ADVERTISEMENT

Alternate uniform concepts

Sep 14, 2019
I-O-W-A
I know we aren’t ISU and have to change uniforms 100 times in a season, but I personally love seeing alternates come out out 1-2 times a season. Does anyone have some good ideas for a concept?

Black pants. Not as an alternate, just always wear black pants.
I really liked the look of those when we used against Minny in 2019.

Here’s the game if anyone wants to rewatch it. One of the most fun games I’ve ever been to and one of the more electric nights in Historic Kinnick Stadium’s history.
Edit: this is also the game where I knew Tyler Goodson was going to be a star.

The banana peel was sick, but these were awesome as well.
1541_h.jpg

EP-171039903.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

The black Unis were cool against tOSU in 2017, the gold with feathers...a f***ing disaster. ConstSometimes less is more. (yeah, I know...OK Boomer).
1541_h.jpg

If by sick...you mean "suck"..yeah. enough of that look. That black unis are bitchin'

I really liked the look of those when we used against Minny in 2019.

Here’s the game if anyone wants to rewatch it. One of the most fun games I’ve ever been to and one of the more electric nights in Historic Kinnick Stadium’s history.
Edit: this is also the game where I knew Tyler Goodson was going to be a star.
Me too, and I think they'd look good on the road with the white jerseys as well

i Like some of the helmet ideas. But, that probably won’t happen with Iowa because of the custom fit helmets each player has. I think they run ≈$1000 each. But, they can alter the logos.

i Like some of the helmet ideas. But, that probably won’t happen with Iowa because of the custom fit helmets each player has. I think they run ≈$1000 each. But, they can alter the logos.
They've already done it. Look above.

I know we aren’t ISU and have to change uniforms 100 times in a season, but I personally love seeing alternates come out out 1-2 times a season. Does anyone have some good ideas for a concept?
I like the concept of the Iowa team wearing the uniforms they own and stop thinking that Alt unis are like something imported from Mars.
What the hell are they Cinderellas that can only where their fancy stuff to the Ball?

My first vote would, of course, to bring back the banana peel. If that doesn't work i recently saw helmet concept (maybe on this site) that had a flying herky on the side in place of our normal decal. Kinda like what minny did w the gopher. Not saying I'd want too see it often but every now and again would be pretty cool

Reactions: dean_oliver222
We should keep the overall look/brand we have, but add both black pants and white pants to the arsenal. Both black and white jerseys could be worn with any of the pants. This would give us 6 uniform options while still always looking like “Iowa.”:
  • Black over gold
  • Black over black
  • Black over white
  • White over gold
  • White over black
  • White over white

I'm sorry, I wandered into this thread accidently. I'm surprised that no one posted the Village People singing YMCA.

We should keep the overall look/brand we have, but add both black pants and white pants to the arsenal. Both black and white jerseys could be worn with any of the pants. This would give us 6 uniform options while still always looking like “Iowa.”:
  • Black over gold
  • Black over black
  • Black over white
  • White over gold
  • White over black
  • White over white

I like this idea the best. Keeps our original logo and designs and gives them a few more options to work with.

Reactions: Lumas Etima
  • Black over gold
  • Black over black
  • Black over white
  • White over gold
  • White over black
  • White over white
Mixing and matching seems to be a thing teams with no established identity do. A better thing for Iowa would be one all-black alt, one gold alt, and one away alt each season.

I say we go all white when in Ames next year. Because you know they will go all black. Would be funny

Raiders type uniform is classic. All Black jersey, no stripes on the sleeves, gold number.... Yellow pants with thin gold stripe down the side... Heck, do a an old gold helmet with black tiger hawk too.
Copying the Steelers uniform worked for Fry, why not do an alternative that is similar to the Raiders? A uniform that actually looks more subtle/classic and is not gaudy would be my choice.

Reactions: jhawk23
Raiders type uniform is classic. All Black jersey, no stripes on the sleeves, gold number.... Yellow pants with thin gold stripe down the side... Heck, do a an old gold helmet with black tiger hawk too.
Copying the Steelers uniform worked for Fry, why not do an alternative that is similar to the Raiders? A uniform that actually looks more subtle/classic and is not gaudy would be my choice.

They did one a while back. A silverish type uniform/helmet. May have been around the veteran's day game.

I just want the W's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We could wear Mary's pant suits as long as we win.

1541_h.jpg

It doesn't hurt to change unis every 40 years. Love to see us go all black home like the top pic, one all gold for night games and all white with bright black and gold trim. Get rid of all the stripes and that ANF slogan on the helmet. Make the unis less busy.

Although, the Steeler's unis are iconic. Forty-three seasons later the Steelers are still a Super Bowl contender.

Reactions: jhawk23
I think we need to go to the same colors as Ohio State. Big time winning program. Look what it's done for IOWA STATE dressing like the Hawkeyes. The old adage, if you want to play like the big boy, you need to copy the big boys :eek:

We need a base yellow helmet for an alternate. Go with black stripe, black tigerhawk, black "Iowa" script, or black flying hawk options that way.

It doesn't hurt to change unis every 40 years. Love to see us go all black home like the top pic, one all gold for night games and all white with bright black and gold trim. Get rid of all the stripes and that ANF slogan on the helmet. Make the unis less busy.

Although, the Steeler's unis are iconic. Forty-three seasons later the Steelers are still a Super Bowl contender.

The unis for the 2015 home game against MN were great - only problem was that the numbers were way too big.

Not this year the Steelers aren't...speaking as a browns fan. 😂

ADVERTISEMENT