ADVERTISEMENT

Alumni Committee Dissolved

Either way, there should be an investigation….if coaches currently employed by the University of Iowa actually said what Porter stated:
Porter said, adding that one of the coaches said frankly during that discussion, “College football is all about money.”

OR

“Non-responses ranged from coaches suggesting they let someone else deal with it to rebuffing the need to address the issue because, “We’re all white,” Porter said.”

should be grounds to consider termination for that coach period. IF those things were actually said.

The article made it seem like this occurred during the “contentious meeting” so surely there would be witnesses to credit/discredit this account

Reactions: Hawkdome
Had not seen this posted yet. Kind of disappointing to hear.
We gave them one month to answer one question they already had the answer to, and they didn’t come prepared.”

If Porter believes this is true, then he is simply being a dick.

It feels as though the only reasonable conclusion right now is to wait for more information…

The story Porter is telling about the “one thing” is really disappointing and not terribly hard to imagine. It’s borderline cliche to imagine a group of old white men of power that feel “disrespected” and “attacked” when they’re asked to respond to a hard question.

That level of cliche and these stories about what people thought about Porter also don’t make it hard to think he was lashing out when an unrealistic expectation wasnt met. He may have even felt it would fail from day 1 and suffered confirmation bias. If you had a negative opinion of this group - isn’t this the EXACT way you would expect it to play out?

Since it’s a message board and it’s all about hot takes and little nuance… I kind of believe Porters story at least at some degree. There’s just to much noise coming out of this program to say there’s not some level of “old boys club” or an unwillingness to evolve.

So the whole thing is a little odd. Porter was hand picked by Kirk to head the committee. This went South quickly unfortunately.
All things are great when you’re winning. We lose a couple games and Porter now thinks he can play the AD role. I think some are underestimating how much “noise” Porter was drumming up. Believe me, it wasn’t just KF that wanted him out of this role.

It seems like most in this thread support Ferentz. What would be the reaction if this same story were coming from Ames, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Lincoln, Columbus, Happy Valley, etc?

It seems like a lot (not all) of fans are willing to overlook some things to maintain the success of the FB program.

The timing of it all (especially following a contract extension) seems odd. I don't think there is any question who runs the U of I.

Reactions: wkato
It seems like most in this thread support Ferentz. What would be the reaction if this same story were coming from Ames, East Lansing, Ann Arbor, Lincoln, Columbus, Happy Valley, etc?

It seems like a lot (not all) of fans are willing to overlook some things to maintain the success of the FB program.

The timing of it all (especially following a contract extension) seems odd. I don't think there is any question who runs the U of I.
Clemson went through a similar period two summers ago, that according the evidence we had, was just as flimsy as Iowa's.

It's not overlooking things due to success. It's calling bullshit for what it is.

I guarantee KF did not respond without consulting the AD, Iowa's legal team and his own personnel lawyer. As long as the committee's in place and Porter was driving the boat he would use it for his own personal agenda.
The problem with your statement about Kirk consulting before doing this is, look who he’s consulting with.

Barta, who’s section on controversies is more than twice as long as the section on his career accomplishments on his Wikipedia page. And who most of us want gone because of his ineptitude.

Iowa’s legal team, who are equally as inept at their job as Barta is at his. Honestly for a university with a decent law college, our school lawyers are significantly lacking.

I don‘t know about Kirk’s personal lawyer though. Maybe that person is competent at their job.

This. I love how people act like if they were the head coach they'd allow someone from outside to take a flamethrower to the whole management of the team. Its obvious some folks on the committee like Mr. Porter had their own agenda....
But he's doing it for the kids bud!! He knows what they want/need even though he doesn't know any of them ;)

Did you read the article? Did you also read the article about the KF extension?

While clown fans like you will claim these happened one after the other, reality smacks down clown fan delusions. KF disbanded the committee with UI leadership awaresness prior to the contract extension.

My guess is that since KF knew he was disbanding the committee prior to his contract extension he has a different plan in mind. Will clown fans be willing to see what that is or will they just ignore reality again once it comes to light.

We are all ears Stender, tell us how it really is.

I see another one that didn’t read the article chimes in. Exactly tell me what you would do if you were in KF’s shoes with a so-called trusted guy openly trying to get you fired in the middle of a football season? The committee isn’t going away…Porter just won’t be in charge going forward.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
That’s kind of my take, though I did believe things were all good.

To me this indicates either there are still major issues with the staff and program OR it was an issue with Porter and committee and frankly I have 0 idea which it is.
Thought we were done with all this….
I feel like multiple things can be true here.

1) the overall culture and behavior by the coaches has improved. We have numerous players publicly stating they feel better about the program.
2) Porter imo overstepped with his suggestion that Kirk and co step down. Even if only meant to be private that’s not what the committee is meant for. The only way he could justify that is if nothing had changed and we know that’s not the case.
3) while the culture has improved, there are still things to continue to address.
4) It’s a bad look from a PR standpoint how Kirk then proceeded here. Feel like the better move would have been to ask Porter to step down and ask if anyone else on the committee would take on the leadership role.

And at this point who could blame them? Committee has been dissolved after a contentious meeting in October. Nothing else currently in place. Right on the heels of KFs extension. Take off your blinders.
My blinders? For Christ's sake, get real! As i posted the MEDIA will only tell 20% of the pertinent facts while leaving out other info like that many other committee members weren't in agreement with what Porter was doing. Typical media sensationalism. Maybe YOU should take off your blinders....This is mostly more about making a story then its is about reporting FACTS, which is generally what the media does..

Hey Stender have you seen the tweet from Jordan Lomax or must we ignore it? I mean clown fans loved touting what he had to say in 2020 how about now?

1) the overall culture and behavior by the coaches has improved. We have numerous players publicly stating they feel better about the program.
2) Porter imo overstepped with his suggestion that Kirk and co step down. Even if only meant to be private that’s not what the committee is meant for. The only way he could justify that is if nothing had changed and we know that’s not the case.
3) while the culture has improved, there are still things to continue to address.
4) It’s a bad look from a PR standpoint how Kirk then proceeded here. Feel like the better move would have been to ask Porter to step down and ask if anyone else on the committee would take on the leadership role.
Agree. Im hoping they tried #4 first but who knows.

Reactions: sober_teacher

I probably wouldn't know anything about it as I don't believe this is a very big story.

Many fans of other teams I've spoken with, outside of message board/Twitter nuts, think the lawsuit is a joke filed by ambulance chasers.

I don't believe all of this is nearly the black eye on the program some think it is.

Well said. Not sure how it got to this point with Porter. Again, he was hand picked by Kirk to head the committee. Very odd.

I probably wouldn't know anything about it as I don't believe this is a very big story.

Many fans of other teams I've spoken with, outside of message board/Twitter nuts, think the lawsuit is a joke filed by ambulance chasers.

I don't believe all of this is nearly the black eye on the program some think it is.
Nope we must believe all clown fan delusions and refuse to think for ourselves. We have to pick and choose certain facts and ignore everything else. Otherwise we just have to chalk up more examples of how the isu fan base has an adversarial relationship with reality.

Last edited:
My blinders? For Christ's sake, get real! As i posted the MEDIA will only tell 20% of the pertinent facts while leaving out other info like that many other committee members weren't in agreement with what Porter was doing. Typical media sensationalism. Maybe YOU should take off your blinders....This is mostly more about making a story then its is about reporting FACTS, which is generally what the media does..
Typical when you don't like the story you bash the story/authors.

Freaking victim mentality.

Reactions: Hawkdome
Whether you want KF to retire or not you should be able to see what a hack article this is. Where are the quotes from other guys on the committee? Do you honestly believe no other former player disagreed with Porter? Where is their voice?

We get a few short paragraphs of the dissolution of the committee and then 1500 words of a story that's been told over and over...solid "journalism".
It took two people to write that ‘article’.

Reactions: ThisHawks4u
Exactly. Odd that he hand picks this guy to lead the committee but then fires him when he doesnt like what he says. We all know who is in charge in Iowa City. Win 10 games and all is well. Ferentz is a douce.
Thank god we have a clown fan here to pick and choose facts and become outraged.

Can you post the last 10 win season for the clowns?

ADVERTISEMENT