ADVERTISEMENT

Alumni Committee Dissolved

I don’t live in Iowa anymore and don’t have a dog in the fight. Iowa grad a long time ago. My point is I’m not telling my kids where they can’t go to school. If one of my boys wanted to be an engineer and go to ISU I’d certainly support him.
That was me with my daughter. I support my kids. Now she's making great money in KC.

Last edited:
Bill Fennelly is still the coach at ISU and when allegations came out about him he didn't form a committee to change things, he said he wasn't going to change anything about the way he does things. Calling black players "thugs" is perfectly fine with him. This seems to have been forgotten. Weird that no papers have brought this up when the black lives matter movement started happening.

Bill Fennelly is still the coach at ISU and when allegations came out about him he didn't form a committee to change things, he said he wasn't going to change anything about the way he does things. Calling black players "thugs" is perfectly fine with him. This seems to have been forgotten. Weird that no papers have brought this up when the black lives matter movement started happening.
Mike Wilbon called Grayson Allen a thug on PTI the other day. I have not seen anything about that as well.

For some odd reason clown fans completely forget about BF while they are up on their high horse saying they would never support a coach being accused of being a “racist”.

BF was dismissed from the lawsuit which is completely different than KF also being dismissed from a lawsuit because clown fans say so.

Thank god we have clown fans around to tell us what does and doesn’t count. How would we ever get by without them?

• Haha
Reactions: IntoObeseWomenAlot
You have to wonder how miserable his life must be.
I know. I mean to spend that much time and then only post emoji’s because you know you can’t actually hold an argument on this site says a lot about the isu fan base.

Funny how all the self righteous clown fans on cryclown fanatic don’t have the balls to come over here and post the BS they do about KF. Would love to see how they react when asked about their “racist” and homophobe women’s basketball coach. I am sure in their pea sized brains the situations are completely different. Yep one coach was dismissed from a lawsuit proves he is gods gift while another coach also dismissed from a lawsuit is still a “racist”. Why because they say so.

“Men in general are quick to believe that which they wish to be true.”

- Julius Caesar

I don’t care for your posting style or your outlook on Iowa football. I also readily admit I closed mindedly assume, it’s a microcosm of how you look at life. With that said this is about as true and brilliant a statement as ever was made. The reality is we see what we want to see it doesn’t matter what side of the aisle you’re on….

If you don’t like the coach and you want him out you’re automatically going to agree with something scintillating and outlandish… If you like him and want him to stay you’re going to believe the opposite…only the people that look at things and go hang on here there’s a whole Lotta bullshit going on on both sides…those are the only people you can trust.

middle of the road, reasonable people want to flesh through all the silliness and really look it over… I will say this; a team that is under the microscope, a head coach thats under the microscope yet has had a lot of support from current and former black players…

A guy that has a attorney, probably multiple of them, a guy that has an incredible agent!

Yeah it would be extremely shocking to me that this man didn’t vet everything before he made this decision… If you want to talk about “typical” Kirk Ferentz then that is typical Kirk Ferentz right there. So yes I’m struggling really finding tons of smoke here at least the way it’s been whipped up into a frenzy.

I believe those in the thread that are desperate to get rid of their head coach would perpetuate just about anything at this point in time.

Yep, exactly. There's just a different attitude surrounding the schools. My daughter (no pics) chose ISU for engineering. She noticed right away that there's just a different overarching mentality there. It's prevalent in the sports fans, but it's really a campus wide thing.
As is often the case with clones....the douche adding the emojis to all these posts is completely unaware that he's providing a shining example of exactly what we're referring to.

Some things never change.

5:30am Clown fan had ID #17 banned so onto #18. Good thing isu fans aren’t obsessed with big bro Iowa.

Howe is not making any friends in the football program.

I agree with the above.

That written, I'm old enough to remember when Iowa football wasn't winning as frequently that there were plenty of posters on this board claiming that the Iowa beat writers didn't ask tough questions, sucked up to the coaches and were nothing more than mouthpieces for what the athletic department wants them to say/write.

Howe's job isn't to make friends with the football program. Three facts: (1) the Iowa football program was the subject of many allegations by former football players on social media; (2) there is a pending lawsuit in federal court targeting the Iowa football program; and (3) the CR Gazette recently reported on the disbanding of an advisory committee and quoted one of the members of the committee. Like it or not . . . there are "newsworthy" issues surrounding the program right now. We may not like it. We may not agree with it. We may wish it would "go away."

I don't find it particularly unfair of Howe, Harty, or any other reporter asking questions about these issues that have newly arisen. It's not as if Ferentz held some type of press conference after the CR Gazette's reporting.

Now . . . you certainly can take issue with whether there is even-handed coverage or whether Howe jumped to conclusions. I get that and I don't necessarily disagree. But I've got no beef with any reporter who wants to ask tough questions. That's their job.

I agree with the above.

That written, I'm old enough to remember when Iowa football wasn't winning as frequently that there were plenty of posters on this board claiming that the Iowa beat writers didn't ask tough questions, sucked up to the coaches and were nothing more than mouthpieces for what the athletic department wants them to say/write.

Howe's job isn't to make friends with the football program. Three facts: (1) the Iowa football program was the subject of many allegations by former football players on social media; (2) there is a pending lawsuit in federal court targeting the Iowa football program; and (3) the CR Gazette recently reported on the disbanding of an advisory committee and quoted one of the members of the committee. Like it or not . . . there are "newsworthy" issues surrounding the program right now. We may not like it. We may not agree with it. We may wish it would "go away."

I don't find it particularly unfair of Howe, Harty, or any other reporter asking questions about these issues that have newly arisen. It's not as if Ferentz held some type of press conference after the CR Gazette's reporting.

Now . . . you certainly can take issue with whether there is even-handed coverage or whether Howe jumped to conclusions. I get that and I don't necessarily disagree. But I've got no beef with any reporter who wants to ask tough questions. That's their job.
That is my problem with Howe mostly though is that it isn't that his questions are tough, is that they are dumb. It isn't tough to ask him to comment on what Porter said. He has already done that and you know what you are going to get and then he basically just kept asking the same question. That isn't tough. They are more tabloid type stuff trying to pit one person against another to create drama. Then he goes on to twitter and says I don't want to get involved in any of the drama. lol
There are plenty of tough questions to ask that he didn't. If you ever listen to his podcast with Dochterman, Howe is pretty painful to listen to. He mostly just repeats the same thoughts over and over again. I listen for Dochterman but have to fast forward a lot of times through Howe.

I don't think anyone has issues with covering this stuff, nor is anyone looking to sweep anything under the rug. The issue I have, and I get the sense that it matches with the overwhelming majority, is the one-sided reporting. When you cover news and go out of your way to report only the portions of information that look bad (or even worse, take a non-issue and make it look like an issue), that's disingenuous at best and may even be an under-handed attempt to undermine the program and damage it's reputation. The gazette massively over-emphasized the disbanding and ignored the aspect of the original email that options for a replacement would be explored. They also used inflammatory words like "abruptly" etc to further sensationalize the story. They made no attempt to get any other perspective on the story. They got a juicy soudbite and ran with it. Then, they put it on the front page and gave it almost half a page more.

Howe was quick to jump on this and was even worse the first few go-rounds. Sorry, that's some really, really, really bad reporting that reeks of bias and is very tabloid-esque.

I agree with the above.

100% agree. Any objection I have is not related to asking about the disbanding of the committee. Or the performance of the offense and whether his son as OC is an issue. Or any of that. Howe goes off into weird areas with his follow-up questions in a very leading manner.

It's the part of beat reporting that can be difficult. If you are a credentialed media member, losing access to the program is death-knell for your career. Some consumers/fans want the media to be extensions of the PR department. Just seems like Howe and Harty, and the Gazette failed to provide context on the disbanding of the committee. That is needed with this subject.

I don't think anyone has issues with covering this stuff, nor is anyone looking to sweep anything under the rug. The issue I have, and I get the sense that it matches with the overwhelming majority, is the one-sided reporting. When you cover news and go out of your way to report only the portions of information that look bad (or even worse, take a non-issue and make it look like an issue), that's disingenuous at best and may even be an under-handed attempt to undermine the program and damage it's reputation. The gazette massively over-emphasized the disbanding and ignored the aspect of the original email that options for a replacement would be explored. They also used inflammatory words like "abruptly" etc to further sensationalize the story. They made no attempt to get any other perspective on the story. They got a juicy soudbite and ran with it. Then, they put it on the front page and gave it almost half a page more.

Howe was quick to jump on this and was even worse the first few go-rounds. Sorry, that's some really, really, really bad reporting that reeks of bias and is very tabloid-esque.

Let me play Devil’s Advocate.
I’m not aware of a single committee member that has been willing to go “on the record” or be interviewed. All I’ve seen are some Tweets. I believe Leistikow reported that one committee member who didn’t want to be identied said his understanding was similar to what Ferentz articulated in the letter to the parents and that he wasn’t surprised by the disbanding of the old advisory committee.
The Gazette and others asked Ferentz for an interview. He declined. He refused to answer questions in writing. Instead, his PR rep sent the email to the Gazette.
Call me crazy but it seems to me that the football program was blindsided by this, didn’t anticipate the potential negative feedback and it took more than 24-36 hours for them to get the story they wanted out to the public.
I’m a Hawkeye through and through and support Ferentz and his staff but, man, I’m stunned that they didn’t see this coming. At risk of being overly negative, it would appear to be one of Kirk’s admitted “blind spots.”
If any reporter was on his or her toes yesterday, the natural follow up question would have been “Coach, can you identify who on the committee might be willing to speak with us because, this far, our efforts have been unsuccessful and it hasn’t been for a lack of trying.”

I’m not aware of a single committee member that has been willing to go “on the record” or be interviewed. All I’ve seen are some Tweets. I believe Leistikow reported that one committee member who didn’t want to be identied said his understanding was similar to what Ferentz articulated in the letter to the parents and that he wasn’t surprised by the disbanding of the old advisory committee.
The Gazette and others asked Ferentz for an interview. He declined. He refused to answer questions in writing. Instead, his PR rep sent the email to the Gazette.
Call me crazy but it seems to me that the football program was blindsided by this, didn’t anticipate the potential negative feedback and it took more than 24-36 hours for them to get the story they wanted out to the public.
I’m a Hawkeye through and through and support Ferentz and his staff but, man, I’m stunned that they didn’t see this coming. At risk of being overly negative, it would appear to be one of Kirk’s admitted “blind spots.”
If any reporter was on his or her toes yesterday, the natural follow up question would have been “Coach, can you identify who on the committee might be willing to speak with us because, this far, our efforts have been unsuccessful and it hasn’t been for a lack of trying.”
That doesn't seem like a very good question. I'll answer for Kirk. "I can't tell you which committee members will want to go on the record and talk. That is up to them." Pointless.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
Totally agree. I find it odd that Lomax was the only one who said anything. Besides that nobody. Crickets from everywhere and everyone. I know some of you guys don’t feel Kirk owes us any kind of explanation, which is fine. However, with all the bad publicity we received before he put this committee together we just handled this poorly. It looks like the current group of players seem very tight and happy at Iowa and it doesn’t seem to have hurt recruiting but it certainly could and should have been handled better. JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT