ADVERTISEMENT

Alumni Committee Dissolved

So this transpires in October, yet KF “abruptly” shut down the committee? I may just not be doing a good job of following along, but that seems to be a long period of time.

The article doesn't answer some important questions and then Harty doesn't bring them up in his piece. They were quick to say that Kirk refused to comment but did not say whether there was an effort to talk with other members of the committee. This article is pretty one sided. They didn't ask any current players. They didn't push why Porter felt his position as the chairman could call for the removal of the coach and if he had the backing of the committee.

This looks like Porter had a vision of what he wanted but what I can't tell is if the coaches stymied him or the committee did. I think the authors failed in providing some relevant information.

Also, anyone who doesn't personally know KF and would call him a douche from just reading the article already thought that with little reason. Perhaps, we should wait and see what happens leading into next season.

So Kirk should have just let Porter call for everyone's job which clearly is way out of scope of why he was there in the 1st place? Tell us all what really happened because you were there and are privy to how racist and horrible our coaching staff is. By the way, Jordan Lomax is on the record to not being in agreement with Porter. Porter looks like he got too big of himself. Of course KF is going to tell him to pound sand. He is going to restructure this with people who can stay in scope.
Absolutely on point. I'm not really sure where to start, but this is NOT about the issues the committee was tasked to help address. It's about the way Porter chose to move forward. The process hit a rough spot, and I can see some blame on both sides. This situation called for actual leadership and negotiating skill on Porter's part. Instead he proved to be completely out of his element and chose a power play. Calling for KFs resignation was was like going all in without even knowing what cards you hold. Because in this case, Porter held no cards at all. And "the cause" suffers as a result.

Did Harty ask him about the committee dissolving or about stuff months ago? It is very possible the committee was supposed to witk behind the scenes until Porter was obviously frustrated and spoke.

But I think a good point is that journalists should try to get the whole story and simply running with Porter's side and saying Iowa refused when they are in litigation is not doing that.

Ferentz + Coach K are the same person to me. Who they really are, and the image they create for media + fans are two very different things. Ferentz is wicked smart. He has 99% of the Iowa fanbase fooled, as evidenced by the support for him on this thread.

Win 10 games, and all is well. Overlook everything else. That's how it really is HerkyFan!
And why would things not be well. He's being paid to win games.......As for the other crap there's NEVER been anything but conjecture and one side of the story brought up 99% by a bunch of guys who didn't get to play at Iowa or had an obvious axe to grind, (Wadley).

Ferentz + Coach K are the same person to me. Who they really are, and the image they create for media + fans are two very different things. Ferentz is wicked smart. He has 99% of the Iowa fanbase fooled, as evidenced by the support for him on this thread.

Win 10 games, and all is well. Overlook everything else. That's how it really is HerkyFan!
Fooled, in what regard?

Lomax shot at Harty on twitter and Pat shot back saying he’s tried multiple times over the last 18 months to try to speak to him but he won’t answer. Interesting from both sides.
And Lomax responded asking him to prove that he’s tried to contact him as Lomax said it’s been since 2019.

Reactions: doughuddl2
I think this entire conversation is about KF's character. What you allow, you encourage. KF allowed this to happen for 20+ years. That speaks volumes about his character. Most (not all) Hawk fans see what they want to see because losing KF probably means BF is your new coach, and that frightens you (see 250 threads on firing BF as OC).

Yes, 51-47 is exciting. Good defense created 20 turnovers vs. Texas.

Okay, I'm out....NFL game is back on.
Allowed WHAT to happen exactly, because I've seen ZERO proof, and I'm pretty sure you haven't seen any either. What we've seen is exactly like this article. One side from the mouths of a handful of woe is me guys who didn't cut it, and the national spot light gave them a stage for their alleged issues. Please though do provide your proof that any of these guys was somehow wronged other then that they never lived up to their expectations of a college or pro career......

Allowed WHAT to happen exactly, because I've seen ZERO proof, and I'm pretty sure you haven't seen any either. What we've seen is exactly like this article. One side from the mouths of a handful of woe is me guys who didn't cut it, and the national spot light gave them a stage for their alleged issues. Please though do provide your proof that any of these guys was somehow wronged other then that they never lived up to their expectations of a college or pro career......
I believe 80+ guys came forward with various stories, so I don’t doubt there was stuff going on or said that shouldn’t have. The trouble is, while I do believe there were many that sounded legit to me, you then also had stuff like what Wadley has claimed that sounded like sour grapes to me, which watered down the legitimacy of those other complaints.

Yeah, outside of a meeting after the regular season ends, sure feels like most of their meetings should be between January and August, aside from alerting coaches of players reach out to them about something.
Yeah, I can see the need for the committee for a while, but I don't think it needs to be a permanent fixture in Iowa football. If the problem has been addressed and corrected for the athletes currently in the program, then I no longer see a need for it. I view it like seeing a marriage counselor, once the marital problems are fixed what would be the reason to continue seeing the counselor?

Cmon man. While the malcontents certainly have gotten way to much attention let’s not act like nothing at all went on. If you think this entire situation from when it was originally started is nothing but a witch hunt that’s not right. And it seems we’ve made many changes for the better. One of them getting rid of Doyle. I love the current atmosphere of the team right now.

Yeah, I can see the need for the committee for a while, but I don't think it needs to be a permanent fixture in Iowa football. If the problem has been addressed and corrected for the athletes currently in the program, then I no longer see a need for it. I view it like seeing a marriage counselor, once the marital problems are fixed what would be the reason to continue seeing the counselor?
If it’s been a good thing (and by all accounts it has) why not continue doing what we are doing ? We have a very small amount of minority students amongst a team made up mostly of minorities. It can’t be easy at times for these kids.

Reactions: Acerhawk
Gotta love those misleading headlines. It caught me too.
One could say that Ferentz dissolving the committee and not articulating at least some basic plan regarding its next iteration isn't the wisest move, however. It doesn't look great given what has been alleged to have transpired in the past and adds confusion and doubt about what's happening in the present.

It is interesting that a guy Kirk handpicked and also played on the team that really turned around the program all those years ago has chosen to ask for Kirk to resign over this? Makes zero sense.
It especially makes zero sense since that wasn’t why the committee was formed. It was formed to try to make a situation better - not give a group of former players AD power

Would be interesting to hear from Broderick Binns who is Asst AD DIE for athletics. Seems everything Porter said or was trying to do is literally in Binns job description

I would just like to know how members of said committee were selected, and two, you will never ever hear Kirk's side of it even if it would totally refute it. He just won't do it. Look, Kirk said he would step aside two years ago when this started if they felt that was what was needed and they all said no back then. And Doyle got booted, so what is going on now that is so atrocious Kirk needs to go? I mean David should answer since he likes to talk out in the open. I haven't seen or heard of any rumbling. I saw James Daniels recent quote about how Kirk never liked to have fun around practices and wouldn't play music. And James' head coach who liked that kind of stuff just got shit canned for doing a terrible job.

I think this entire conversation is about KF's character. What you allow, you encourage. KF allowed this to happen for 20+ years. That speaks volumes about his character. Most (not all) Hawk fans see what they want to see because losing KF probably means BF is your new coach, and that frightens you (see 250 threads on firing BF as OC).

Yes, 51-47 is exciting. Good defense created 20 turnovers vs. Texas.

Okay, I'm out....NFL game is back on.
Kids today don't like discipline. Why do we have to learn English in school and spell properly and form sentences and use proper tenses? Seems racist to me.

Give it a rest, Stender. We know who you are and where you come from. The term glass houses has never been more fitting.

Not quite the same thing to me. I think having the committee is a good thing, because it creates a separate outlet for players to bring up stuff if things are bothering them. Players often develop their own private network and coaches don’t necessarily hear about.

having something like this earlier might have headed off a lot of the stuff that ultimately came to light because no one felt comfortable going to coaches about stuff Doyle or other coaches did/said.

So Kirk should have just let Porter call for everyone's job which clearly is way out of scope of why he was there in the 1st place? Tell us all what really happened because you were there and are privy to how racist and horrible our coaching staff is. By the way, Jordan Lomax is on the record to not being in agreement with Porter. Porter looks like he got too big of himself. Of course KF is going to tell him to pound sand. He is going to restructure this with people who can stay in scope.
I know that if there was a committee looking at changing the culture at my work and my boss tasked me with specific ways to address and provide examples of those changes, I would do it. Sounds like some coaches couldn’t/didn’t provide examples of changes, doesn’t mean they’re racist, just means they potentially aren’t on-board. And why dissolve the committee if the only person with strong opinions was Porter?

• Haha
Reactions: CFNiteHawk85
I know that if there was a committee looking at changing the culture at my work and my boss tasked me with specific ways to address and provide examples of those changes, I would do it. Sounds like some coaches couldn’t/didn’t provide examples of changes, doesn’t mean they’re racist, just means they potentially aren’t on-board. And why dissolve the committee if the only person with strong opinions was Porter?
I think it's VERY important to recognize (and call out) that there's been a bit of wordsmithing here. The authors of the article used the term "dissolve" (even in the title) NOT KF. KFs description of the action is this: "I am giving thought to how we restructure the committee/board in a way that best serves our program moving forward.” "Restructure" is not the same as "dissolve". It's not unreasonable at all to suspect that this article was not written objectively, but with an agenda.

When the committees goal becomes to oust the head coach, I’m not sure keeping it going is the best avenue either. Porter seemed to want to be an extremely strong willed leader at times for the board, but also appeared to be aggressive. Usually major review occur after the full season like now, not interviewing coaches prior to a bowl game, and it also appears the coaches didn’t respect porter. This may mean there are still issues in the program or porter and his group were getting farther from the goals and reasons they were originally instituted for.
Porter stated that he wanted BF fired and called Kirk out for it. When the goal of the committee is to improve conditions for black athletes, targeting one coach like that seems counterproductive. I just wish there could be a consensus instead of flushing it. Not a good look for Iowa.

Reactions: ThisHawks4u

You don’t know him any better than the guy next to you on the barstool. Take another swig of Busch light and put the phone down.

Reactions: SoFla-Hawkeye
Porter stated that he wanted BF fired and called Kirk out for it. When the goal of the committee is to improve conditions for black athletes, targeting one coach like that seems counterproductive. I just wish there could be a consensus instead of flushing it. Not a good look for Iowa.
He called for KFs resignation: “The only way I see to save his legacy, protect the program, help those kids, and continue to move forward at the same time is for Kirk to retire,” he wrote.

Far beyond the scope of the committee's mission. I'm not saying he couldn't feel the way he felt. But he mishandled this, with no doubt. As Jordan Lomax is clearly stating, Porter did not represent the committee here, and he deserves to be called out. If he wants to lead a movement to oust KF and staff, have at it. But not as the chair of a committee established by KF.

I think it's VERY important to recognize (and call out) that there's been a bit of wordsmithing here. The authors of the article used the term "dissolve" (even in the title) NOT KF. KFs description of the action is this: "I am giving thought to how we restructure the committee/board in a way that best serves our program moving forward.” "Restructure" is not the same as "dissolve". It's not unreasonable at all to suspect that this article was not written objectively, but with an agenda.
KF did use the term:
“I have come to a decision that this is an appropriate time to dissolve our committee as it stands currently,” Ferentz wrote in a Tuesday email to the 10-member group of football alumni who have worked since summer 2020 to improve the program’s culture.

Sounds like once again this is a case of the media trying to control the narrative. ESPN ran a one sided narrative as well. I have heard from multiple sources Porter was on an island here in the committee and his actions were corrupting it. The former committee members were assured steps are being taken to resurrect the committee again after cutting out the corruption. The media failed to interview any other committee members before running a hit piece story.

Sounds like once again this is a case of the media trying to control the narrative. ESPN ran a one sided narrative as well. I have heard from multiple sources Porter was on an island here in the committee and his actions were corrupting it. The former committee members were assured steps are being taken to resurrect the committee again after cutting out the corruption. The media failed to interview any other committee members before running a hit piece story.
Exactly, which was my point about running with an article and only reporting less then half the story. You know the side that makes the story, more "scandelous". This is todays media. Unfortunately some like frydaze seem to disagree, and think its okay to do stories on the national media outlets that are extemely one sided and thus totally lacking in perspective.....

ADVERTISEMENT