ADVERTISEMENT

Alumni Committee Dissolved

I find this hard to believe. I remember hearing it growing up a ton. I can't count how many times but it was used a lot. I saw a kid from my HS beat the crap out of someone who called him that. I know it is a problem in my father-in-laws city up north because there has been complaints about kids calling a AA kid in the school that.
There were just recent stories the last couple years about opposing fans at HS sports games using racial slurs against kids.

I never said the word wasn't used, only that I only heard it a handful of times. I too heard stories of some racial slurs used in HS FB games. A classmate of my daughter (no pics) who is the son of a very good friend, said there was a certain school in CR (not a public school) that was notorious for that.

I never said the word wasn't used, only that I only heard it a handful of times. I too heard stories of some racial slurs used in HS FB games. A classmate of my daughter (no pics) who is the son of a very good friend, said there was a certain school in CR (not a public school) that was notorious for that.
Lol. No it’s not said by Xavier players.

Reactions: Section25
As of 8:00 pm Pat Harty is posting on Twitter but has yet to acknowledge Chad's tweet (his defense the past two days is that he can't get a comment to present the other side of the story - yet he is refusing to acknowledge it now). Rob Howe also retweeted Vanessa's tweet. It's becoming more evident these reporters aren't/weren't after the truth.
As if. Shocking right? like most of these hacks are ever interesting in ever getting both sides to a story.

I agree that I think they got fixated on how many they sent to the NFL, didn’t notice at the same time that they were seeing more transfers, or didn’t dig deep enough as to why the transfers happened.

much of what happened could have been avoided had they been more introspective a few years earlier and who knows? Maybe Doyle doesn’t get fired.
Well in the case of most of the guys in the lawsuit they transferred because they weren't playing. Doesn't take much "introspection" to figure that out...

Yeah, advising Kirk on how to help create a more inclusive and accepting team culture...

This is what you need to do

I'm not going to do that

Then the only way to accomplish what you asked us to advise you on is to step away.

I'm not saying I'm agreeing with the prescribed course of action. But is isn't hard to read between the lines as to how things got here.
Then why was Porter the only one evidently who felt that way? There were 10 people on the committee I believe, and haven't heard ANYONE else come out and say that this needs to be the course of action. Certainly makes it appear that porter had his own agenda, and thats unfortunate.

It's a good thing they didn't simply write, "Kirk Ferentz Dissolved". I'd have to pull up the clip from The Garry Shandling Show in order to help everyone understand (fist-bump for those who get it)

For reference, forward to 7:00 mark of video!

Absolutely. Unfortunately many in the media will broadbrush this into another story on KF and his program while only telling the 20% of the story that benefits their agenda, while leaving out much of the pertinent factual information...
I wonder where they could have gotten an idea to drive an agenda like that.

Anyone else just get that ESPN alert about their new article calling for Kirk to retire?

after hearing from Jordan Lomax, who I have always respected based on past interviews….ESPN can take a hike….

Anyone else just get that ESPN alert about their new article calling for Kirk to retire?

after hearing from Jordan Lomax, who I have always respected based on past interviews….ESPN can take a hike….
From their outlet the Undefeated.

Don't bother, it's pure garbage. The author outright admits to conjuring stories about "what he thinks really happened" multiple times in the article. Nobody in their right mind will take it seriously.

The new article is the same as the other one.

Neither reporter is bright enough to grasp that the committee Porter was chairing was an “advisory committee” to KF and KF alone. It wasn’t intended to solve Diversity, Equity or Inclusion issues with the Iowa Football program.The Athletic Department along with the wider University have that in place. Now if KF unilaterally was able to get that “disbanded” then there is a story.

Don't bother, it's pure garbage. The author outright admits to conjuring stories about "what he thinks really happened" multiple times in the article. Nobody in their right mind will take it seriously.
Yeah this was a total hit job, plain and simple. Trying to resurrect a story that had already been shown to be incomplete at best.

As if. Shocking right? like most of these hacks are ever interesting in ever getting both sides to a story.
I'll repost something I've shared before.

I came across a piece written by a retiring journalism professor 10 years ago or so. (Mizzou, I believe). Every year the J school took a survey of incoming Journalism majors. One question was "Why did you choose this track or profession?".

He said in the 70s, 80s and even early 90s the most common answers were things like "to get to the truth", "people have a right to be informed", "to uncover and report the facts". Somewhere in the mid 90s the answers began to shift to things like "to make a difference", "to create change", "to fight <fill-in-the-blank>", etc.

There you have it. In short...a shift from objectivity to subjectivity...a shift from broad perspective to personal agenda....so much for professional standards and integrity. It's painfully obvious in today's media. It's the tip of the iceberg, or perhaps the "poster child" for the corruption of higher education.

Last edited:
I'll repost something I've shared before.

I came across a piece written by a retiring journalism professor 10 years ago or so. (Mizzou, I believe). Every year the J school took a survey of incoming Journalism majors. One question was "Why did you choose this track or profession?".

He said in the 70s, 80s and even early 90s the most common answers were things like "to get to the truth", "people have a right to be informed", "to uncover and report the facts". Somewhere in the mid 90s the answers began to shift to things like "to make a difference", "to create change", "to fight <fill-in-the-blank>", etc.

There you have it. In short...a shift from objectivity to subjectivity...a shift from broad perspective to personal agenda....so much for professional standards and integrity. It's painfully obvious in today's media. Tip of the iceberg, or perhaps the "poster child" for the corruption of integrity in higher education.
And that is exactly what we are getting and seeing.

In the Carson King saga, the Register was not trying to cancel him. Intent matters. The Register story in question was over 1,500 words celebrating King and mentioned the tweets he had sent years earlier near the end of it. The Register also contacted King about the tweets directly so he could respond and he said he'd grown up and that's not who he is at heart and today. If there had been a concerted effort by the Register to cancel that guy, they would have promoted the tweets in the story lead, headlines, social media language, etc., and never given the guy a chance to defend himself. They did none of that. Now, should the Register have bothered to mention the tweets at all? No, probably not. And in the end, the Register fired its reporter for his own sketchy social media comments. There were real consequences.

The King story and what the Register did is nothing like the Gazette and its committee story. The Gazette clearly rushed the piece so they could break news, got things wrong, arguably had an agenda/goal in mind, and now everyone over there is doubling down at every turn instead of accepting at least a sliver of culpability. As I said — intent matters.
**** you.

• Haha
Reactions: IOnlyWantAnal
I mean, I could give other examples from the Okoboji area (NW Iowa has been mentioned already by someone else) or SW Iowa where my redneck, racist cousins live. Or even from small town NE Iowa. I saw a kid from a small town get murdered back in 2006 in Cedar Falls because his friends started using the N word at a house party.

But hey, thank you for making assumptions and calling me a prick.
Sounds like you are the problem.

The new article is the same as the other one.

Neither reporter is bright enough to grasp that the committee Porter was chairing was an “advisory committee” to KF and KF alone. It wasn’t intended to solve Diversity, Equity or Inclusion issues with the Iowa Football program.The Athletic Department along with the wider University have that in place. Now if KF unilaterally was able to get that “disbanded” then there is a story.

Yeah this was a total hit job, plain and simple. Trying to resurrect a story that had already been shown to be incomplete at best.

Hasn't this guy been on the offensive vs Iowa since last fall?
Article

Arland Bruce the FOURTH for the win.

SE Iowa for sure. I dated a chick a couple years ago from far SE Iowa. Spent a lot of time down there during the summer of 2020 and I have NEVER heard the N word casually used by so many people in my life.

You get outside of the bigger cities in Iowa, and there is plenty of racism to go around.
Go to the South (AL, GA, NC, SC, MS, AR) and you will hear the N word used in everyday casual conversation. There is racism in every state, it starts and stopz at home.

Porter made the mistake of “talking for the group” when obviously he doesn’t have the support, Lomix shouldn’t make the same mistake.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
ESPN is not, and has never, been a friend of Iowa athletics. Journalists and on-air commentators on their payroll have made countless subtle snide remarks about Iowa football and basketball for decades. Before last year they have basically said the Iowa brand is inferior without actually saying the Iowa brand is inferior. Now with woke/cancel culture in full force they’ve officially upgraded their weaponry and not simply saying Iowa athletics is inferior, it’s just bad. They want anyone that normally has no rooting interest to now actively root against Iowa, and they want Iowa fans to feel shame and to turn against the KF regime. Never mind that they didn’t get all the facts. If anything they’re doubling down and will keep pushing their agenda.

ADVERTISEMENT