ADVERTISEMENT

Americans own 423M guns & 8.1B rounds of ammunition, latest data shows

Dusty Human 1

Rookie
Dec 4, 2019
Appleton Wisconsin
Using the most recent data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ (ATF’s) Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Reports (AFMER) to draw its conclusions, FITA’s report stated there are 422.9 million firearms in civilian possession from 1986 to 2018, along with an estimated 8.1 billion rounds of various firearms calibers and gauges.

The report also noted that in a 25 year period between 1993 and 2017, the violent crime rate has dropped by 48.6 percent while firearms-related accidents have decreased by 68 percent.
“These figures show the industry that America has a strong desire to continue to purchase firearms for lawful purposes,” said Joe Bartozzi, President of the National Shooting Sports Foundation. “The Modern Sporting Rifle continues to be the most popular centerfire rifle sold in America today and is clearly a commonly-owned firearm with more than 17 million in legal private ownership today. The continued popularity of handguns demonstrates a strong interest by Americans to protect themselves and their homes, and to participate in the recreational shooting sports.”

https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...qt-Toys7vS9mPxt4XutWrPDGEYhL6IofntR4hHoz40NLM

so what, we have a 2nd amendment. Bloomberg has armed guards and 20 billion dollars, whats it to him ?

giphy.gif

Reactions: SDHN2013
What's scarier, knowing how much ammo is owned, or knowing that someone knows how much ammo is owned?

Sounds like a big waste of money.

I often wonder what it would be like to have a cashless society. Everything is a debit or credit card and algorithms decide if you should be buying something.

Too much debt ? It denies most transactions for unnecessary purchases until you get your shit together.

Using the most recent data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ (ATF’s) Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Reports (AFMER) to draw its conclusions, FITA’s report stated there are 422.9 million firearms in civilian possession from 1986 to 2018, along with an estimated 8.1 billion rounds of various firearms calibers and gauges.

The report also noted that in a 25 year period between 1993 and 2017, the violent crime rate has dropped by 48.6 percent while firearms-related accidents have decreased by 68 percent.
“These figures show the industry that America has a strong desire to continue to purchase firearms for lawful purposes,” said Joe Bartozzi, President of the National Shooting Sports Foundation. “The Modern Sporting Rifle continues to be the most popular centerfire rifle sold in America today and is clearly a commonly-owned firearm with more than 17 million in legal private ownership today. The continued popularity of handguns demonstrates a strong interest by Americans to protect themselves and their homes, and to participate in the recreational shooting sports.”

https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...qt-Toys7vS9mPxt4XutWrPDGEYhL6IofntR4hHoz40NLM
That's only 19 rds of ammo per gun.

Seems low.

I often wonder what it would be like to have a cashless society. Everything is a debit or credit card and algorithms decide if you should be buying something.

Too much debt ? It denies most transactions for unnecessary purchases until you get your shit together.

As long as ‘It’ is me, and I get decide what happens to wealth and how much wealth you have access to spend.

Reactions: Gimmered
Good news!!!

After Hawaii NAS and Pensacola NAS, we're now at 422,999,998 guns and 8,099,999,502 rounds of ammo!!!

Baby Steps!!!!:eek:

Reactions: TheCainer
As long as ‘It’ is me, and I get decide what happens to wealth and how much wealth you have access to spend.

I am fine with that also. But no crying about student loans , car debt, or cost of home/apartment.

Not even a lefty like me wants that level of Big Brotherness. But it would be cool to have a well-constructed app that tells you that information.

I had some serious buyer's remorse over Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I'm a reasonably sensible guy, so I caught myself and cancelled a couple of things. Good deals but I really didn't need them.

I suggest 2 versions of the app (or maybe 2 warning levels in the same app). I'd call them the Buyer's Remorse, and Debtor's Prison versions. One warns you that you are digging yourself a hole and will probably regret it. The other tells you you are seriously jeopardizing your economic health or future.

Reactions: dandh

To review -

I suggested safety was a large reason I live in Iowa and due to that feeling of safety I personally find gun ownership unnecessary.

I pointed out that I would move, if I ever felt unsafe, before I would feel the need to own a weapon

(very important note - I currently feel safe - no desire or expectation to move)

Response by Dusty Human 1: Bye

Thanks Dusty Human 1

FITA’s report stated there are 422.9 million firearms in civilian possession from 1986 to 2018
This is a little confusing.

Is this before or after Obama confiscated all our guns?

Kidding side, it actually is a little confusing. Is that the number of guns held by the population as of 2018, or the number added during that time period?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT