ADVERTISEMENT

Amy Comey Barrett

Hoosierhawkeye

HR King
Sep 16, 2008
Other than being pro life, which of course doesn't bother me, can anyone point to any writings or decisions that should make me afraid?

Is there any indication that she holds a personal loyalty to Trump?

Just curious. I still think there shouldn't be a nomination voted on until after Jan 20.

She supports overturning Roe v. Wade. Unless you want 800,000 back alley abortions, forced birth, constrains on individual liberty, and the erosion of the separation between church and state, this should terrify you. But, she’s young, dumb, and supports 45*, perfect for a MAGAt leaning Supreme Court.

She supports overturning Roe v. Wade. Unless you want 800,000 back alley abortions, forced birth, constrains on individual liberty, and the erosion of the separation between church and state, this should terrify you.

Stop the fear mongering. It'd go back to the states if overturned and my guess is the majority of states would have it legal.

I believe it's Coney Barrett.
She doesn't have much of a legal record, and that's by design. She's decent looking, so that's a plus in her favor. Trump won't nominate an uggo.

All I know about her is that she lives in the area, she was I believe unfairly attacked for her religious faith at her confirmation hearing.

I just mostly want to know if she has principles or not.

Stop the fear mongering. It'd go back to the states if overturned and my guess is the majority of states would have it legal.

No it wouldn’t. It would be a constant struggle in Congress over making it illegal at the federal level. Republicans will continue to run on abortion forever, because they can’t win any other way.

She supports overturning Roe v. Wade. Unless you want 800,000 back alley abortions, forced birth, constrains on individual liberty, and the erosion of the separation between church and state, this should terrify you. But, she’s young, dumb, and supports 45*, perfect for a MAGAt leaning Supreme Court.

I support overturning Roe, so that doesn't terrify me at all.

I am more concerned about her principles. Is she principled like John Robert's or is her conscious captivated by an orange skinned cult leader?

Other than being pro life, which of course doesn't bother me, can anyone point to any writings or decisions that should make me afraid?

Is there any indication that she holds a personal loyalty to Trump?

Just curious. I still think there shouldn't be a nomination voted on until after Jan 20.

She swore a lifelong oath of loyalty to a religious cult. She has written articles in the past stating that judges should recuse themselves from cases that conflict with their faith. There is a legitimate concern that she would make decisions not based on the law, but on her own religious convictions.

She swore a lifelong oath of loyalty to a religious cult. She has written articles in the past stating that judges should recuse themselves from cases that conflict with their faith. There is a legitimate concern that she would make decisions not based on the law, but on her own religious convictions.

Cult?

Reactions: goldmom

I am more concerned about her principles. Is she principled like John Robert's or is her conscious captivated by an orange skinned cult leader?
I realize that. But personal beliefs and constitutional interpretation of the law are two very different things. The ramifications of religious dogma coupled with jurisprudence are ever reaching and, remember, that is a two way street. It’s basically Iran except, instead, it’s christian zealotry.

Come on people. Just because the country is going to hell doesn’t mean there aren’t still rules around here.
Amy_Coney_Barrett.jpg

Women all over America tell you to go eff yourself. It's amazing how much I agree with you on basically every other topic but we are as far apart as we can be on this one. I probably prefer Conservative judges to be honest...but if they eff with women's right to abortion, then I can never support them. If Roe is ever overturned, it will be a shit storm like we haven't seen yet. I support the women fully on this.

Reactions: Torg
Why does that matter?

I think it matters. The majority of people of faith in this country are protestants.

Gorsuch is Episcopalian, but was raised Catholic.

Other than him, there are ZERO protestants on the court. They're all Catholic except for Kagan and Breyer, who are Jewish (which is also disproportionate to the population at large).

Ginsberg was also Jewish.

I think it matters. The majority of people of faith in this country are protestants.

Gorsuch is Episcopalian, but was raised Catholic.

Other than him, there are ZERO protestants on the court. They're all Catholic except for Kagan and Breyer, who are Jewish (which is also disproportionate to the population at large).

Ginsberg was also Jewish.

I don't think any of that matters or should when naming a nominee.

????

If she is saying that judges should recuse themselves that conflict with their faith, what exactly is the problem.

You guys are just making me like her if all you have got is attacks on her religious faith. Her faith honest doesn't bother me, I want to know if she has principles and if so what her principles are. Those are not the same thing.

Reactions: B1G
Women all over America tell you to go eff yourself. It's amazing how much I agree with you on basically every other topic but we are as far apart as we can be on this one. I probably prefer Conservative judges to be honest...but if they eff with women's right to abortion, then I can never support them. If Roe is ever overturned, it will be a shit storm like we haven't seen yet. I support the women fully on this.

You do realize there are plenty of women who are pro life right? It is odd to me that you generate a topic in which the polling shows that the views are not radically divergent by gender.

????

If she is saying that judges should recuse themselves that conflict with their faith, what exactly is the problem.

You guys are just making me like her if all you have got is attacks on her religious faith. Her faith honest doesn't bother me, I want to know if she has principles and if so what her principles are. Those are not the same thing.

If her faith explicitly dictates that she makes decisions based on said faith, then it’s a problem for her role as a jurist.

Trump has one criteria for his pick. Will they be absolutely loyal to him? If she is picked, that is a pivotal redflad that her intent is to protect Trump

If her faith explicitly dictates that she makes decisions based on said faith, then it’s a problem for her role as a jurist.

Or if it requires her to recuse herself from a major portion of the job, like denying death penalty appeals.

You do realize there are plenty of women who are pro life right? It is odd to me that you generate a topic in which the polling shows that the views are not radically divergent by gender.
The vast MAJORITY of women would prefer YOU don't have a say what they do with their own bodies. But nice try though. Hell, I bet women who don't believe in abortions wouldn't want you telling them what they can do. But again, it's well established that you think they are below you.

In all seriousness, unadulterated fundamentalist faith, shows a dearth of critical thinking and sound judgment. Not a good mix for the Supreme Court.

So open minded of you.

Guess we can toss out that whole thing about not having religious tests for public office.

I ask for her principles and all I get is attacks on her faith. That doesn't impress me any more than attacks on AOC's job history.

The vast MAJORITY of women would prefer YOU don't have a say what they do with their own bodies. But nice try though. Hell, I bet women who don't believe in abortions wouldn't want you telling them what they can do. But again, it's well established that you think they are below you.

Well if they want to play it that way I would prefer a vast majority of women not have votes on military policy unless they served since they never signed up for selective service.

But I think the only ones who have a problem with me having an opinion on abortion are the far left nuts.

• Haha
Reactions: Wendy79
So open minded of you.

Guess we can toss out that whole thing about not having religious tests for public office.

I ask for her principles and all I get is attacks on her faith. That doesn't impress me any more than attacks on AOC's job history.
Do you understand the difference between faith and fundamentalism? One is unbending and rooted in extremism the other recognizes fallibility in ones own beliefs. It’s a distinct difference. It’s frightening you believe your faith should override thoughtful interpretation of the constitution. Unless of course, you want the US to become Iran.

Except she says that if that is the case a judge should recuse themselves.

How again is this a problem?

Do you understand the difference between faith and fundamentalism? One is unbending and rooted in extremism the other recognizes fallibility in ones own beliefs. It’s a distinct difference. It’s frightening you believe your faith should override thoughtful interpretation of the constitution. Unless of course, you want the US to become Iran.

I didn't say my faith should override thoughtful interpretation, and I am pretty sure she didn't either.

ADVERTISEMENT