ADVERTISEMENT

Am I the only one....

I didn't get every game on TV until I was in HS. Yes, it was great, but what we have now is far better than what I had growing up.

And yes, having to stream 4 or 5 games each year is worth the $45-50 mil payout they'll receive from the BTN each year.

Reactions: UIHawkGrad
I didn't get every game on TV until I was in HS. Yes, it was great, but what we have now is far better than what I had growing up.

And yes, having to stream 4 or 5 games each year is worth the $45-50 mil payout they'll receive from the BTN each year.

Agreed. And those fans who love the Hawks but don't live in-state anymore. In the old setup of the 1980s if you lived outside the state you would be able to see a few games per year that were on ESPN or national over the air broadcast. Now Hawk fans anywhere in the country can see every game pretty easily.

EDIT: Darn, meant to say "love the Hawks" not "don't love the Hawks. "

Last edited:

Why is it far better not knowing where to find them if they are on TV, AND paying to watch those that aren't on TV? Every game was on channel 7 unless the odd ESPN or CBS Saturday game. And they were on Thursdays at 7 and Saturdays at 1 only, maybe a rare Sunday game

Why is it far better not knowing where to find them if they are on TV, AND paying to watch those that aren't on TV? Every game was on channel 7 unless the odd ESPN or CBS Saturday game. And they were on Thursdays at 7 and Saturdays at 1 only, maybe a rare Sunday game

IF you live in Iowa the old system was great. I am native Hawk fan who has lived out of state past 35 years so BYN has been a Godsend as never had ability to watch every game

I do t pay for bTN+ as I don’t mind missing early games against POdunk U

Reactions: wdhawk and SSG T

What is this 'streaming' of which you speak?

IF you live in Iowa the old system was great. I am native Hawk fan who has lived out of state past 35 years so BYN has been a Godsend as never had ability to watch every game

I do t pay for bTN+ as I don’t mind missing early games against POdunk U
Ah, good point. It was always a local affiliate that picked up the early games. Never thought about that.

Because I could watch maybe 2-3 games per year (Maybe) on TV. I didn't grow up in Iowa, I was relegated to sitting in my dad's car at night and listening to Zabel on 1040 (the reception in the houses sucked). My dad would have paid $100 per month in 1970's $$$ to watch every Iowa game back then. What we have now is FAR better than that. If I were in the same situation now, I could watch every single game. So can you.

And as I said, the $45-50 mil from BTN is worth having to drop an extra $20 per year to stream a few games against crap competition. BTN+ or the Cayman deal isn't bad. Now it isn't as good as the old Iowa TV network (or whatever it was called) from an access perspective, but you still get the games and they are still, visually, better than the old non-HD over the airways signal.

Reactions: wdhawk
What is this 'streaming' of which you speak?

BTN+, ESPN+, the Cayman streaming deal Tom has talked about. I streamed both BTN+ games via my tablet and used Chromecast to watch on my TV. It wasn't any different than if it was on BTN or ESPN or CBS. And it cost $5 per game. For two games.

It's the same technique I used to watch our HS football games via the Cube. I watched all six road games despite them being an average of 120 miles away.

BTN+, ESPN+, the Cayman streaming deal Tom has talked about. I streamed both BTN+ games via my tablet and used Chromecast to watch on my TV. It wasn't any different than if it was on BTN or ESPN or CBS. And it cost $5 per game. For two games.

It's the same technique I used to watch our HS football games via the Cube. I watched all six road games despite them being an average of 120 miles away.

thats all well and good, but... all that is extra stuff which must be purchased. i miss the days when i only had to turn on the tube, not sign-in, hook up or stream anything. and it was free!

for the record, i do not do any of the cube, the chromecast, or whatever other gizmo is required to access the games. i just listen on the AM radio and am fine with it.

Reactions: anon_gjzkhykcp9iuj
I'm OK with the trade off.
Sure, it was nice in the old days when your local affiliate had all the games. That was only good, though, if you lived in state or close enough on the border to get the signal.
Now you have to pay, but you can watch a game from anywhere in the world.
It's worth it.

Buy a new TV or get a Roku device. Stream all the games on your big screen if they're not on TV.

The thing that makes me SICK about the lame coverage, today, is the
elder Hawkeye fans, who have been watching since before most of
HROT posters were born. They like watching Hawkeye hoops too.

Are they suppose to get streaming in the Assisted Care facility ???

GO HAWKS :)

I miss the games starting at a reasonable hour so kids can watch. That's probably my biggest complaint. I can do the streaming thing, but I can't keep my kids up for a game that doesn't start until bedtime or after.

I'm on eastern time, which doesn't help. How am I supposed to brainwash my kids into being Iowa fans if they can't watch with me?

Sure, they don't know the difference between a DVR'd game and a live one... but I do.

I agree with you 100%, but keep in mind there were times in the early to mid 90’s (maybe 1994) when Iowa vs Duke in the Great Alaskan Shootout wasn’t aired at all. That was back when there were only two real preseason tournaments.

As much as the pre B1G tv schedule sucks, at least there is a way to see these games.

who misses the days when you could watch every Iowa basketball game on TV?

i feel bad for my 80 year old parents; my dad expects to flip thru the channels and find the Iowa games.

My mom is ok with technology, but all they have is a PC and its far from the main TV in the living room and I don't think they are going to want to watch the games from a PC

Reactions: Muskie5
I agree with you 100%, but keep in mind there were times in the early to mid 90’s (maybe 1994) when Iowa vs Duke in the Great Alaskan Shootout wasn’t aired at all. That was back when there were only two real preseason tournaments.

As much as the pre B1G tv schedule sucks, at least there is a way to see these games.

I guess I could be wrong on that, Iowa vs Duke was the 1995 championship game. I can’t imagine that not being on ESPN or ESPN2. I know ESPN2 was really new around then.

I just remember having to listen to this game on radio, because we didn’t get it on TV.

First, where do I sing up to get my $45-50 Mil check?

Second, wholly disagree. Lived in Iowa all but 2 of my 45 years. I remember getting nearly every game, on regular TV, for free. One here and there not on TV, sure. But I also didn't have to pay every month for a channel, the BTN, that is mostly worthless, other than a couple Hawkeye games here and there. They also have the vaunted overflow channels, which are never used, essentially a fake promise from the get go. And now they want us to fork out more money to stream games that are low quality in stream, production, talent, and commentary. Wholly amateur. (I've forked out the dough every year, reluctantly, until now. I am done.)

I understand that folks outside the state now get games they didn't previously, which is awesome,but the main portion of the fanbase is here in Iowa. They shouldn't have to jump through hoops to watch games, or pay for them. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the cost is mostly negligible. It is the principle though.

Additionally, I used to know when every single game was on, and on what channel, without even attempting to know. They were advertised on TV, making it nice and easy. If I forgot a game, a commercial reminded me that it was on at 7 PM on such and such a channel, same bat place, same bat time.

The fanbase IS dwindling, no matter what you say. Out of sight, out of mind. Making it even worse.....ISU's is growing, while the Hawkeye base is shrinking. Unacceptable, yet wholly predictable. And noboby to blame but the B10 itself. Of course they don't care, all they care about is money and their flagship programs. BS.

Reactions: iahawks10
If you don't know how to watch the streamed games, have your grand kids help you. Christmas is coming up, ask for a roku. They are super simple to use but still have the grand kids set it up for you and show you how to use it. Bingo, you no longer have to watch the games on your computer.

thats all well and good, but... all that is extra stuff which must be purchased. i miss the days when i only had to turn on the tube, not sign-in, hook up or stream anything. and it was free!

for the record, i do not do any of the cube, the chromecast, or whatever other gizmo is required to access the games. i just listen on the AM radio and am fine with it.
Sorry - what is AM radio - please explain! :eek:

Reactions: mrdr89
I miss the The old Mac McCausland "Chips and Salsa" days...
get a BTN subscription - you can hear him say it over and over and over and over............................and over............................. sideline reporting is excellent as well on BTN pre-season games

Second, wholly disagree. Lived in Iowa all but 2 of my 45 years. I remember getting nearly every game, on regular TV, for free. One here and there not on TV, sure. But I also didn't have to pay every month for a channel, the BTN, that is mostly worthless, other than a couple Hawkeye games here and there. They also have the vaunted overflow channels, which are never used, essentially a fake promise from the get go. And now they want us to fork out more money to stream games that are low quality in stream, production, talent, and commentary. Wholly amateur. (I've forked out the dough every year, reluctantly, until now. I am done.)

I understand that folks outside the state now get games they didn't previously, which is awesome,but the main portion of the fanbase is here in Iowa. They shouldn't have to jump through hoops to watch games, or pay for them. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the cost is mostly negligible. It is the principle though.

Additionally, I used to know when every single game was on, and on what channel, without even attempting to know. They were advertised on TV, making it nice and easy. If I forgot a game, a commercial reminded me that it was on at 7 PM on such and such a channel, same bat place, same bat time.

The fanbase IS dwindling, no matter what you say. Out of sight, out of mind. Making it even worse.....ISU's is growing, while the Hawkeye base is shrinking. Unacceptable, yet wholly predictable. And noboby to blame but the B10 itself. Of course they don't care, all they care about is money and their flagship programs. BS.

This is pretty spot on.

The BTN is ranking in millions of dollars for each university, but still needs to double dip it’s basketball fans just to watch games??? Strange.

The casual fan is dwindling and overall interest is down. You can’t even pay students to go to the games anymore. There have been maybe 100 students (in the student section) at both games so far this year. There used to be more than that who waited in line just to get Hawks Nest tickets.

Reactions: HawkweyeinSATX

Yes, YOU lived in Iowa. I, and a lot of other Hawk fans, didn't. I didn't get to see any game not on national TV. So this is about YOU wanting something for free. Guess what? If every Iowa basketball and football game was still available on free TV, Iowa wouldn' be getting the huge payout from BTN. If you don't mind them being competitive in any sport, fine, let's go back to that. Because without that BTN money, they wouldn' be competitive in any (and the same goes for pretty much every B1G team).

The cost, to you, to watch via BTN is minimal. The additional cost, visit BTN+, ESPN+ or the Cayman Island deal is minimal. You can watch all of the non-televised games online for less than the cost of a single game ticket.

Don't complain about a minimal cost because you don't think the benefit to Iowa, monetarily, isn't worth you having to pay one ticket's worth of money to watch all of their games.

And it's not difficult to find out where to watch. Well, as long as you're not lazy.

Reactions: sob5 and UIHawkGrad
Yes, YOU lived in Iowa. I, and a lot of other Hawk fans, didn't. I didn't get to see any game not on national TV. So this is about YOU wanting something for free. Guess what? If every Iowa basketball and football game was still available on free TV, Iowa wouldn' be getting the huge payout from BTN. If you don't mind them being competitive in any sport, fine, let's go back to that. Because without that BTN money, they wouldn' be competitive in any (and the same goes for pretty much every B1G team).

The cost, to you, to watch via BTN is minimal. The additional cost, visit BTN+, ESPN+ or the Cayman Island deal is minimal. You can watch all of the non-televised games online for less than the cost of a single game ticket.

Don't complain about a minimal cost because you don't think the benefit to Iowa, monetarily, isn't worth you having to pay one ticket's worth of money to watch all of their games.

And it's not difficult to find out where to watch. Well, as long as you're not lazy.

Iowa is more competitive now, than before the BTN?

Please add up all those Big Ten/National championships in basketball and football since the BTN’s inception. Let me know what you come up with.

Edit: since 2000

Before BTN:
2001 BTT basketball champs
2002 B1G football co champs (BCS)
2004 B1G football co champs
2006 BTT basketball champs

After BTN:
2009 - Orange Bowl win
2015 - Rose Bowl loss

Not seeing the evidence that Iowa is more competitive since BTN. I’d actually lean the other direction.

Last edited:
Sorry - what is AM radio - please explain! :eek:

WKRP.jpg

Reactions: Hendy hawk
I’m not seeing any evidence that the B1G as a whole, in all sports, is more competitive now than it was prior to the BTN:

Learfield Directors’ Cup
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NACDA_Directors'_Cup
I think what he is saying is Iowa wouldn't be as competitive compared to other schools and conferences around the country. All the improvements they've made to all the facilities is due thanks to the money rolling in from the B1G. Think practice facility and scoreboard. Without that cash Iowa wouldn't be able to keep up.

I guess I could be wrong on that, Iowa vs Duke was the 1995 championship game. I can’t imagine that not being on ESPN or ESPN2. I know ESPN2 was really new around then.

I just remember having to listen to this game on radio, because we didn’t get it on TV.

It was on ESPN2. Most cable companies in Iowa did not carry ESPN2 back in 1995

Reactions: iahawks10
I know they are trying to increase their coverage on the East Coast, but its sad Penn St and Rutgers have been on BTN more than Iowa

I think what he is saying is Iowa wouldn't be as competitive compared to other schools and conferences around the country. All the improvements they've made to all the facilities is due thanks to the money rolling in from the B1G. Think practice facility and scoreboard. Without that cash Iowa wouldn't be able to keep up.

I get what he’s saying. I fully understand it too. I just don’t agree with it, nor do I see a lot of evidence (results) to back it up.

CHA has been outdated for the past three head coaches. Sure they’ve updated the scoreboard and added a practice facility, but I wouldn’t rank CHA anywhere near the top when it comes to best facilities in the B1G. Basketball has pulled in some decent recruits, which I would give the credit to Fran’s relentlessness more than anything.

Kinnick has had renovations too, but again it ranks nowhere near the top of B1G stadiums. I’d say Kinnick ranks now where it did 15 years ago nationally in the 20-30 range. 4* recruits aren’t beating down the door to come play at Iowa so they can enjoy Kinnick’s amenities.

I can’t tell if you are dumb or lying.

I get what he’s saying. I fully understand it too. I just don’t agree with it, nor do I see a lot of evidence (results) to back it up.

CHA has been outdated for the past three head coaches. Sure they’ve updated the scoreboard and added a practice facility, but I wouldn’t rank CHA anywhere near the top when it comes to best facilities in the B1G. Basketball has pulled in some decent recruits, which I would give the credit to Fran’s relentlessness more than anything.

Kinnick has had renovations too, but again it ranks nowhere near the top of B1G stadiums. I’d say Kinnick ranks now where it did 15 years ago nationally in the 20-30 range. 4* recruits aren’t beating down the door to come play at Iowa so they can enjoy Kinnick’s amenities.
Just think where the facilities would rank without the renovations/improvements.
In the end, it's not going to change back. They aren't going to go back to just having the games on KGAN. Also, starting with the Va Tech game all games except 1 are on ESPN or BTN main channel.

So you are willing to pay for internet, sign in, open the browser and bitch about it? But it’s a hassle to sign in, open a browser, and watch the game?

And that’s the difficult method. I literally hit three buttons on my iPhone to stream the game on my tv.

Reactions: CJBauer
I know they are trying to increase their coverage on the East Coast, but its sad Penn St and Rutgers have been on BTN more than Iowa

Dude, it all evens out. We have BTN games later in the OOC when others are online. We choose to play a bunch of buy games to we are at the mercy of the BTN.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT