ADVERTISEMENT

Amazon: Aliens Special Edition

Not getting it. What's racist about one of the best action flicks of the 80's and a top three sequel.
giphy.gif

Do any of them alter the plot, feel or ending like the Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now reduxes?

Nope.....they are early to middle and explains and fills in some plot points

like how the colonist found the alien ship, though what has always bugged me was the reason the alien ship wasn't sending the "SOS" the Nostromo detected any longer.......they should have know know about that alien ship LONG before colonists came into play. But that's my ONLY gripe about that movie.

Nope.....they are early to middle and explains and fills in some plot points

like how the colonist found the alien ship, though what has always bugged me was the reason the alien ship wasn't sending the "SOS" the Nostromo detected any longer.......they should have know know about that alien ship LONG before colonists came into play. But that's my ONLY gripe about that movie.

The company DID know about the aliens and the signal. They purposely put the colonists in harm's way. They actually purposefully order Newt's dad to investigate a source where a warning is eminating in deleted scenes and the novel.

Last edited:
The company DID know about the aliens and the signal. They purposely put the colonists in harm's way. They actually purposefully order Newt's dad to investigate a source where a warning is eminating in deleted scenes and the novel.

That scene IS from the Directors Cut/Special Edition, but you are telling me that the colonist's ship wouldn't pick it up or some geek in the colony control, or assuming the speed of light transmissions (though I think in 3 they had a "work around") and where other colonies, ships, etc were located no independent ship/person wouldn't pick it up (who knows how long that signal was on before and after the 87 years after the Nostromo picked it up..............come on now, that dog don't hunt.

That scene IS from the Directors Cut/Special Edition, but you are telling me that the colonist's ship wouldn't pick it up or some geek in the colony control, or assuming the speed of light transmissions (though I think in 3 they had a "work around") and where other colonies, ships, etc were located no independent ship/person wouldn't pick it up (who knows how long that signal was on before and after the 87 years after the Nostromo picked it up..............come on now, that dog don't hunt.

If you mean why didn't they pick up the Alien warning signal from the Engineer's ship, then that's because the original Nostromo crew turned it off when they were investigating the site to begin with is one explanation.

James Cameron offered another in Starlog #125

"As some readers may know, scenes were filmed but cut from the final release version of the film which depicted the discovery of the derelict by a mom-and-pop geological survey (i.e.: prospecting) team. As scripted, they were given the general coordinates of its position by the manager of the colony, on orders from Carter Burke. It is not directly stated, but presumed, that Burke could only have gotten that information from Ripley or from the black-box flight recorder aboard the shuttle Narcissus, which accessed the Nostromo's on-board computer. When the Jorden family, including young Newt, reach the coordinates, they discover the derelict ship. Since we and the Nostromo crew last saw it, it has been damaged by volcanic activity, a lava flow having crushed it against a rock outcropping and ripped open its hull. Aside from considerations of visual interest, this serves as a justification for the acoustic beacon being non-operational."

As far as the beacon warnings in space sent by the Nostromo, there's actually a cutscene in the officially canon video game Alien: Isolation which has Ripley's daughter shutting off the beacon.

As far as why the colonists on LV-246 didn't just come across the Engineer ship before they were sent there by Burke, it's because there were only 70 families on the entire terraforming colony and it's a large moon about half the size of Earth. Plus there's the aforementioned volcanic activity and the Engineer ship was at least partially organic and maybe very stealthy so looking for something haphazardly without knowing it was there, you would probably overlook it.

Speaking of the original Alien movie, it's interesting that half of the deleted scenes from the script half actually become canon (Where the captain wasn't killed but was cocooned and being saved to create another alien) but the other half of deleted scenes does not (where the alien is shown to be brilliant, able to pilot a ship and copy human speech despite being at most a couple of days old).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/io9.gi...lien-was-both-terrifying-and-a-1793964487/amp

If you mean why didn't they pick up the Alien warning signal from the Engineer's ship, then that's because the original Nostromo crew turned it off when they were investigating the site to begin with is one explanation.

James Cameron offered another in Starlog #125

"As some readers may know, scenes were filmed but cut from the final release version of the film which depicted the discovery of the derelict by a mom-and-pop geological survey (i.e.: prospecting) team. As scripted, they were given the general coordinates of its position by the manager of the colony, on orders from Carter Burke. It is not directly stated, but presumed, that Burke could only have gotten that information from Ripley or from the black-box flight recorder aboard the shuttle Narcissus, which accessed the Nostromo's on-board computer. When the Jorden family, including young Newt, reach the coordinates, they discover the derelict ship. Since we and the Nostromo crew last saw it, it has been damaged by volcanic activity, a lava flow having crushed it against a rock outcropping and ripped open its hull. Aside from considerations of visual interest, this serves as a justification for the acoustic beacon being non-operational."

As far as the beacon warnings in space sent by the Nostromo, there's actually a cutscene in the officially canon video game Alien: Isolation which has Ripley's daughter shutting off the beacon.

As far as why the colonists on LV-246 didn't just come across the Engineer ship before they were sent there by Burke, it's because there were only 70 families on the entire terraforming colony and it's a large moon about half the size of Earth. Plus there's the aforementioned volcanic activity and the Engineer ship was at least partially organic and maybe very stealthy so looking for something haphazardly without knowing it was there, you would probably overlook it.

The "artificial human" science officer sent everything when he utilized Mother after the Captain died. They never utilized any of technology (like David did in Prometheus) in the alien ship, so how could they turn the alien beacon of? Like I said, it's my only problem when the movie.......and it's not that big of one, it's just the science geek in me that causes me to overthink things.

By the way here's my favorite scene, though I agree that Bill Paxon made the movie.........this scene with nothing said, opened the door (she unlocked it with Alien), that women could be the lead hero/bad ass in blockbuster action films.

Edit: I've never seen any of the scenes where the alien could pilot the ship........might have to check those out

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
The "artificial human" science officer sent everything when he utilized Mother after the Captain died. They never utilized any of technology (like David did in Prometheus) in the alien ship, so how could they turn the alien beacon of? Like I said, it's my only problem when the movie.......and it's not that big of one, it's just the science geek in me that causes me to overthink things.

By the way here's my favorite scene, though I agree that Bill Paxon made the movie.........this scene with nothing said, opened the door (she unlocked it with Alien), that women could be the lead hero/bad ass in blockbuster action films.

Edit: I've never seen any of the scenes where the alien could pilot the ship........might have to check those out

I don't think those scenes were filmed. Check my previous link and you'll see Ridley Scott doing an interview and he talks about it.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I don't think those scenes were filmed. Check my previous link and you'll see Ridley Scott doing an interview and he talks about it.

I gotcha........have you ever looked at the many different variations of the aliens he had a guy drawing up prefilming? Some of them are comical, they definitely picked the right one.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT