ADVERTISEMENT

Alright so a guy backed into my car

Oct 25, 2020
A neighbor backed into my car while I’m trying to pull into my driveway and just destroyed both doors. He has insurance and so I’m like alright let’s just get this done. Well his brother is the body shop I’d be going with anyway (best work in town) and his brother will do the work for him at cost of parts/paint if we don’t go through insurance. Problem is the kid is broke and can’t pay up front on the parts to his brother so I’m telling him let’s just do insurance. Then I ran into a medical issue and can’t take care of my yard like I’d like. the kid just so happens to be a landscaper.

so I’ve got a conundrum, I can get the kid at $20 an hour to work on my yard so that he can put that extra money toward fixing my car, or I can go through his insurance and pay more to have someone else work on my yard. What do y’all think?

Reactions: jasonrann
Don't make his problems yours. Convince the brother to cover the cost of the parts, hire the kid to do your landscaping, and pay the brother directly for the work he's done. If the brother doesn't trust him to work ff the debt, you shouldn't either.

Short of that arrangement I'd go through the insurance.

Cleanest way to do it. Otherwise tell him to get a loan to cover his brothers work. It’s pretty ridiculous to ask you to not go through insurance when he’s broke. I mean 🤷‍♂️ seriously?
Yeah, I think I’m going to just tell him tomorrow that I’m taking it in and just getting it done. insurance will take care of it and I’ll end up whole even if I have to cover my deductible until they figure it out. He’s not a bad egg just divorced young with multiple kids in his teens/early twenties and scrapes by.

A neighbor backed into my car while I’m trying to pull into my driveway and just destroyed both doors. He has insurance and so I’m like alright let’s just get this done. Well his brother is the body shop I’d be going with anyway (best work in town) and his brother will do the work for him at cost of parts/paint if we don’t go through insurance. Problem is the kid is broke and can’t pay up front on the parts to his brother so I’m telling him let’s just do insurance. Then I ran into a medical issue and can’t take care of my yard like I’d like. the kid just so happens to be a landscaper.

so I’ve got a conundrum, I can get the kid at $20 an hour to work on my yard so that he can put that extra money toward fixing my car, or I can go through his insurance and pay more to have someone else work on my yard. What do y’all think?
Be glad it wasn't my neighbor.

Don't make his problems yours. Convince the brother to cover the cost of the parts, hire the kid to do your landscaping, and pay the brother directly for the work he's done. If the brother doesn't trust him to work ff the debt, you shouldn't either.

Short of that arrangement I'd go through the insurance.
This is great

Reactions: Gimmered
Just wait until he has a attorney in his ear telling him to sue you and then takes you to court about all this back door sort of stuff you tired. You know like trying to use his brother to send business his way in order to get a discount on the repairs. You also tried to hire him to do landscaping so he would cut you some slack and charge less on the car.

I rear ended someone doing about 15-20 mph when he stopped suddenly while I was checking my blind spot to change lanes. His passenger should have been covered under his insurance in a KS which is a no fault state and mandates having insurance coverage. Unfortunately, he was uninsured and driving illegally which meant she was going to sue me. I'm sure this looked really good when they found out I was a doctor.

Fast forward, they went to a chiropractor about 1 week prior to the six month window they had to seek medical care after the accident. She had 2-3 prior back surgeries and was saying I caused all her back problems. They offered to pay her 50K for medical bills but she refused. Court case was dropped when the private eye saw her at her house laying down gravel with shovel.

That was all taken care of by the insurance company after I filed a claim. Never heard a peep about it until I called and asked if it was resolved.

Just wait until he has a attorney in his ear telling him to sue you and then takes you to court about all this back door sort of stuff you tired. You know like trying to use his brother to send business his way in order to get a discount on the repairs. You also tried to hire him to do landscaping so he would cut you some slack and charge less on the car.

I rear ended someone doing about 15-20 mph when he stopped suddenly while I was checking my blind spot to change lanes. His passenger should have been covered under his insurance in a KS which is a no fault state and mandates having insurance coverage. Unfortunately, he was uninsured and driving illegally which meant she was going to sue me. I'm sure this looked really good when they found out I was a doctor.

Fast forward, they went to a chiropractor about 1 week prior to the six month window they had to seek medical care after the accident. She had 2-3 prior back surgeries and was saying I caused all her back problems. They offered to pay her 50K for medical bills but she refused. Court case was dropped when the private eye saw her at her house laying down gravel with shovel.

That was all taken care of by the insurance company after I filed a claim. Never heard a peep about it until I called and asked if it was resolved.

featured1.jpg

Impossible to decide without a picture of "kid" assuming he is 18+. Preferably shirtless while mowing a lawn.

I'd be all about working it out with him. I'd be glad to have the yard work done in exchange. Of course it depends on your own financial situation, but it isn't going to hurt you to have a local landscaper and mechanic know you're a good guy.

These things have a way of coming back around.

ADVERTISEMENT