ADVERTISEMENT

Amarion Nimmers Practice Highlights are IMPRESSIVE. On Aug 3, enters Transfer Portal

I know it’s highlights but if I remember the knock was all right handed. Evidence from highlights is he worked on that a lot. I can see him on scholarship next year as a combo guard.

Reactions: skydog0784
I wonder who shot this video footage. It’s unusual to see such extensive video of Iowa basketball practice.

OK, I was ready to be negative about this because it's practice but he actually looks good.

Granted, it's against the Iowa defense during a practice. I bet there's a couple guys that just look outstanding during these practices but can't do it during an actual game.

OK, I was ready to be negative about this because it's practice but he actually looks good.

Granted, it's against the Iowa defense during a practice. I bet there's a couple guys that just look outstanding during these practices but can't do it during an actual game.
The only way to know if he can actually do it is to put him out there. Will be interesting to see if he gets his chance.

More then a few things I gleaned from that video....1. We could have used Nimmers athleticism this year. He's much more skilled then Ulis. 2. I know that Fran wanted to give as much floor time to Kris and Pilip as they could handle, but damn Iowa could have used Mulvey's height this year. 3. I noticed Fran watching the players activities with his hands in his pockets. Nice, at least his consistent! and 4. I was thinking the same thing as one of the previous posters....where was the defense! All the coaches in the video seem quite content on what they were seeing. Disturbing to say the least!

On a another topic, If Iowa is going to change the culture of the program, it has to start with the head coach, Fran needs to be the leader. Instead of standing on the sidelines barking and staring at the referees with his hands in his pockets, he needs to get after his players and get them excited, you know like most other coaches do, and stop worry about what is called or not called by the referees, it's part of the game.
I'm also tired of having starters play 30 minutes of floor time and not showing any productivity with no retribution from Fran. If a player is not producing, Fran needs to sit them on the bench and get someone else in the game, you know, the NCAA allows 13 scholarships, what a novel idea having 13 scholarship players that you can draw from if one of the starters is having a bad day. Iowa's loosing way too many games by playing players that provide little or nothing, that's on Fran and his coaching staff.
Either Fran needs to change his approach on how he coaches the games or Iowa will continue to be a disappointment to it's fans until he decides to call it a day.
I don't want him gone, I just want him to become a positive coach on the sidelines instead of a negative impact on the games.

This is the pessimist in me, but we sure he's not just posting this video to improve his transfer portal stock?
It certainly could be and if he isn’t offered a scholarship at Iowa but is elsewhere then presumably he thanks the Iowa staff for their help in improving his game and moves on . However if the coach believes he is worthy of a scholarship at Iowa then I hope he gets one and continues his career as a Hawkeye. Regardless he should do what’s in his best interest, wouldn’t you agree ?

More then a few things I gleaned from that video....1. We could have used Nimmers athleticism this year. He's much more skilled then Ulis. 2. I know that Fran wanted to give as much floor time to Kris and Pilip as they could handle, but damn Iowa could have used Mulvey's height this year. 3. I noticed Fran watching the players activities with his hands in his pockets. Nice, at least his consistent! and 4. I was thinking the same thing as one of the previous posters....where was the defense! All the coaches in the video seem quite content on what they were seeing. Disturbing to say the least!

On a another topic, If Iowa is going to change the culture of the program, it has to start with the head coach, Fran needs to be the leader. Instead of standing on the sidelines barking and staring at the referees with his hands in his pockets, he needs to get after his players and get them excited, you know like most other coaches do, and stop worry about what is called or not called by the referees, it's part of the game.
I'm also tired of having starters play 30 minutes of floor time and not showing any productivity with no retribution from Fran. If a player is not producing, Fran needs to sit them on the bench and get someone else in the game, you know, the NCAA allows 13 scholarships, what a novel idea having 13 scholarship players that you can draw from if one of the starters is having a bad day. Iowa's loosing way too many games by playing players that provide little or nothing, that's on Fran and his coaching staff.
Either Fran needs to change his approach on how he coaches the games or Iowa will continue to be a disappointment to it's fans until he decides to call it a day.
I don't want him gone, I just want him to become a positive coach on the sidelines instead of a negative impact on the games.

I really think he's close to changing after all these years.

/s

The athleticism is obviously what sticks out the most - and I remember that being discussed when he committed to walk on at Iowa. The shooting form, fluidity, and confidence is also very impressive. Guys like Ulis and Perkins are not great perimeter shooters and mainly only shoot open 3s when they have a lot of space and can be pretty deliberate with their shot. In these highlights, Nimmers is getting his outside shots off with the kind of fluidity and quickness of a pure shooter like Sandfort. Obviously highlights are only going to show the shots that were made, so I'd love to know the percentage he was shooting in these scrimmages. I believe he shot 44% from 3 in high school, which is very good.

He looks like he should be in the rotation next year.

Well said! I've defended Fran on this forum over the years. His coaching of offense and instilling confidence in his players' offensive abilities is top notch. But, as you said, he needs to improve as a defensive coach if Iowa is to ever hope of advancing beyond the round of 32. That starts in daily practices. And I agree about the complaining about refs. I wish Fran would learn (we all can learn and change) to just talk to refs rather than blow a nut. An old proverb (paraphrased) With a little honey and a kind word, you can lead an elephant by a hair. Refs are human and will make mistakes and will also hold grudges. Treating them with respect and expecting your players to do so as well will reap more benefits for the team than going off on them, trying to show them up, etc.

Reactions: perryhawk
I wonder who shot this video footage. It’s unusual to see such extensive video of Iowa basketball practice.
They film all practices for the purpose of review. I assume he was given the video to put out. Clearly someone at UI should speak to him about the music choices he made for a video that is representative of him and UI.

Unusual for the public to see it, but i don’t think it’s unusual for programs to tape their practices and this footage appears to be from that.

As mentioned, that isn't B10 level defense he's playing against.
Listen I'm not going to stand here and say Fran or our defense is what they need to be. But we cannot argue that we've won 58 BIG games and a BIG tourney championship over the past 5 years with both Fran and his defense. To say that our defense is not BIG level is nonsense. We need to be better to get to the next level, I agree with that.

Some reminders:

* He will be a redshirt freshman next season.

* He is a Class of 2022 6'3" combo guard (unless he grew over this past season)

* On April 30, 2022, it was announced he would be joining the roster as a preferred walk on.

* On Nov 14, 2022, it was announced that Amarion would redshirt during the 2022-2023 season so he is now scheduled to be eligible thru March, 2027.

I was able to find Nimmers' profile and it shows that he committed to Iowa and is enrolled:

But, why the heck am I unable to find him on any of our list of commitments? Is he not on scholarship? I guess I had totally missed this!

Last edited:
I was able to find Nimmers' profile and it shows that he committed to Iowa and is enrolled:

But, why the heck am I unable to find him on any of our list of commitments? I guess I had totally missed this!

Committed last season and red shirted...

It certainly could be and if he isn’t offered a scholarship at Iowa but is elsewhere then presumably he thanks the Iowa staff for their help in improving his game and moves on . However if the coach believes he is worthy of a scholarship at Iowa then I hope he gets one and continues his career as a Hawkeye. Regardless he should do what’s in his best interest, wouldn’t you agree ?
Yes, of course. Just hope we can find a spot for him. Looks like he could help out the defense and overall team athleticism. I think the main negative for him was his handle if I recall correctly, but he should be fine as an off guard.

Yes, of course. Just hope we can find a spot for him. Looks like he could help out the defense and overall team athleticism. I think the main negative for him was his handle if I recall correctly, but he should be fine as an off guard.
Handle looks pretty good in the video.

But his High-school highlights looked good too.

There's something about his game that isn't showing up in these videos because he didn't have any high major offers.

He clearly is the best player on the court in this video. Iowa's players couldn't guard him and that includes Ulis, Perkins and Murray. This kid is a stud and should be starting next season. He makes the players around him better too.
I’m sure the others would look like the clear best player on the court if you clipped all their made shots together.

The only things we didn't see were his defense(not that it a prerequisite for playing time) or his ability to dish. I agree from what we can see he has starter level ability.

Reactions: cleotishaywood
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT