ADVERTISEMENT

American Car Culture. Does It Even Exist Any More?

Only pereipherally related, but I stumbled across an article a while back talking about different vehicle preferences across different geographic and demographic groups. I've forgotten most of it but I remember that the top choices among Native Americans were listed as pickup trucks and Buicks. Buicks? Go figure.
The old Electra 99s. Longer than a caddy

Couldn't post a pic

Last edited:
Lots of people seem to enjoy the high priced Chevy Suburban Tahoe’s and all the big trucks with triple leather everything.

I assume all those people are also saving for retirement and have a few months of emergency funds.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
I've never cared about cars. Point A to point B. I prefer my car to look bland and whatever so it doesn't get broken into or draw attention in public. Much prefer stealth look to wealth look.
Just for a contrasting viewpoint, here's something I might have seen when I was a kid. A lovely paint job. Fender skirts. Most chrome trim and advertising stripped away, but some tastefully added, including chrome dual pipes, chrome gas cap and what looks like chrome hubcaps. Very clean and tasteful to my eye.

42a77885f6601c18b4eaebfe913bced8--shoebox-ideas-shoe-box.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Just for a contrasting viewpoint, here's something I might have seen when I was a kid. A lovely paint job. Fender skirts. Most chrome trim and advertising stripped away, but some tastefully added, including chrome dual pipes, chrome gas cap and what looks like chrome hubcaps. Very clean and tasteful to my eye.

42a77885f6601c18b4eaebfe913bced8--shoebox-ideas-shoe-box.jpg

I guess most American car body styles changed slightly every year for the same make/model for a while back in the day and so my father, can or maybe could at one point (don't see as many people driving antique cars these days) tell you the year make and model of pretty much any Ford or GM from the 50s to whenever that stopped and they kept making basically the same cars for a few years.

I can tell you 400 people I know who've owned a Pontiac Grand Am or Grand Prix at one point that all looked the same.

On a bit of a tangent, I'm trying to sell my wife's(you don't want a pic) and my motorcycles as we are at an age to where we just don't ride anymore. Spoke with a dealer about putting them on display at their store.
He said that todays younger crowd are not into motorcycles but into 4 wheelers and ATV's.
Since it has been opened up for they to be driven on roads and in town now they are everywhere. Dealers are selling more of ATV's than motorcycles.

Last edited:
I guess most American car body styles changed slightly every year for the same make/model for a while back in the day and so my father, can or maybe could at one point (don't see as many people driving antique cars these days) tell you the year make and model of pretty much any Ford or GM from the 50s to whenever that stopped and they kept making basically the same cars for a few years.

I can tell you 400 people I know who've owned a Pontiac Grand Am or Grand Prix at one point that all looked the same.
I can still distinguish a lot of those cars from the 50s and 60s. Not with quite as much certainty as I would have a couple of decades ago, but still a lot of them.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
On a bit of a tangent, I'm trying to sell my wife's(you don't want a pic) and my motorcycles as we are at an age to where we just don't ride anymore. Spoke with a dealer about putting them on display at their store.
He said that todays younger crowd are not into motorcycles but into 4 wheelers and ATV's.
Since it has been opened up for they to be driven on roads and in town now they are everywhere dealers are selling more of ATV's than motorcycles.
How much are you asking for the wife?

Oh, there's an apostrophe-s.

When did that happen? Is that a state/local thing or widespread?
Up here in Wisky land and NE Iowa they said it was opened up in April. Lots running around in town all the time.
There was a 72 yr old in NE Iowa(Garber area) hit while turning left and a 24 yr old was over taking them. He was killed and wife seriously injured

Last edited:
Yes, car culture is still alive and well. It has expanded IMO and there are subcultures for all types of vehicles. I think the various number of options these days makes it harder to spot what people have done to customize their rides. There are also some changes that you can't make easily anymore. Ex, with pillar air bags, you cannot chop the top of any modern car.

If you don't think it is alive, get out more. One trip to SEMA you will see it's booming. Hell, every time you hear a car with a fart can, you know thats custom.

Now WHAT/HOW American car culture looks like may have changed, but we have so many car shows, amateur racing circuits, etc. This may also be a function of the 1940s-1970s American steel era is over. Americans are living the life with other brands being the base for the lifestyle, not exclusively the big three makers.

Last edited:
All the YouTube videos of drive bys for kids' birthdays during the pandemic indicate there is still a car culture out there.

A stock Model X SUV can take a McLaren F1 off the line. There are like a hundred guys in the world that can drive a modern 911 turbo to its peak. It costs $30k an hour to track a hyper-car. On the high end, people don’t have the skill or resources to play.

Car culture has shifted. Where I am it’s all over-landing and off-roading. There are plenty of $100k Jeeps. I see more Rubicons than Jeep Sports. There are also tons of guys who do track days, hill climbs, or auto-cross with Mazda MX5s.
I work part time at a Jeep dealership - a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram actually and the prices and modifications are amazing. We have a Grand Cherokee on the floor now with a 700HP engine in it. And it will sell - it's in the $70's and it won't be the first one we've sold this year. Have Ram trucks in the mid and upper 70's and Chargers with 700 plus HP tricked out in the $90's.
The typical buyer is a very well off Boomer who's wanted one since 1973 or so and can now stroke a check.
For 2021 Jeep is bringing back the Grand Wagoneer with a $100K+ price tag. It will compete with a Land Rover, an Escalade or Denali, or a Jag or Porsche SUV. I can't wait to see them.

Reactions: mnole03
Unfortunately I'm not rich enough to get into the hobby but I love the T.V shows.
Ynti_spzm2kkCo1cW5EPFtlR_QvmERYHBlU0L-bw5vRfwkrDA2CDB7zybcr0pVgNp7My=w1264

New-Episodes-of-Fast-N-Loud.jpg

97663592_1300x1733.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering when someone was going to mention all the TV shows. It’s alive and well.

It’s interesting to me what age groups are into.

I have a 1949 Studebaker street rod pickup that I drive probably 3 days a week. The comments I get are from Boomers. Kids obviously have little to no knowledge of Studebaker.

But I also have an 1985 Chevy short bed that is as original clean as you’ll ever see. Always garage kept. It’s usually the younger crowd that loves that truck. Square bodies are incredibly popular right now....but unfortunately everyone is slamming the heck out of them.

Reactions: SpyderHawk
I enjoy looking at new cars but I go nuts every time I wash and wax my cars and find the usually new dings and scratches.

we drive them until they are dust. Glad others don’t because cars sales are good for economy.

I'd say there is, but it's a much higher class of enthusiasts now than there used to be.

For example, my car in HS was a 1964 Chevy Malibu SS. I put a 327 (with a .030 overbore) from a 1962 Corvette mated to a Muncie M20 Tranny with a slightly narrowed Dana rear end. The interior was meh, seats had tears, the dash was somewhat broken up, but the exterior and frame were clean and straight. I had a total of $2500 in the car, which was less than you could buy a new car (even a Yugo) at the time.

Try to build a clean, straight 196ps muscle car with that kind of driveline for less than $40-50k now, not sure it can be done, even if you ignore the interior.

FTR, now, I'd rather have a modded hot hatch, say a VW GTI R type or Mitsubishi Evo 10, with all kinds of engine work than a muscle car. The Speed3 I had would destroy my SS in both a straightine and on a curvy road. The only thing the SS would have on the MSP is the sound. A hefty V8 with an aftermarket cam and built exhaust sounds really, really good.

I never cared for jeeps. never gave them a second look. until i started watching this dude. makes me want to investigate jeeps.

I'm on Jeep #8 and love them...you can modify them for eternity and never really finish...just sell one and start over. About to toss my 33s for 35s and swap the 3.73 gear ration for a 4.56 and rear lockers. Getting it ready for next summer's trek to Colorado to earn 3 Official Jeep Badges.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT