ADVERTISEMENT

Amani Hooker, Jake Gervase, Geno Stone

Has their been a better triumvirate of Safeties at Iowa?

Those guys are doing a heckuva job.

GO HAWKS !

Any list that contains Jake Gervase is flawed... Gervase needs the Miles Taylor treatment in the worst way......Hear me out.....Listen - I get it!

We all love Gervase the football player. Kid works his ass off, gives maximum effort and provides a valuable leadership presence. His gritty workmanlike approach endears him to fans and coaches alike.

Gervase the safety is an overachiever. His success comes from being a cerebral player - understands the complete defensive scheme. Film study and weekly game plan awareness covers or helps hide the limitations in his game. He doesn't have the superior athletic ability or instincts to overcome mistakes that others may possess . This manifests itself when Jake takes poor pursuit angles.

Gervase is what a Ferentz development type program manufactures. Can win a lot of games with players like Jake.

Reactions: BigDelHawk
Any list that contains Jake Gervase is flawed... Gervase needs the Miles Taylor treatment in the worst way......Hear me out.....Listen - I get it!

We all love Gervase the football player. Kid works his ass off, gives maximum effort and provides a valuable leadership presence. His gritty workmanlike approach endears him to fans and coaches alike.

Gervase the safety is an overachiever. His success comes from being a cerebral player - understands the complete defensive scheme. Film study and weekly game plan awareness covers or helps hide the limitations in his game. He doesn't have the superior athletic ability or instincts to overcome mistakes that others may possess . This manifests itself when Jake takes poor pursuit angles.

Gervase is what a Ferentz development type program manufactures. Can win a lot of games with players like Jake.
He reminds me a lot of a guy maned Brent Greenwood, so he can play on my team anyday.......

Reactions: Hawk_82

Sorry, but Gervase's play has been far more consistent than Taylor's. Gervase has been better versus the pass ... and he's just as good in run support (his run fills are much better than last year). The main knock on Gervase deals when he's caught in space against a play-maker ... but a playmaker can make a lot of guys look silly.

Gervase's weaknesses are simply more noticeable to the fan watching the game because his mistakes tend to be physical as opposed to mental. Gervase can look a little silly sometimes tackling in space because he is not a plus Big 10 athlete. That's not his strength. And that is obvious to fans. But, physically, he's pretty good in zone coverage, and pretty good at filling runs gaps in the box.

Mental mistakes are not as obvious, but can be just as bad, if not worse for the team. Blowing coverage is a sure way to lose football games, and we don't seem to be doing much of that. I'm sure Gervase deserves some credit for that.

Sorry, but Gervase's play has been far more consistent than Taylor's. Gervase has been better versus the pass ... and he's just as good in run support (his run fills are much better than last year). The main knock on Gervase deals when he's caught in space against a play-maker ... but a playmaker can make a lot of guys look silly.
I definitely agree with this. And unfortunately those "in space" plays are easy to identify and criticize.

I think Jake has made great strides this year which indicates great hard work from him but also credit to our coaching staff development

Merrick was really good in run support as a back-up in '03 ... so I really liked the group of Sanders, Considine, Merrick, and Paschal (both of the younger guys were FR though).

Obviously, the '02 group was dope too - Sanders, Pagel, and Considine.

I thought that the '09 group had potential ... Cato was a decent 3rd guy ... not really experienced though (he was a TR FR) ... however, Sash and Greenwood were like batman and robin.

But yeah, the '18 group is up there ... I really like the trio of Gervase, Hooker, and Stone.

I like Gervase and have never participated in bashing him. That said, I was disappointed when it was the Indiana QB vs him in space and the QB won.

I like Gervase and have never participated in bashing him. That said, I was disappointed when it was the Indiana QB vs him in space and the QB won.

He’s missed a lot of one on one in space where he comes up with nothing but air. Doesn’t even come close to making contact, terrible angles,

Gervase also hits very hard. Our defense is based on the infliction of physical pain and corresponding loss of self confidence for the opponent. Gervase plays because he inflicts pain.

He’s missed a lot of one on one in space where he comes up with nothing but air. Doesn’t even come close to making contact, terrible angles,
I don't know ... some of it seems more to me that he just doesn't possess the ability to change direction as well as some of the guys he's trying to tackle in space. Taking angles has more to do with catching up with a guy to make a tackle. When a guy is in space and is about to make a move ... it's almost like being a goalie ... you guess correctly, you make a great open-field tackle. ... you guess wrong, you've just made a bit of a fool of yourself by tackling air.

I sense that nobody other than maybe BigDelHawk got this joke.

Well done, Layoutman.

Reactions: hawkosx
Gervase takes some bad angles. But he hits like a truck
I think it's more that he breaks down too early sometimes and trusting his ability then it is angles. You have to know his responsibility on the play to know what angle he was supposed to take, or any DB for that matter. Is he the alley player or the force player, etc...? Those things matter. He definitely needs to trust his abilities more in the open field. I too like our safeties. You don't see a lot of long runs this year, which means most of the time, they are cleaning things up.

Last edited:
Though I figured it to be a joke, the crazy funny thing is that I think it’s also quite accurate of an assessment. So does that make it a brilliant or stupid joke?:confused:

I sense that nobody other than maybe BigDelHawk got this joke.

Well done, Layoutman.

Best collection of Safeties under Ferentz was 2002 and it isn't even close any other year.
FS Pagel, Considine
SS Sanders, Boleyn

2 guys had ok NFL careers and another was an NFL defensive player of the year. The fourth, Scott Boleyn, was a walk on that started once and filled in very well several other times that season when Sanders couldn't play because of injuries.

Reactions: cheerscoach
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT