ADVERTISEMENT

Alumni Committee Dissolved

A

anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r

Had not seen this posted yet. Kind of disappointing to hear.

Had not seen this posted yet. Kind of disappointing to hear.

When the committees goal becomes to oust the head coach, I’m not sure keeping it going is the best avenue either. Porter seemed to want to be an extremely strong willed leader at times for the board, but also appeared to be aggressive. Usually major review occur after the full season like now, not interviewing coaches prior to a bowl game, and it also appears the coaches didn’t respect porter. This may mean there are still issues in the program or porter and his group were getting farther from the goals and reasons they were originally instituted for.

Last edited:
I think both Kirk and porter both come out looking bad even from reading the article you can tell trying to make KF look worse. The timing of the dissolved committee days before huge contract extension has bad optics. What ever KF says they weren’t related with porters comments tough not to relate the two. Especially when it seemed like Iowa was putting the fiasco of 20’ summer behind us. But this makes a lot of the positive progress look to be a wash. Especially with not having some alternative in its place.

Flip side porter and some of his demands seemed bit too unrealistic and some over reach with his position. seemed like one of those people what ever was done would never be good enough to his standard. I will agree with his comment how Kirk would fall on the sword for his son and other coaches no matter what. However I think not all but a lot of them he would but with Brian no brainer as has been discussed ad nauseam here. But honestly what did he expect to happen when he called for the firing of a coach who had been there 23 yrs and the AD? He knew it wasn’t plausible and he had to have known his mini coup or what ever you want to call it would have some repercussions probably not at the lengths of what happened. End of the day no winners here.

Whether you want KF to retire or not you should be able to see what a hack article this is. Where are the quotes from other guys on the committee? Do you honestly believe no other former player disagreed with Porter? Where is their voice?

We get a few short paragraphs of the dissolution of the committee and then 1500 words of a story that's been told over and over...solid "journalism".

Good for Kirk. Porter doesnt run the program and obviously is using it to forward his agenda as a non-partner in the supposed collaboration.
This. I love how people act like if they were the head coach they'd allow someone from outside to take a flamethrower to the whole management of the team. Its obvious some folks on the committee like Mr. Porter had their own agenda....

“Has nothing to do with his comments.”

If this right here doesn’t prove to you loyal Kirkists that he’s a genuine POS, nothing ever will (though it shouldn’t have taken you this long).
If you REALLY believe that the CEO of this team is a "genuine POS" then its time for you to move on for your own mental health, because the guy is not going anywhere, and Iowa's going to keep right on winning and moving forward, regardless of all this "woke" nonsense. If you really thing this "culture" issue is an Iowa thing and not a national conversation, then your naive or uninformed.

When the committees goal becomes to oust the head coach, I’m not sure keeping it going is the best avenue either. Porter seemed to want to be an extremely strong willed leader at times for the board, but also appeared to be aggressive. Usually major review occur after the full season like now, not interviewing coaches prior to a bowl game, and it also appears the coaches didn’t respect porter. This may mean there are still issues in the program or porter and his group were getting farther from the goals and reasons they were originally instituted for.
That’s kind of my take, though I did believe things were all good.

To me this indicates either there are still major issues with the staff and program OR it was an issue with Porter and committee and frankly I have 0 idea which it is.
Thought we were done with all this….

• Haha
Reactions: CFNiteHawk85
Porter calls for the removal of the AD and the coaching staff? That seems to be a bit beyond what his role or purpose is suppose to be on the committee. This was calculated and Porter knew how KF had to respond. Was his pride hurt by coaches not doing their homework due to the having little time to work on it during the regular season?

I guarantee KF did not respond without consulting the AD, Iowa's legal team and his own personnel lawyer. As long as the committee's in place and Porter was driving the boat he would use it for his own personal agenda.

KF and the university do need to respond quickly with an alternative to the committee.

Just when I think things are going the right way, this comes out. Dissolving the committee wasn’t a good move on Kirks part. Curious to know which coaches were unprepared and failed or refused to answer the 1 question.
I’d guess Wallace, BF and Parker.

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
First of all nowhere in there did I read that another iteration of the committee won't be created. In the second paragraph he essentially states restructuring the committee. The fact is the chair of the committee used the forum to speak on matters unrelated to the reason why the committee was started. If the reason to request Kirk retire dealt with racial issues or player treatment I'd be in full support of the conversation. But it wasn't so I don't fault Kirk for making this move. If David Porter cared about the legitimacy of this committee he should have stepped down first before pushing his agenda or at least pushed the agenda in a different direction than the committee itself.

One more thing to point out is the timeline. It said a contentious meeting took place on October 18th. What happened around that time, oh we lost our undefeated season 2 days prior to Purdue. I fear the chair of the committee became over reaching going beyond the reasons to why it was created riding emotions of a ugly loss.

Last edited:
It has been clear for months on end that Porter has an inflated sense of self-importance. He clearly wants to have more power over the program than he is entitled to. The committee’s purpose was good, and needed. However, it seems clear to me that nothing beyond an entire staff/program overhaul would have satisfied Porter.

My advice for anyone, is to take David Porter’s words with a grain of salt. He has an ulterior motive, and had lost the staff and much of the committee as well. I’m sure KF will continue to take feedback from football alumni, as he has done a great job keeping alum close. I get the sense however, that the committee had changed from a forum for conversation, and turned into a lectureship.

If this right here doesn’t prove to you loyal Kirkists that he’s a genuine POS, nothing ever will (though it shouldn’t have taken you this long).
Skirt fan outraged and telling Hawk fans his version of reality. Let me guess Scotty boy should have been hiding under the bed while his buddy beat his GF?

If Kirk didn’t like the direction then he should have asked for change within the committee. Dissolving a committee that addressed issues with players that included racism isn’t a good look for Kirk or the University.

That’s kind of my take, though I did believe things were all good.

To me this indicates either there are still major issues with the staff and program OR it was an issue with Porter and committee and frankly I have 0 idea which it is.
Thought we were done with all this….
I think it appears obvious that for the large majority those "in the program" seem happy with the way things have gone. There will ALWAYS be some discontented people in a group of 120 or so players who think they are being overlooked or not listened to "their culture". Just look at the players involved in the law suit. Enough said. I guess my questions to all those who are concerned about things in the Iowa program are, A) Do you really believe that this doesn't go on in MOST programs? Players eventually leave for what they consider are "greener pastures". This is why this transfer portal mess has blown up so bad. There are a LOT of players out there who think their not getting their shot, or have other issues with coaches or whatever. B). How many coaches have had (for a LONG time) had a player leadership council, made up of players from each class, (voted on by the players), who review team policies, issues etc.. involving the team? KF put this in place a long time ago, and I'll guarantee you this forward thinking doesn't go on at each school. Now I realize that in the end KF, (the CEO) makes final calls on the councils recommendations, as he should, but if he didn't listen to their collective concerns, this would certainly have come up before.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Why was it so hard for Porter to table the discussion until after the season (per Kirk’s request) instead of in the middle of the season during a bye week? If he wanted full responses to his questions, he should’ve complied. Porter looks like an ass in this whole fiasco.

Why was it so hard for Porter to table the discussion until after the season (per Kirk’s request) instead of in the middle of the season during a bye week? If he wanted full responses to his questions, he should’ve complied. Porter looks like an ass in this whole fiasco.
Absolutely. Unfortunately many in the media will broadbrush this into another story on KF and his program while only telling the 20% of the story that benefits their agenda, while leaving out much of the pertinent factual information...

Wait.....it is the the committee's preference to call for Kirk's job because Brian's offense can't beat Purdue? Is that why the committee was formed?

If Kirk didn’t like the direction then he should have asked for change within the committee. Dissolving a committee that addressed issues with players that included racism isn’t a good look for Kirk or the University.

I'm curious to hear what all this committee had done. It's tough to say if this was a good decision or a bad one without knowing what all has been accomplished.

I'd like to hear from more guys in that committe than just Porter before rushing to judgment either way.

I'm curious to hear what all this committee had done. It's tough to say if this was a good decision or a bad one without knowing what all has been accomplished.

I'd like to hear from more guys in that committe than just Porter before rushing to judgment either way.
Yep. We need a full investigation of the committee. Maybe a committee for the review of the committee

What am I missing here? Why is this so bad? Restructuring the committee seems fine especially when the point of the committee was never to make a recommendation on ferentz status as coach. In any other workplace in America if that recommendation was made of a CEO there would be restructuring.

First of all nowhere in there did I read that another iteration of the committee won't be created. In the second paragraph he essentially states restructuring the committee. The fact is the chair of the committee used the forum to speak on matters unrelated to the reason why the committee was started. If the reason to request Kirk retire dealt with racial issues or player treatment I'd be in full support of the conversation. But it wasn't so I don't fault Kirk for making this move. If David Porter cared about the legitimacy of this committee he should have stepped down first before pushing his agenda or at least pushed the agenda in a different direction than the committee itself.

One more thing to point out is the timeline. It said a contentious meeting took place on October 18th. What happened around that time, oh we lost our undefeated season 2 days prior to Purdue. I fear the committee became over reaching and going beyond the reasons to why it was created riding emotions of a ugly loss.
It wasn’t the committee…it was Porter. A few others told him to STFU and of course it led to this.

What am I missing here? Why is this so bad? Restructuring the committee seems fine especially when the point of the committee was never to make a recommendation on ferentz status as coach. In any other workplace in America if that recommendation was made of a CEO there would be restructuring.
This. Lots of comments I’ve seen all over social media clearly points out those that do not understand how the corporate world works. KF runs the program as the CEO.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
In any other workplace in America if that recommendation was made of a CEO there would be restructuring.
No there wouldn’t.

Corporate culture is a team message that either you become part of it or you get out. People want to think they can force change on things because they don’t like it. That’s not how it works. The culture should be inclusive to start and that’s what KF wants, not divisive, which it sounds like David Porter wants to create that atmosphere.

I’ll wait to hear what KF has to say and why to everything that’s taken place before coming to any conclusion. I’m sure the current player committee will also have a message regarding their position on where everything stands as a team and program.

Reactions: ThisHawks4u
So the whole thing is a little odd. Porter was hand picked by Kirk to head the committee. This went South quickly unfortunately.

Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
No there wouldn’t.

Corporate culture is a team message that either you become part of it or you get out. People want to think they can force change on things because they don’t like it. That’s not how it works. The culture should be inclusive to start and that’s what KF wants, not divisive, which it sounds like David Porter wants to create that atmosphere.

I’ll wait to hear what KF has to say and why to everything that’s taken place before coming to any conclusion. I’m sure the current player committee will also have a message regarding their position on where everything stands as a team and program.
I think you read it wrong and I poorly worded it. I meant if a committee made a recommendation like that the committee would be restructured and or fired, not the head person.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
Too lazy to do the google search, but has anyone other than Porter on this committee stepped up to complain about this dissolution? If not, sometimes silence speaks volumes. It would not totally surprise me if "restructuring" is just a polite way of saying "get rid of Porter and bring in someone else"

Too lazy to do the google search, but has anyone other than Porter on this committee stepped up to complain about this dissolution? If not, sometimes silence speaks volumes. It would not totally surprise me if "restructuring" is just a polite way of saying "get rid of Porter and bring in someone else"
Or at the very least gives the image "we don't like what Porter is saying so we need to take him out"

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Absolutely. Unfortunately many in the media will broadbrush this into another story on KF and his program while only telling the 20% of the story that benefits their agenda, while leaving out much of the pertinent factual information...
And at this point who could blame them? Committee has been dissolved after a contentious meeting in October. Nothing else currently in place. Right on the heels of KFs extension. Take off your blinders.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
And at this point who could blame them? Committee has been dissolved after a contentious meeting in October. Nothing else currently in place. Right on the heels of KFs extension. Take off your blinders.
It doesn’t look great, that’s for sure. But hard to say what problem is with half the story.

Either way maybe Kirk can do some “restructuring” at offensive coordinator?

• Haha
Reactions: CFNiteHawk85

It seems unlikely Ferentz dissolved the committee without consulting with many of not most of those on the committee. It is possible the majority on the committee felt it was time to move on to a different structure.

I also doubt this was done without consulting with legal representation. I assume Brian is one who have no answer to the question as he is engaged in litigation specifically related to the reason the committee was formed.

ADVERTISEMENT