ADVERTISEMENT

Alumni Committee Dissolved

Howe single-handedly killed HawkeyeNation... he's working on his next self-immolation project
This, to me, almost makes it worth the annoyance to be dealing with this. Howe and Harty take further hits to their credibility/professionalism, and one could argue that KF comes out of this even stronger.

Worth a brief chuckle, at least

Reactions: F5n5
She just keeps on digging.

falafel-gifalafel-hazfalafel-icanhasfalafel-reaction-gif-reaction-%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A0%D7%99%D7%9C%D7%A7%D7%91%D7%9C%D7%99%D7%9B%D7%95%D7%9C%D7%A4%D7%9C%D7%90%D7%A4%D7%9C.gif

Her article is complete crap. She should be fired immediately. Completely one-sided garbage and she doesn't even mention that the reason the decision to dissolve and restructure the committee was made is because Porter made it non-constructive by calling for everyone's firing.
One can be generous and say she simply had an incomplete picture when they ran with the story. The more that comes out makes it look more like they rushed the story and now don’t want to admit they got it wrong.

Reactions: F5n5
Gazette is probably getting clicks so they don't care. Truly despicable. So irritating
Perhaps it's a ploy to drive traffic to their pathetic excuse for a paper. HawkCentral and The Athletic have much better content. Gazette has very little if any original content.

Perhaps it's a ploy to drive traffic to their pathetic excuse for a paper. HawkCentral and The Athletic have much better content. Gazette has very little if any original content.
May be a short term gain for the Gazette but this will have long term consequences, especially for Miller who will face much ridicule in this small town when recognized.

May be a short term gain for the Gazette but this will have long term consequences, especially for Miller who will face much ridicule in this small town when recognized.
Probably also going to be a rough road ahead for John Steppe, who has only been on the Hawkeye beat since about September. Steppe replaced Leah Vann, who bolted after only 10 months at the Gazette. I thought Vann showed some promise. I wonder if she realized the depths of journalism she had stumbled into at the Gazette, and quickly found a parachute.

Having grown up reading the Gazette every morning, it saddens me to see how far my hometown paper has fallen.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Probably also going to be a rough road ahead for John Steppe, who has only been on the Hawkeye beat since about September. Steppe replaced Leah Vann, who bolted after only 10 months at the Gazette. I thought Vann showed some promise. I wonder if she realized the depths of journalism she had stumbled into at the Gazette, and quickly found a parachute.

Having grown up reading the Gazette every morning, it saddens me to see how far my hometown paper has fallen.
Leah was actually fantastic. Wonderful insight and she brought a great human-interest perspective. You can tell she actually was trained in journalism in how she asked questions. She always showed integrity.

Steppe and Miller display the new journalism which is more of glorified social media with no concern for actually gathering facts or writing with perspective. All editorializing. The kind of crap I'd expect from writers at Slate or some other liberal rag and not from a local newspaper.

But you get what you pay for. And it's blatantly obvious that The Gazette is paying for the bare minimum with these hacks.

One can be generous and say she simply had an incomplete picture when they ran with the story. The more that comes out makes it look more like they rushed the story and now don’t want to admit they got it wrong.
Pretty obvious they had a point of view to push and just ran with it, with one small data point. The next time I hear complaints from the media about "supporting local journalism," hard pass. The double and tripling down by Miller and the editor is beyond shameful. The original story was incomplete, period.

No one thinks KF is pure as the driven snow, as this idiot columnist from the Gazette is trying to claim. Complete straw man argument. Saying that if you don't agree with the story you are a KF homer.

It's this type of nonsense that makes me never want to subscribe to a local media outlet ever again. Who pays to have their intelligence insulted like that, over and over? Thing is, there's plenty to go after KF/be critical of him just on the football merits. You don't have to insinuate stuff about him or borderline make things up. Having his son as the OC was a bad idea when it happened in 2017, and the idea is no better now. Are other assistants really free to share any concerns they have with the direction of the offense? There's a reason nepotism isn't allowed in the workplace of any public company or supposedly in the public sector either. But yes, Barta is providing oversight of BF. Again, don't insult my intelligence.

it's like we live in bizarro world, where entities on whatever side of an issue can just make things up whole cloth, and if you question or disagree you are made to feel crazy. I don't understand what has happened.

Her article is complete crap. She should be fired immediately. Completely one-sided garbage and she doesn't even mention that the reason the decision to dissolve and restructure the committee was made is because Porter made it non-constructive by calling for everyone's firing.

If you want to criticize the accuracy of something, best to be accurate yourself.
This is my understanding of the time line:
Ferentz said the decision to “dissolve the committee in its current form” was made in November 2021.
Porter’s text message suggesting that Kirk Ferentz should “retire” (not get fired) was on 1/3/22.
Ferentz’s e-mail to the advisory/committee members informing them of his decision was on 1/11/22.
Ferentz claimed he was fully unaware of Porter’s text message on 1/3/22 when he sent the 1/11/22 email. Ferentz further claimed to be disappointed when learning of Porter’s comments - after sending his email.o

If I’ve missed something suggesting that Porter was calling for Ferentz to be fired before November, my apologies in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWardT
Good lord. They can’t admit they were wrong
Correct. ^^ This aspect is just like the DMR fracas a couple of years ago with the young man that had the funny sign and ended up donating big $$'s to the Children's Hospital. Yet the DMR felt the need to "cancel" him. That blew up on them too, but they just could NOT own up to their stupidity...sadly, the CRG appears to following the same script here.

This incredible smugness tells you all you need to know in terms of whether you should digest anything these rats have to say. They are self righteous idealogues...period.

The Gazette has had three articles now on this topic and none of them acknowledge the existence of the Director of DEI in the AD's office. The actual position created to officially address these issues. There is a DEI taskforce as well. I think what just shows the level of poor journalism is that they don't even seem to know these things exist and keep acting like KF's personal advisory committee is the University's committee somehow. It is just either sloppy or they just aren't very good at their job. I think it is a combo of both. I also think it has to do with wanting to be the first one to get a story out and knowing that slanting a story a certain way will get more clicks. I don't know the people who wrote it but I don't want to put any bad intent on what they are doing until I actually know that is what they are doing. Maybe they don't even realize they might be putting their own bias into the reporting?

Correct. ^^ This aspect is just like the DMR fracas a couple of years ago with the young man that had the funny sign and ended up donating big $$'s to the Children's Hospital. Yet the DMR felt the need to "cancel" him. That blew up on them too, but they just could NOT own up to their stupidity...sadly, the CRG appears to following the same script here.

This incredible smugness tells you all you need to know in terms of whether you should digest anything these rats have to say. They are self righteous idealogues...period.
Actually, the Register fired the kid that wrote that story. Which I don't think was the right thing to do. But I don't want to get into that old story. I don't want anyone fired. I just want to have people actually do a good job reporting. Do your homework, include multiple sides. Don't rush to print something that isn't finished. Don't sensationalize by writing a clickbait headline. Just report it and let people make up their own minds.

I mean how dumb. A member says to fire himself. So what is Kirk gonna do. Geee. Kirk says well David said I need to fire myself so here goes. This is all so stupid.

Reactions: Bro D
I'm sick of the racism talk, and I don't care if Ferentz may have known of a very marginal racist comment (Doyle) that was made at some point and didn't fire the person. You shouldn't get fired for saying something like "black people don't like water." Not a good thing to say, but also not something someone should be fired for. That's my opinion.

Racism is not hiring, lending, providing housing, serving, promoting someone because of their color. Racism is also using racial slurs among other things. The allegations of racism within the Iowa program were mild at best.

Pouring your heart and sole into athletes, many of them of color, like Chris Doyle did is not being racist, and I don't care if he said some things he shouldn't have. You won't convince me that Chris Doyle didn't get royally screwed by the woke mob at a time the woke mob was running rampant across this country, and you won't convince me that Doyle didn't care for and treat his athletes of color with respect and dignity.

Racism isn't not wanting to listen to rap music. Racism isn't being on time. Racism isn't sleep tracking devices. Racism isn't making weight. Racism isn't wearing your pants around your waste. Ferentz demonstrates class in about everything he has done at Iowa. He's not racist.

The Gazette has had three articles now on this topic and none of them acknowledge the existence of the Director of DEI in the AD's office. The actual position created to officially address these issues. There is a DEI taskforce as well. I think what just shows the level of poor journalism is that they don't even seem to know these things exist and keep acting like KF's personal advisory committee is the University's committee somehow. It is just either sloppy or they just aren't very good at their job. I think it is a combo of both. I also think it has to do with wanting to be the first one to get a story out and knowing that slanting a story a certain way will get more clicks. I don't know the people who wrote it but I don't want to put any bad intent on what they are doing until I actually know that is what they are doing. Maybe they don't even realize they might be putting their own bias into the reporting?
Possible they are not aware. But the actual editor has been doubling down on the story, so even when people point out errors/issues, it's pretty obvious that they don't care. All the things you point out have been true since late 2020 (Director of DEI and the DEI Taskforce). Agree that it's not helpful to ascribe bad intentions to people, but the public will vote with not renewing subs.

Actually, the Register fired the kid that wrote that story. Which I don't think was the right thing to do. But I don't want to get into that old story. I don't want anyone fired. I just want to have people actually do a good job reporting. Do your homework, include multiple sides. Don't rush to print something that isn't finished. Don't sensationalize by writing a clickbait headline. Just report it and let people make up their own minds.
Agree that just randomly firing people is bad. With that said, the reporter that wrote the story had Tweeted much worse things than Carson King did, which I guess the Register thought was a bad look. The whole experience was shameful for the Register. Going after King for things he tweeted when he was 15 or 16 was really beyond the pale. Yes, in the end the Register looks petty but the damage was already done. Budweiser or whoever the big beer company was that was going to sponsor him dropped him.

The fact that the story in the Register passed editorial review and they still published it was very emblematic of how they view the world and their readers. Worthy of having their lives destroyed if the subject doesn't perfectly align with the world view of the subject. Seriously, what person would ever subject themselves to be featured in the Register if they suddenly become famous for whatever reason?

But then we will get more think pieces about the need to support local journalism.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan

And Dorman jumping in defending Vanessa showing his Ignorance and his worthless opinion topics.

I'm sick of the racism talk, and I don't care if Ferentz may have known of a very marginal racist comment (Doyle) that was made at some point and didn't fire the person. You shouldn't get fired for saying something like "black people don't like water." Not a good thing to say, but also not something someone should be fired for. That's my opinion.

Racism is not hiring, lending, providing housing, serving, promoting someone because of their color. Racism is also using racial slurs among other things. The allegations of racism within the Iowa program were mild at best.

Pouring your heart and sole into athletes, many of them of color, like Chris Doyle did is not being racist, and I don't care if he said some things he shouldn't have. You won't convince me that Chris Doyle didn't get royally screwed by the woke mob at a time the woke mob was running rampant across this country, and you won't convince me that Doyle didn't care for and treat his athletes of color with respect and dignity.

Racism isn't not wanting to listen to rap music. Racism isn't being on time. Racism isn't sleep tracking devices. Racism isn't making weight. Racism isn't wearing your pants around your waste. Ferentz demonstrates class in about everything he has done at Iowa. He's not racist.
Well, it was more than just one or two things that cost Doyle his job, but I agree with your larger point.

Reactions: littlez
Porter stated that he wanted BF fired and called Kirk out for it. When the goal of the committee is to improve conditions for black athletes, targeting one coach like that seems counterproductive. I just wish there could be a consensus instead of flushing it. Not a good look for Iowa.
I read the excerpts from coach Ferentz' letter to the parents of the players and it clarifies that the committee as it was has been dissolved, but a new committee with more recent players will constitute a new committee. That makes more sense. Iowa cannot go forward without including those players who have been through the changes and can add their input. Porter sounds as though he was bitter toward a few coaches (B Ferentz in particular). A committee like this is not place to air personal grievances.

Good post.

did Porter say 17-22 year olds are idiots?
He's not wrong about that, at least, though..........and gullible/impressionable high school kids are worse.

I can say that factual statement because I'm not trying to recruit kids to Iowa or keep them here. I don't have to hide or be politically correct. :D

Pretty obvious they had a point of view to push and just ran with it, with one small data point. The next time I hear complaints from the media about "supporting local journalism," hard pass. The double and tripling down by Miller and the editor is beyond shameful. The original story was incomplete, period.

No one thinks KF is pure as the driven snow, as this idiot columnist from the Gazette is trying to claim. Complete straw man argument. Saying that if you don't agree with the story you are a KF homer.

It's this type of nonsense that makes me never want to subscribe to a local media outlet ever again. Who pays to have their intelligence insulted like that, over and over? Thing is, there's plenty to go after KF/be critical of him just on the football merits. You don't have to insinuate stuff about him or borderline make things up. Having his son as the OC was a bad idea when it happened in 2017, and the idea is no better now. Are other assistants really free to share any concerns they have with the direction of the offense? There's a reason nepotism isn't allowed in the workplace of any public company or supposedly in the public sector either. But yes, Barta is providing oversight of BF. Again, don't insult my intelligence.

it's like we live in bizarro world, where entities on whatever side of an issue can just make things up whole cloth, and if you question or disagree you are made to feel crazy. I don't understand what has happened.
Can't be in the spotlight if there isn't a story to tell.............

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT