ADVERTISEMENT

Americans own 423M guns & 8.1B rounds of ammunition, latest data shows

Nope. My childhood best friend keeps getting on me to purchase a fire arm. I’m just not that concerned with owning one.
I was raised in the era of "cowboys and indians" dominating movies, radio and TV. Heck, westerns were a popular book genre, too, although I leaned toward sci-fi myself as a kid (and now).

As kids, we played "cowboys and indians" in the nearby woods. A few of us had cap guns. The rest used our fingers.

Needless to say, my generation grew up not worrying about guns but, rather, thinking of them as pretty cool.

I wonder what happens to gun control issues when my generation dies off, or if we go a decade or so without war?

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Using the most recent data from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ (ATF’s) Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Reports (AFMER) to draw its conclusions, FITA’s report stated there are 422.9 million firearms in civilian possession from 1986 to 2018, along with an estimated 8.1 billion rounds of various firearms calibers and gauges.

The report also noted that in a 25 year period between 1993 and 2017, the violent crime rate has dropped by 48.6 percent while firearms-related accidents have decreased by 68 percent.
“These figures show the industry that America has a strong desire to continue to purchase firearms for lawful purposes,” said Joe Bartozzi, President of the National Shooting Sports Foundation. “The Modern Sporting Rifle continues to be the most popular centerfire rifle sold in America today and is clearly a commonly-owned firearm with more than 17 million in legal private ownership today. The continued popularity of handguns demonstrates a strong interest by Americans to protect themselves and their homes, and to participate in the recreational shooting sports.”

https://americanmilitarynews.com/20...qt-Toys7vS9mPxt4XutWrPDGEYhL6IofntR4hHoz40NLM
Had dinner with an old friend last night. He's got money and likes to accumulate possessions/things. He's not a hunter, but has a huge gun safe that the home builders had to reinforce the floor of his house during a recent makeover. He lives on a very private estate, complete with large pond and barn.

He said the other night his girlfriend let the 3 dogs out to do there thing in the evening and they started barking & howling. He went out to the barn to investigate and the dogs had cornered 2 raccoons. He told the gf to go to the gun safe (she knows the lock combo and has several guns of her own in it) and pick out the first rifle she could grab and bring it to him. I asked him about ammo. He said not to worry, all his guns are always loaded. She brought him an AR-15 with a rifled down firing pin, so it's really a machine gun. He proceeded to go all Rambo First Blood on the masked critters.

I asked him how many guns he has. He said, at last count, 53 rifles and 41 handguns.

He said later that night the dogs were growling outside again; they had a opossum cornered in the driveway. So, he grabbed a 45 cal. revolver and pumped 6 rounds into the little guy. That possum is not just playing dead. :rolleyes:

Welcome to 'Merica.

Had dinner with an old friend last night. He's got money and likes to accumulate possessions/things. He's not a hunter, but has a huge gun safe that the home builders had to reinforce the floor of his house during a recent makeover. He lives on a very private estate, complete with large pond and barn.

He said the other night his girlfriend let the 3 dogs out to do there thing in the evening and they started barking & howling. He went out to the barn to investigate and the dogs had cornered 2 raccoons. He told the gf to go to the gun safe (she knows the lock combo and has several guns of her own) and pick out the first rifle she could grab and bring it to him. I asked him about ammo. He said not to worry, all his guns are always loaded. She brought him an AR-15 with a rifled down firing pin, so it's really a machine gun. He proceeded to go all Rambo First Blood on the coons.

I asked him how many guns he has. He said, at last count, 53 rifles and 41 handguns. He said later that night the dogs were growling outside again; they had a opossum cornered in the driveway. So, he grabbed a 45 cal. revolver and pumped 6 rounds into the critter. That possum is not just playing dead. :rolleyes:

Welcome to 'Merica.
Real tough guy you have for a friend.

As far as those who don't own a handgun, rifle or shotgun that's a choice they make. I don't think any less of them or feel they a pussies or such I just question their commitment to protecting their family.

Alexa tells me there are 124,600,000 households in the US. So that's 3.4 guns per household.

Do you have your fair share?
Just for shits and giggles I'll look at our immediate family. This will encompass 3 generations (one above, mine, one below).

Eight Households Total

4 Households with zero guns.
1 Household with 2 guns (No handguns or AR)
1 Household with 3 guns (No handguns or AR)
1 Household with 4 guns (1 handgun, no AR)
1 Household with 17 guns

That averages 3.25 guns per household with my family. Not far from Jesus number.

Full disclosure (1 of the Zero gun households actually owns a gun that is stored and included in the count of the Household with 17).

As far as those who don't own a handgun, rifle or shotgun that's a choice they make. I don't think any less of them or feel they a pussies or such I just question their commitment to protecting their family.

why is owning a gun a prerequisite for protecting their family?

My first line of defense is a sharpened spade in my bedroom closet. Could also come in handy in a fire (which a gun won't).

You don't have to stoop to a mop or broom.

Not to mention bats, golf clubs, knives, etc. or one could know some version of hand to hand. Or one could have a proper security system...

guns are not the only way to defend ones family.

Not to mention bats, golf clubs, knives, etc. or one could know some version of hand to hand. Or one could have a proper security system...

guns are not the only way to defend ones family.

Your bat, golf club, or knives would prove to be worthless against a trained combatant, or wired druggie. Everything you cited and are dependent on allow your attacker to get much too close to you for you to use, you will ultimately lose and your family will lose also.

This is obviously out of control. Perhaps disallowing from being inherited would be a small step.

How convenient that the resident panty waisted libs ignore this part - The report also noted that in a 25 year period between 1993 and 2017, the violent crime rate has dropped by 48.6 percent while firearms-related accidents have decreased by 68 percent.

Reactions: Dusty Human 1
Your bat, golf club, or knives would prove to be worthless against a trained combatant, or wired druggie. Everything you cited and are dependent on allow your attacker to get much too close to you for you to use, you will ultimately lose and your family will lose also.

exactly how many trained combatants is the average family going to encounter? How many druggies are likely to wait until you have your gun out?

I recognize you have the right to defend your family how you choose, but please don’t argue that there’s only one way to do so.

exactly how many trained combatants is the average family going to encounter? How many druggies are likely to wait until you have your gun out?

I recognize you have the right to defend your family how you choose, but please don’t argue that there’s only one way to do so.
Please put a gun free zone sign in your front yard and let us know how that works out.

Please put a gun free zone sign in your front yard and let us know how that works out.

Oh for the love of...I’m not advocating no guns period. And obviously gun-free zones sound nice, but impractical at best in reality. All I’m responding to is the initial statement by Dusty that if you don’t own a gun you’re somehow failing in your duty to protect your family. If you choose to own a gun for self-defense, that’s your choice and your right. My parents have never owned a gun in their lives, and I felt perfectly safe growing up in their home. Guns are not the only way to keep your family safe.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
She brought him an AR-15 with a rifled down firing pin, so it's really a machine gun. He proceeded to go all Rambo First Blood on the masked critters.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Mattski
The supply is increasing with time and this would be one way to help control it. It’s like old money.
Or perhaps heavy taxation.

The supply is increasing with time and this would be one way to help control it. It’s like old money.
Or perhaps heavy taxation.
Or we could just keep passing them down to our law abiding children and keep enjoying these ever falling crime rates for generations.
The fact that you find my guns scary is somewhat comforting to me.

Reactions: Mattski
Lol at feeling insulted with the “screw you” and then “comforted” by a few words from an anonymous poster on an off topic message board.

People can buy their own guns, no need for hand me downs.

He said the other night his girlfriend let the 3 dogs out to do there thing in the evening and they started barking & howling. He went out to the barn to investigate and the dogs had cornered 2 raccoons. He told the gf to go to the gun safe (she knows the lock combo and has several guns of her own in it) and pick out the first rifle she could grab and bring it to him. I asked him about ammo. He said not to worry, all his guns are always loaded. She brought him an AR-15 with a rifled down firing pin, so it's really a machine gun. He proceeded to go all Rambo First Blood on the masked critters.

I asked him how many guns he has. He said, at last count, 53 rifles and 41 handguns.

He said later that night the dogs were growling outside again; they had a opossum cornered in the driveway. So, he grabbed a 45 cal. revolver and pumped 6 rounds into the little guy. That possum is not just playing dead. :rolleyes:

Welcome to 'Merica.

I now have something else to read to my children and future grandchildren every Christmas.

How would that be unconstitutional? Also, 2nd is an Amendment. It could be repealed or further amended.
Yes, you can't get background checks but think you can repeal the second. I like your spunk.

Hmmm, you think pricing guns and ammo out of reach for poor people isn't infringing on their rights of self defense? Are you stupid?

Yes, you can't get background checks but think you can repeal the second. I like your spunk.

Hmmm, you think pricing guns and ammo out of reach for poor people isn't infringing on their rights of self defense? Are you stupid?

It's already a pretty expensive hobby. Are you saying we should subsidize this so poor people can afford to protect themselves?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT