ADVERTISEMENT

America's 50 Best Fried Chicken Spots

Arbitr8

HB Legend
May 13, 2009
Lewis Township
48. Alpine Inn: Omaha, Neb.

Alpine Inn might seem unassuming based on the building's exterior, but their fried half-chickens served with large potato wedges should not be overlooked. In business for more than 40 years, the spot (which doubles as a biker bar at night) has been known to feed the roughly 50 local raccoons their leftover chicken scraps. But don't be scared off by their furry friends; we promise this dish is worth it.

19. Harold's Chicken Shack: Chicago

Known as President Obama's favorite fried chicken place in Chicago, Harold's has become a small local chain as it has expanded due to popularity. But despite having numerous locations across the city, Harold's never sacrifices the quality it's known for. The chicken comes simply with white bread and hot sauce, and there are no frills about it - but with a product that tastes this outstanding on its own, there are no embellishments needed. Who would have guessed Barry likes him some Harold's Chicken Shack!

15. Stroud's: Kansas City, Mo.

In business since 1933, Stroud's is known for their famous pan-fried-to-order chicken served out of "an expanded 1829 log cabin and farm house." The establishment has won multiple awards, like the James Beard Award for Excellence in the Home Style category, and has been featured in The New York Times, Bon Appétit, and Gourmet over the years. Along with the chicken, customers rave about the mashed potatoes and cinnamon rolls, which are decadent additions to a meal, but certainly worth the extra calories.

This post was edited on 3/25 7:02 PM by Arbitr8

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/americas-50-best-fried-chicken-spots/ss-BBiCFic

Originally posted by dgordo:
Is yardbird in Miami on the list?

Posted from Rivals Mobile

43. Yardbird Southern Table & Bar: Miami, Fla.

Yardbird Southern Table & Bar brings a Southern charm and influence to Miami, a place known for its Cuban and Spanish food. Former chef Jeff McInnis, who has since moved on from Yardbird to open Root and Bone in NYC, is said to have boiled this fried chicken recipe down to a science: brining the chicken for 27 hours before dredging it in cayenne-spiced flour and then frying it. Yardbird's fried chicken has received numerous accolades in recent years, including earning a spot on the list of the best fried chicken in the U.S. by Food and Wine, named one of the best places in the South for fried chicken by Southern Living, and one of the 33 most iconic dishes in Miami according to Eater.

Originally posted by Arbitr8:

Yardbird Southern Table & Bar brings a Southern charm and influence to Miami, a place known for its Cuban and Spanish food. Former chef Jeff McInnis, who has since moved on from Yardbird to open Root and Bone in NYC, is said to have boiled this fried chicken recipe down to a science: brining the chicken for 27 hours before dredging it in cayenne-spiced flour and then frying it. Yardbird's fried chicken has received numerous accolades in recent years, including earning a spot on the list of the best fried chicken in the U.S. by Food and Wine, named one of the best places in the South for fried chicken by Southern Living, and one of the 33 most iconic dishes in Miami according to Eater.

Best I've ever had.

Originally posted by Arbitr8:

Best I've ever had.

I agree 100%. Accidentally stumbled upon it going somewhere else and stopped in. One of the best restaurant coincidences I've had.

7. Root and Bone: New York City

Hold on; New York City may be the pizza capital of the United States, but what's it doing on a list of the best fried chicken spots in the country? Here's the deal: as with its burgeoning barbecue scene, New York has quickly (and finally, if you ask many transplanted Southerners and Texans) developed a more-than-respectable fried chicken scene. Give a nod to Pies 'n Thighs for really kick-starting the trend, and then note what former Miami Yardbird chef Jeff McInnis and Australian Top Chef alum Janine Booth are doing on the Lower East Side. This sweet-tea-brined, pickled lemon dusted crispy fried chicken with spiked Tabasco honey may sound super "New York," but it's really just a really well-executed, slightly-fancy version of a classic dish. This is the kind of thing people talk about and create a destination around, and with good reason.

BBiDReh.img

When I first saw the thread title I reckoned Arbitr8 probably spammed the board with another one of his msn dot com links. Then I opened the thread and damned if I wasn't spot on.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:
Stroud's is best.

Doesn't really matter who's second.
Thank you. It's on my to do list for this Summer.

Quite a few NYC places. Surprised Seattle didn't have 5-6 places. AQ in Springdale, AR, is pretty darn good.
I am partial to Dell Rhea's in Chicagoland. Technically I think it might be in Hinsdale? No matter, it's right off of I-55 and delicious.

This thread is making me think of my grandma that grew up in South Carolina. Scrappy as Hell. We'd go down to visit and she'd go out to the chicken coop. There'd be some squawking and a bit of a commotion… The next thing you knew you were having wonderful chicken fried in Crisco.

I'm not a fan of Harold's in Chicago. I ate there a couple of times, at a place south of the Loop near Columbia College. The breaded skin was hard and the meat dry and over-cooked.

Originally posted by lucas80:
Stroud's is best.

You are welcome.

Unfortunately, the original Stroud's at 86th & Troost was urban renewed about 10-15 years ago. It was an old roadhouse. Loved that place. The bar had a moose head on the wall wearing sunglasses; there had been a fire, and it melted the moose's eyes, and rather than replace them, they just put on a pair of sunglasses. That Stroud's had some employees whose only job was to get the food to the tables as fast as possible. They didn't take orders or bus tables or anything else. They just grabbed the food the second it was finished and carried it to the table. If your chicken wasn't too hot to eat when you got it, somebody had screwed up.

I've never eaten at the Stroud's in north Kansas City, but I assume the food is the same. Since the original closed, I've eaten at the replacement, which is actually in Fairway, KS, on Shawnee Mission Blvd.

For the record, the chicken fried steak is to die for. I've been told the pork chop is fantastic, but I've never had anything except the chicken and chicken fried steak.

Originally posted by augie28:
What? No Pizza Ranch?

A couple weeks ago, a buddy and his wife (no pics) and I went to the Waukee PR for broasted chicken carry-out - in a rush and it was getting late, didn't feel like cooking. They'd never had it before.

We get home and it was hot, broasted as perfect as a PR can cook it. Juicy but not over-done, fresh oil...utterly perfect. The breasts were merely awesome, hardest piece to cook by far.

They both said that it was the best fried chicken they've ever had.

Anyone ever had Rip's chicken from Ladd, Illinois (between Ottawa and Princeton)? Jusy wondering if it is worth it. Might have been here where I first heard about it.

Originally posted by bagdropper:
Originally posted by augie28:
What? No Pizza Ranch?

A couple weeks ago, a buddy and his wife (no pics) and I went to the Waukee PR for broasted chicken carry-out - in a rush and it was getting late, didn't feel like cooking. They'd never had it before.

We get home and it was hot, broasted as perfect as a PR can cook it. Juicy but not over-done, fresh oil...utterly perfect. The breasts were merely awesome, hardest piece to cook by far.

They both said that it was the best fried chicken they've ever had.
If your friends say that pizza ranch chicken is the best they've ever had, they've lived a very sheltered life. It's decent for what it is, comparable to Casey's Pizza. But in no way should it make anyone's top 10 list, let alone hold the #1 spot.

Speaking on fried chicken...any good suggestions for Des Moines? Outside of Pizza Ranch of course.

Originally posted by TJ8869:
When I first saw the thread title I reckoned Arbitr8 probably spammed the board with another one of his msn dot com links. Then I opened the thread and damned if I wasn't spot on.
I'd love all his lists if they were lists and not click though pictures. I won't even open the link anymore. Just for others to do what has happened some in this thread.

Stroud's is best.

You are welcome.

Unfortunately, the original Stroud's at 86th & Troost was urban renewed about 10-15 years ago. It was an old roadhouse. Loved that place. The bar had a moose head on the wall wearing sunglasses; there had been a fire, and it melted the moose's eyes, and rather than replace them, they just put on a pair of sunglasses. That Stroud's had some employees whose only job was to get the food to the tables as fast as possible. They didn't take orders or bus tables or anything else. They just grabbed the food the second it was finished and carried it to the table. If your chicken wasn't too hot to eat when you got it, somebody had screwed up.

I've never eaten at the Stroud's in north Kansas City, but I assume the food is the same. Since the original closed, I've eaten at the replacement, which is actually in Fairway, KS, on Shawnee Mission Blvd.

For the record, the chicken fried steak is to die for. I've been told the pork chop is fantastic, but I've never had anything except the chicken and chicken fried steak.
Good to know. I am taking the kids to Pea Ridge this Summer and a stop for lunch in KC is in the plans. I did a quick search and saw the location in the NE corner of KC. Life is a food adventure. This will be another stop on the ride. I still haven't found the time to stop at Toot's, or whatever the place is off of I-35 about an hour from KC. I keep seeing the sign, but haven't been hungry enough to stop.

Stroud's is best.

You are welcome.

I have to agree with LC on this. Stroud's is by far the best chicken I've ever had and it's not even close. As mentioned in the article/list, their mashed potatoes/gravy and cinnamon rolls are also amazing. I typically eat at their Northland restaurant and I can vouch that the food is every bit as good as at their original place on Troost.

I've also eaten at Gus's in Memphis (#1 on the list), and enjoyed it a great deal. Much spicier recipe than Stroud's, but really delicious. I've heard they will be opening a restaurant in KC in the not-too-distant future, so anyone living in the KC area should definitely check them out.

Stroud's is best.

You are welcome.

Good to know. I am taking the kids to Pea Ridge this Summer and a stop for lunch in KC is in the plans. I did a quick search and saw the location in the NE corner of KC. Life is a food adventure. This will be another stop on the ride. I still haven't found the time to stop at Toot's, or whatever the place is off of I-35 about an hour from KC. I keep seeing the sign, but haven't been hungry enough to stop.
Check the hours for the one in NE KC.....the reason I've never eaten there is that it isn't open as much as the other(s). I think it's in an old farmhouse that's on the registry of historical places.

I have eaten at the Toot-Toot in Bethany twice. Highly recommend it for what it is, which is exactly what you think it is. Huge buffet, or if you order off the menu, huge portions. Comfort food. Family-style food. The kind of crowd you would expect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT