ADVERTISEMENT

Amid ‘the most altered landscape in America,’ this 100-acre plot in Johnson County remains rich and wild

Coralville. I think you should take your property and flood it with salt water. Take it all the way back
Not that far back, but I have ordered a few dawn redwood trees that would have existed when dinosaurs roamed the earth. If you have a problem with me giving land back to nature, I truly pity you.

Not that far back, but I have ordered a few dawn redwood trees that would have existed when dinosaurs roamed the earth. If you have a problem with me giving land back to nature, I truly pity you.
I think you are sanctimonious twat that has enough money not to need the land in production and can take that stance but also has the hubris to trash farms and farmers for feeding the world. You are the type that doesn't care about energy or starvation because you don't need to worry about it. Let them eat cake on full display while returning land to nature. The nature you prefer of course. Like a museum

Great article, thanks for sharing. It’s absolutely disgusting what this once great landscape has been reduced too. I’m a proud member of the Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation and have been working hard on transforming most of our 5 acres back to native landscapes. It’s not glamorous work and I won’t get to enjoy the shade from most of the trees I’ve planted, but it’s the most responsible thing I can do for this planet and I hope it inspires others.
Well people need to eat too so lighten up a little….

Reactions: Tfxchawk
Those neighborhoods were beautiful-back in the late 60’s.
But I get your point.

One area of the country that I’d like to see just because I’ve read about how it looked back in the pioneer prairie times is the “heartland”.
@torbee can link you Mississippi cruises cutting right through it.

Farmland in Iowa is only doing a small fraction of what it could to feed the world, which is unfortunate because an entire living system was sacrificed. Around 90% of Iowa's highly-subsidized corn crop is used to produce ethanol and feed livestock. Despite rosier assessments funded by corporate ag dollars, corn-based ethanol probably only breaks even when the energy inputs and other environmental impacts are considered. Feeding livestock crops instead of direct human consumption is also very energetically inefficient, and livestock production comes with another set of environmental problems. And the remaining 10% of the corn crop that is consumed by humans is largely in the form of processed empty calories. It's mind-boggling to think about how many humans Iowa's land could feed sustainably if the goal were to produce large amounts of nutritious food. It's a shame that a once-great landscape was sacrificed for the eventual result of a system of unsustainable, heavily-subsidized corporate agriculture.
Steak is nutritious dude. And delicious.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Those neighborhoods were beautiful-back in the late 60’s.
But I get your point.

One area of the country that I’d like to see just because I’ve read about how it looked back in the pioneer prairie times is the “heartland”.
They had a good segment on this issue on Iowa NPR this morning. They said the last area of Iowa that remains pretty much unspoiled prairie is the Loess Hills out west. So this is basically what it would have looked like in pioneer times, pre-farming:

70849094_10220601109035893_4730024131347611648_o.jpg

prepcanyon.jpg

IA_loess_hills_2002.jpg

I think you are sanctimonious twat that has enough money not to need the land in production and can take that stance but also has the hubris to trash farms and farmers for feeding the world. You are the type that doesn't care about energy or starvation because you don't need to worry about it. Let them eat cake on full display while returning land to nature. The nature you prefer of course. Like a museum
Wow, that was a mouthful. It’s 5 acres with buildings and a house on it! It was never in production. What do you do for the planet or civilization?

How do you feel about chopping down the Amazon rainforest so greedy ranchers can graze there cattle to, as so many like to parrot “feed the world, feed the world”?
You don’t need to answer, I know you don’t care, you’re all about you and the almighty dollar. Sad existence is sad.☹️

I do care, actually. And you’d be surprised at what I DO in fact do to help the environment. And what I have done in the past.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
LOL. OP in this thread.

“How dare you keep your inherited land in farm production! You selfish son of a bitch!”

Someone’s neighbor has a lawn of unkempt weeds.

“Well, they can do what they want.”

Reactions: Kinnick.At.Night
Whatever my kid (no pics) wants to do with it because it would be his in a short amount of time. If it were for me I would like to thinkI would do as the person in the original story.

Don't dodge the question. If you were a young non-farmer with land that could allow you to make a great deal of money annually simply by allowing it to be planted with corn or beans, would you allow it?

Don't dodge the question. If you were a young non-farmer with land that could allow you to make a great deal of money annually simply by allowing it to be planted with corn or beans, would you allow it?
That wasn't a dodge.

Is it at the time I have to decide authentic untouched original prairie land? If so the answer= I would not
If the land was decades upon decades of used acreage probably yes.

And to reiterate, if I had kids it would be their decision after a long and in depth discussion

They had a good segment on this issue on Iowa NPR this morning. They said the last area of Iowa that remains pretty much unspoiled prairie is the Loess Hills out west. So this is basically what it would have looked like in pioneer times, pre-farming:

70849094_10220601109035893_4730024131347611648_o.jpg

prepcanyon.jpg

There is a trail that runs right at the top of the ridge going away from the viewing platform. I know prairie wildflowers pretty well, but we walked it last year amd my mind was blown; I had never before seen half the different flowers blooming all along that ridge. In the picture it just looks like grass, but it's rich with prairie plants. Plus the views are great.

Anyone got background info on what Iowa legislature did to make this process harder?

It doesn’t surprise me, the Iowa GOP is anti-government control unless you’re doing something they don’t like….then they want to be all up in your business…

I’m set to inherit a couple hundred acres of century farmland. OP, I promise you, when the land is mine, instead of renting it out for planting each season and making bank, I’ll let it sit. I will collect no money from it. And, the good Lord willing, my acres will return to beautiful prairie grass. Which, is for the benefit of…..nobody.
There are great prairie restoration programs available depending on where you live. Helped a former coworker do a project 5-6 years ago in Keokuk Co and its incredible what it's become. And it's full of pheasants and quail ;)

Reactions: ClarindaA's
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT