ADVERTISEMENT

Am I wrong in Thinking...

BlackNGoldBleeder

HR Legend
Jun 23, 2017
...this is the most complete Iowa team under Fran?

I don't believe it's the most talented, but all the pieces fit perfectly. So, with post scoring (Garza), guards who can penetrate and hit the 3 (CJ n Weizy), speed (Joe), toughness (Joe n Connor), and poise (Connor) out of the PG, and solid role players (Bakari, RK, and Pemsl) off the bench, I'm hard pressed to remember a Fran team this balanced.

If they stay healthy, methinks they'll be a tough out come March.

I agree that they are not the most talented of Fran’s teams, but if you factor in the intangibles (chemistry, toughness), then this may just be Fran’s best team.

I hope all the pieces fall into place for next year (Garza and Bohannon returning), and it should be an even better team than this one

I know Joe T has his freshman moments but sometimes wish Fran would give him a little more leash. It’s gotta be hard knowing if you dork something up the substitution horn will be blowing instantly.
He gets plenty of rope. He makes more mistakes than anyone else on the team this year but he has some "Wow!" moments that McC is trying to foster.

FYI, he started both halves last night.

This is what happens when you have a bonafide star on the team. Garza is not just "talented" or hard-working or smart or tough or clutch - he is all those things. He is the unquestioned leader on the floor - Garza knows it, the team knows it and the opponent knows it.

I think it makes the game slow down a bit for everyone else. They know Garza is going to be amazing, so they can relax a little and just play.

I agree that they are not the most talented of Fran’s teams, but if you factor in the intangibles (chemistry, toughness), then this may just be Fran’s best team.

I hope all the pieces fall into place for next year (Garza and Bohannon returning), and it should be an even better team than this one

Lots of things can happen between now and then.... I’m just going to enjoy this season and think about next year next year.

This is what happens when you have a bonafide star on the team. Garza is not just "talented" or hard-working or smart or tough or clutch - he is all those things. He is the unquestioned leader on the floor - Garza knows it, the team knows it and the opponent knows it.

I think it makes the game slow down a bit for everyone else. They know Garza is going to be amazing, so they can relax a little and just play.
I disagree. It's the team that is winning this year. Much more deferring to the hot hands than in the past. Garza is willing to pass the ball as well as win the one-on-ones and that is what makes Iowa a dangerous opponent.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba
I know Joe T has his freshman moments but sometimes wish Fran would give him a little more leash. It’s gotta be hard knowing if you dork something up the substitution horn will be blowing instantly.

Fran faces this every year. Every Fran team seems to have a talented new guy that shows flashes of good and bad, but needs playing time to develop. Last year it was CMac. Now it's Joe T.

Iowa doesn't get to "re-load" - they have to develop a team for this year and for future years. Fran has often been criticized about playing somebody too much or too little - it's a balancing act. The coach has to have one eye on the future.

When Garza, Joe W and CJ are in the game (or even Kriener), there are enough scorers on the floor. You don't need Joe to be a playmaker - just to get the ball to the other guys. That's tough to learn when you are used to being "the Guy".

It’s pretty simple with Joe T. Make good decisions and play under control and you stay in. Evelyn has had 12 assists and 1 turnover in the last 2 games, which is fantastic. Also, Joe was getting scorched, along with Luka, in the early pick and roll. Believe it was 11 or 12-4 when he came out. Joe’s a good on ball defender but clearly still has a lot to learn. Start him and see how he does. At this point I’m good with Fra on how he’s handling this.

I disagree. It's the team that is winning this year. Much more deferring to the hot hands than in the past. Garza is willing to pass the ball as well as win the one-on-ones and that is what makes Iowa a dangerous opponent.

Ok. I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with though. I'm just just saying the game gets a little easier when you have a superstar on the team. I'm not suggesting the rest of the team is just riding his coattails.

Am I wrong in thinking that if Iowa hadn’t been able to stop the bleeding at around the 5:00 min mark and gone on to lose last night then this thread would never had been started?

I kid, I kid ....but not really.

Totally agree. Garza is unlike any player Iowa has had for a long time, a legit superstar at this level. And that covers up for a lot of flaws within a team. Those solid Uthoff and White led teams would struggle because those guys would get passive at times. Weiskamp does once in a while too, but I haven’t seen a minute from Garza this year where he didn’t want the ball. When you can just dump the ball inside and get an easy basket it takes so much pressure off of the other guys. They don’t have to press as much, they can let Garza take all that pressure on. His attitude seems to be rubbing off on the rest of the guys too. CJ especially seems to want the ball in big moments too now.

Last edited:

I think this is a really good point. Garza's grit, toughness, and competitive edge is infectious. It's been a long time since Iowa had someone like a Garza to rally around.

Am I wrong in thinking that if Iowa hadn’t been able to stop the bleeding at around the 5:00 min mark and gone on to lose last night then this thread would never had been started?

I kid, I kid ....but not really.

Am I happier after a win? Gee, no shit.

Did you see the thread I started after the Nebraska loss? I think I'm reasonably level-headed.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I think you could be right[/QU is on to something

I don't believe it's the most talented, but all the pieces fit perfectly. So, with post scoring (Garza), guards who can penetrate and hit the 3 (CJ n Weizy), speed (Joe), toughness (Joe n Connor), and poise (Connor) out of the PG, and solid role players (Bakari, RK, and Pemsl) off the bench, I'm hard pressed to remember a Fran team this balanced.

Yup but next game please.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Am I happier after a win? Gee, no shit.

Did you see the thread I started after the Nebraska loss? I think I'm reasonably level-headed.
You mad bro? Sorry if I pissed in your coffee this morning. I’m just amused when we get nothing but rainbow and lollipop threads after a win, and the exact opposite after a loss.

McC has never had a more resilient team. Fo that matter, I can't remember an Iowa team with as much grit as this team except the Final 4 team in '80.
And the amazing part is that JBo may be the most resilient and tough minded. If everyone comes back, I agree with the OP that Iowa is set. No need for transfer help, IMO.

Reactions: anon_i8nzeu2gbf0ba

It is by far the most mentally tough team.

You mad bro? Sorry if I pissed in your coffee this morning. I’m just amused when we get nothing but rainbow and lollipop threads after a win, and the exact opposite after a loss.
I dunno....most years I'd say you are right but I've seen plenty of positive posts after losses this year. Will there be negative posts after a loss? Of course. But I think people understand the amazing amount of adversity this team is enduring and there is considerably less negativity this yr....just my observation

What makes this team so damn fun to watch (and ultimately still winning games) is they are so damn tough mentally.
This is just another area where Luka has become a leader. His effort, hard work, and toughness has rubbed off on this team. Not that JW, CJ, and Connor aren't tough SOB's in their own right, but how could anyone play with a bloody Garza night in and night out, and not leave it all on the floor. o_O

This is just another area where Luka has become a leader. His effort, hard work, and toughness has rubbed off on this team. Not that JW, CJ, and Connor aren't tough SOB's in their own right, but how could anyone play with a bloody Garza night in and night out, and not leave it all on the floor. o_O
Look no further than Kriener.

I think Garza’s play has really impacted his game and overall confidence.

A lot of the shorter rope, is because, Bakari has stepped up the last couple of weeks, and its been a HUGE lift for the Hawks. We are starting to see now why Fran was high on the senior transfer.......

Slightly OT - I remember Ralph Miller's 1969-70 Hawkeye team "JJ and the Dealers"/"Six Pack" of Johnson, Brown, Calabria, Vidnovic, Jensen, & McGilmer (right names?) and thinking we'll win, but how quickly will we get over 100 pts.? With these guys, you know mistakes will be made, but more and more these guys seem to know and embrace their roles; you think there will always be a chance they'll win. Gutsy, gritty group of guys.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Totally agree. Garza is unlike any player Iowa has had for a long time, a legit superstar at this level. And that covers up for a lot of flaws within a team. Those solid Uthoff and White led teams would struggle because those guys would get passive at times. Weiskamp does once in a while too, but I haven’t seen a minute from Garza this year where he didn’t want the ball. When you can just dump the ball inside and get an easy basket it takes so much pressure off of the other guys. They don’t have to press as much, they can let Garza take all that pressure on. His attitude seems to be rubbing off on the rest of the guys too. CJ especially seems to want the ball in big moments too now.
He is a superstar but he was no superstar when he got here. The staff has done a great job with him.

Mad about what?

MV5BMTc2NDkxOTE1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQ2MzkxMQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR132,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT