well done. We did a 20 minute search one time at the water park for a kid. We’re all nervous and exhausted. The kid was found on the other side of the park throwing slide mats into the splash pool. The mom looked away for 10 seconds.

Freaking teenagers.

You taught your daughter well there.

Her friends might all hate her now, but I'm guessing in 10 or so years she is going to realize your daughter might have saved her ass from some bad shit and thank her.

I swear I thought I was reading a version of this

land-a-job-with-the-help-of-seinfeld-19-638.jpg

4 years ago, put my son in swim lessons at the local pool, He was 3 years old. They didn't allow parents to be in the pool area had to sit outside the fence. They had 10 kids to 1 -2 lifeguards, I saw my son starting to slip down the incline, and started going under water. I yelled for approximately 10 to 15 seconds before anyone else became aware from my screams and I started to climb the fence and would have figured out how to get over the barb wire. Scariest moment I have ever had as a parent, still have nightmares. We have done individual lessons, but he really had a fear of the water. I got a small 18 inch wading pool last year during the pandemic and honestly it was the best thing for him, he learned how to float, pace his breathing. This year did more lessons, and he passed 3 levels. I know now he can effectively get to safety if he is in the water. That is big comfort.

When I was in Breckenridge, CO a few weeks back a couple of little kids were running down a path by a stream where a bull-moose, cow, and calf were grazing in the bushes. They were still quite obscured. Yelled at them and their parents to turn around. Could've been ugly potentially. CSB

Reactions: Jedhawk77
You taught your daughter well there.

Her friends might all hate her now, but I'm guessing in 10 or so years she is going to realize your daughter might have saved her ass from some bad shit and thank her.
We tell her that, but honestly I doubt it. Some people are just determined to make bad choices all their life.

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
We tell her that, but honestly I doubt it. Some people are just determined to make bad choices all their life.

Maybe but I think a lot of people figure it out when they get older. I would hope her friend figures out by the time she's 25 that teenagers shouldn't be running off with adult men like that.

I realize that is probably not much comfort for her now. All you can do is tell her how proud you are of her for doing the right thing even when it would hurt her.

That's honestly something every parent hopes for from their children.

Reactions: BelemNole

Holy shit, man, nice work. Stories like this give me home for mankind!

Maybe but I think a lot of people figure it out when they get older. I would hope her friend figures out by the time she's 25 that teenagers shouldn't be running off with adult men like that.

I realize that is probably not much comfort for her now. All you can do is tell her how proud you are of her for doing the right thing even when it would hurt her.

That's honestly something every parent hopes for from their children.
Yeah, I'm super proud of my kid. Not just for that, but she's a good kid all around.

There's a meme going around on reddit that says "You're not mature for your age, he's a sexual predator" and I just wish more young girls would hear that message.

And in many ways my kid is very mature for her age, so I understand how men manipulate these kids. Play to their ego. Pisses me off a great deal.

Good on you, a man of action! I've rarely encountered situations like this, but when I have I just jump right into the situation and leave the small talk for later. There's rarely time for much decision making to occur, sometimes you just have to help (or try to help) people NOW!

Big thumbs up!

Wifey (no pic) was in the hospital a few weeks ago after our son was born and I was staying with her. We are sitting in the room and all of a sudden we both hear what sounds like someone yelling "help!", it sounded like the next room. I immediately jumped up and ran into the hall as the nurses station was right outside. There were three or four nurses looking around with a "WTF is that?!" look on their faces. I immediately told them to check the room next to us as someone was yelling help and they ran in. Not sure what the issue was, but am guessing it worked out ok.

Freaking teenagers.
Holy cow, beyond scary. Nice work by your daughter!

Yeah, I'm super proud of my kid. Not just for that, but she's a good kid all around.

There's a meme going around on reddit that says "You're not mature for your age, he's a sexual predator" and I just wish more young girls would hear that message.

And in many ways my kid is very mature for her age, so I understand how men manipulate these kids. Play to their ego. Pisses me off a great deal.

I can tell she's mature for her age. While all her friends apparently thought this was no big deal and are mad at her for being a snitch she recognized the actual danger here.

Shared the story before but I had to do CPR on my nephew after he drowned. Got him breathing again. After the paramedics showed and I handed him over, I crawled off and puked, the adrenalin surge was so high. My hands were still shaking an hour later. Occasional nightmares for years after. He's early 20's now, works at the casino, makes more money than me.

Cheering you with a Beer right now, thank you!

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Absolutely! Way to go!

Wait..this wasn’t just a like whore post, was it? :)
Lol, absolutely not. It was one of the most harrowing moments of my life. I wish I could've described the scene better, but it would've been a devastating mess for those there and a life changing burden for the family. Maybe some lessons learned can come out of it by sharing. Just wanted to get it off my chest with you sorry sumbitches.

Shared the story before but I had to do CPR on my nephew after he drowned. Got him breathing again. After the paramedics showed and I handed him over, I crawled off and puked, the adrenalin surge was so high. My hands were still shaking an hour later. Occasional nightmares for years after. He's early 20's now, works at the casino, makes more money than me.
That's pretty heavy. Thankfully it didn't come to that for me. How long was he under and how long did you have to do cpr until he started breathing again?

The parents gotta follow through and make sure that dude get investigated. It's possible there are comms that can be recovered that would be used to convict even if the girl refuses to testify against him.

I wonder, in an event like that, how fast you can get the authorities to obtain the location info that phone is constantly collecting. It is disheartening to hear it took them days to locate her. I would think with the parents authorization authorities could quickly get a call list and find out the perps ID and not take days to find them unless they both turned off their phones and tried to go off the grid. Which I imagine a 15 year old could handle in this day and age for a few hours...

Reactions: BelemNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT