ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only one pumped about Iowa State being

Having 2 P5s in a Small flyover State like Iowa makes it tough, Iowa has done incredible with all the natural disadvantages and frankly for Iowa to maintain in the coming Super Conferences the best outcome would be ISU losing P5 status , Iowa should absolutely quit playing Them and propping Them up . The Politicians need to stay out of it and Barta needs to grow the stones to tell Them to pound sand.

If you are a Iowa high school kid do you want to play games at Ohio State, Michigan, USC, UCLA and PSU that are watched by millions of people on TV or at UCF, Cincy and Houston?

I think it is really going to help Iowa over ISU with in state recruiting, not that Iowa needed the help.

ISU will be fine. There are plenty of schools with more to lose than them. Their history is ass, you could argue they are going to come out of this much better than their historic average. They peaked at the right time.

A second tier team in a third tier conference? Would bet recruiting battles all go to us over them from now on.
I'm definitely mildly amused ... they're definitely going to be caught with their dick in their hand.

With a good coach like Campbell ... they can aspire to Cincinnati. That still means that even if they have a best-case scenario season ... they're still going to be in the precarious position of being on the outside looking in.

In contrast, if you're in a conference with sway (like the B1G) ... if you take care of your own business ... then your path is pretty set (in a positive way).

• Haha
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I beleive the respective announcements were as follows:

B10 expansion to USC & UCLA scheduled to happen in 2024
SEC expansion with OK & TX is scheduled to occur in 2025.

Any chance that - with the assistance of the SEC - OK and TX now decide to ditch the Big12 earlier?

Those ‘other schools’ will be fine… they just will not be able to keep up the arms race with the Power 2.
So they will have to adjust and be “ok” with being smaller market teams. The ISU’s, Baylors, Arizona’s will have to be ok with going from a power conference school to essentially what Boise State and Cincinnati have always been.
The only big difference will be football, which means a ton of money lost, but they will survive.
Let’s be honest, there’s only about 10-15 schools that have a legitimate shot at the playoffs every year and none of those schools left out, are in that group, whether they are in a “power conference” or not….

Now, the hard (or funny) part is convincing Iowa State fans that this is going to be a reality, because they don’t seem to see the writing on the wall.

The politicians will never allow Iowa or Iowa St. to drop the rivalry game. I have been in "the room" when that was discussed. The General Assembly would immediately pass a law that requires the home and home annual series. That threat was originally the motivation and Gov Ray would have signed that bill. Vilsack is the only governor since 1964 that might not have signed that bill. Chester, Terry (who would have GOPns ready to sponsor-huge Iowa fan) and Kimmy for sure. We know Bob Ray would have signed it.

Maybe things have changed since my days of getting into rooms like that but all politics is local. That issue would be close to the hearts of probably half of the adult population of Iowa. That's where those interested in a future political career, a truly bi-partisan veto proof majority.

A 14 game regular season might be a better alternative. Since the players are now professionals they might be asked to do a little more.

Last edited:
The politicians will never allow Iowa or Iowa St. to drop the rivalry game. I have been in "the room" when that was discussed. The General Assembly would immediately pass a law that requires the home and home annual series. That threat was originally the motivation and Gov Ray would have signed that bill. Vilsack is the only governor since 1964 that might not have signed that bill. Chester, Terry (who would have GOPns ready to sponsor-huge Iowa fan) and Kimmy for sure. We know Bob Ray would have signed it.

Maybe things have changed since my days of getting into rooms like that but all politics is local. That issue would be close to the hearts of probably half of the adult population of Iowa would be emotionally committed to the issue. That's where those interested in a future political career, a truly bi-partisan veto proof majority.

A 14 game regular season might be a better alternative. Since the players are now professionals they might be asked to do a little more.
This isn’t 1976. Nobody can fart enough in “the room” to stop the $$$

Soon our revenue will be over $100m and theirs will be $50m. So we can fund our AD the same as them and then have $50m leftover to pay the players. I’m sure schools like Texas A&M and OSU are already planning on it and who is going to stop them?

So any player in the lower conferences that has a promising Sophomore or Junior season is going to get inundated with recruiting pitches to come make millions in the SEC/BigTen. Honestly some players could make more their senior season than they will their rookie year of the NFL.

And then the two super leagues will decide to crown their own national champion. Last year they had to give a spot to Cincinnati and share money with them when no one really thought they were a threat to emerge as the champion. The leftover leagues can crown their own champion like the NIT does for teams that don’t make the real tourney.

And for the record I’m not convinced any of this is certain to be better for Iowa. Like yes, we should definitely end up with a better team than ISU every year. But I’m not sure it will be an upgrade over the setup we had before where we were competing in the BigTen West with an outside shot at the playoff or the Rose Bowl, etc during special years.

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Maybe things have changed since my days of getting into rooms like that but all politics is local. That issue would be close to the hearts of probably half of the adult population of Iowa would be emotionally committed to the issue. That's where those interested in a future political career, a truly bi-partisan veto proof majority.

I agree this is a risk but seems to be less so than ever before. Like UCLA just broke away from UC-Berkeley and they are part of the same system. I just saw on twitter that politicians in Oregon and Washington are making noise that they don’t want WSU and OSU left behind if the other state schools get accepted to the BigTen but at some point there is no choice but to allow it. A few years ago everyone though the same about Oklahoma St and look how that turned out.

Reactions: rchawk
I hate Iowa State as much as the next guy.

That being said, I am far from feeling excited about the prospect of having a group of Super Conference teams and then tier 2 teams.

With the transfer portal and seemingly auto-granted instant eligibility combined with NIL and these conference moves we’re going to see a three tier system.

The classic group of 5 schools
The former power 5 schools
The new power 2 schools

This basically creates a minor league system where players move up levels when they prove themselves. ISU, along with their northern compatriots, becomes a feeder program for their best kids to transfer into the Big Ten in that model. Same goes for the southern leftovers into the SEC.

Probably long past due to just leave the scheduling of football games to the athletic directors not politicians.

Yall are obsessed with ISu
Actually not, If Iowa wasn't playing them I wouldn't ever spend a minute thinking about ISU but the fact remains it is a lose lose, Win and You were supposed to, lose and it is a bad loss that drops Iowa from anything meaningful and most Years hurts the SOS win or lose . They dont draw Eyes outside of the State and on the recruiting trail are like that creep at a House party waiting for drunk Chicks to lose all reason so He can finally get lucky and take selfies

Soon our revenue will be over $100m and theirs will be $50m. So we can fund our AD the same as them and then have $50m leftover to pay the players. I’m sure schools like Texas A&M and OSU are already planning on it and who is going to stop them?

So any player in the lower conferences that has a promising Sophomore or Junior season is going to get inundated with recruiting pitches to come make millions in the SEC/BigTen. Honestly some players could make more their senior season than they will their rookie year of the NFL.

And then the two super leagues will decide to crown their own national champion. Last year they had to give a spot to Cincinnati and share money with them when no one really thought they were a threat to emerge as the champion. The leftover leagues can crown their own champion like the NIT does for teams that don’t make the real tourney.

And for the record I’m not convinced any of this is certain to be better for Iowa. Like yes, we should definitely end up with a better team than ISU every year. But I’m not sure it will be an upgrade over the setup we had before where we were competing in the BigTen West with an outside shot at the playoff or the Rose Bowl, etc during special years.
Mountain Hawk, you're onto something. Iowa State to the Left Over League (LOL)!

• Haha
Reactions: Ree4
It will be more difficult to get to a 10 win season. A few cupcakes always helps the record.

If you are a Iowa high school kid do you want to play games at Ohio State, Michigan, USC, UCLA and PSU that are watched by millions of people on TV or at UCF, Cincy and Houston?

I think it is really going to help Iowa over ISU with in state recruiting, not that Iowa needed the help.
How many of our players have played at mi and OSU? ;)

School money doesn't pay players

It will be more difficult to get to a 10 win season. A few cupcakes always helps the record.
Yeah, it’s going to be like the NFL where even good teams take losses and there are much fewer gimme games. I actually think fans will be relatively OK with it even when our record isn’t as good. I feel like most of our really severe meltdowns come from losing games we think we should have won.

School money doesn't pay players
I knew someone would say this and it’s obviously true today but an easy workaround is to have all donors quit giving to the school and instead give to NIL. But it seems like a near-certainty that the schools will eventually pay the players. Like I said, I guarantee some schools want to do this already and who is going to stop them?

Yeah, it’s going to be like the NFL where even good teams take losses and there are much fewer gimme games. I actually think fans will be relatively OK with it even when our record isn’t as good. I feel like most of our really severe meltdowns come from losing games we th
Being like the NFL isn't good for small population teams
I knew someone would say this and it’s obviously true today but an easy workaround is to have all donors quit giving to the school and instead give to NIL. But it seems like a near-certainty that the schools will eventually pay the players. Like I said, I guarantee some schools want to do this already and who is going to stop them?
Except tv money and school money goes to all athletes and students not just football and bball. We have zero idea how the money can or will be used.

Who can decide that...politicians??

Being like the NFL isn't good for small population teams

Except tv money and school money goes to all athletes and students not just football and bball. We have zero idea how the money can or will be used.

Who can decide that...politicians??
That usually works out well

ISU will be fine. There are plenty of schools with more to lose than them. Their history is ass, you could argue they are going to come out of this much better than their historic average. They peaked at the right time.
They won't be fine. This will actually be considerably damaging to them. There will be 2 super leagues and ISU won't be a part of them. That alone will have a devastating impact on recruiting for Ames. It will eventually be seen as a lower tier of College football. Matt Campbell won't stick around to be in the B league. In the future ISU doesn't stand a chance at any in-state recruit with Iowa. Unless the kid is incredibly stupid and dodges significant NIL money. It will be bad...just sit back and watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT