ADVERTISEMENT

Amy Comey Barrett

And you believe that she would?

I don't know if she would or not, that is why I am trying to get a handle on her principles. Does she have the principles to follow that conviction? Or is she completely unprincipled.

I am more afraid of an unprincipled person than someone with principles I might disagree with. That is part of why the Republicans are so dangerous, they have become unprincipled on pretty much any matter.

You realize you basically admitted that what she said was correct right?

I don't know if she would or not, that is why I am trying to get a handle on her principles. Does she have the principles to follow that conviction?

You realize you basically admitted that what she said was correct right?

She specifically addressed whether judges of the Catholic faith should recuse themselves from cases involving the death penalty in 2017.

Barrett was asked how she would apply that same standard to judges who believe abortion is “always immoral.” Barrett said she’s never analyzed that question. That’s a non-answer.

So...to this point, she has only specifically addressed cases related to the death penalty. Based on her membership in the People of Praise (including their loyalty oaths), her views on precedent, her belief that Chief Justice Roberts provided a lifeline to the ACA that she believes wasn’t warranted, etc. there is enough smoke for me to be concerned about what she broadly represents.

She specifically addressed whether judges of the Catholic faith should recuse themselves from cases involving the death penalty in 2017.

Barrett was asked how she would apply that same standard to judges who believe abortion is “always immoral.” Barrett said she’s never analyzed that question. That’s a non-answer.

So...to this point, she has only specifically addressed cases related to the death penalty. Based on her membership in the People of Praise (including their loyalty oaths), her views on precedent, her belief that Chief Justice Roberts provided a lifeline to the ACA that she believes wasn’t warranted, etc. there is enough smoke for me to be concerned about what she broadly represents.

Fair enough, assuming that is all true and in context it gives me a better handle on her principles. And I agree there is enough there to be concerned.

Fair enough, assuming that is all true and in context it gives me a better handle on her principles. And I agree there is enough there to be concerned.

You’re a reasonable poster, Hoosier. Wish there were more like you.

You’re a reasonable poster, Hoosier. Wish there were more like you.

Appreciate that. Just got tired of all the talk about how she's a hardcore Catholic as though that's the reason to hate her.

My concern is mostly that if she comes out and says that she is against "legislating from the bench" that she holds true to that no matter what the case is. Roberts IMO is principled in that area, while many other of the right wing justices are not.

As far as Roe, I would love to see it go. Not only because I view it's effects as a massive human rights violation, but I also find the legal reasoning behind it to be ridiculous.

There are other decisions that I agree with the effects but disagree with the legal reasoning behind them. Hodges would be one. Possibly the electorial college one we had recently.

I would have to look if there are decisions that I disagree with the effects but agree with the legal reasoning. I do imagine they exist though. Citizens United might be one but I don't know enough to be certain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coronavirus186
The vast MAJORITY of women would prefer YOU don't have a say what they do with their own bodies. But nice try though. Hell, I bet women who don't believe in abortions wouldn't want you telling them what they can do. But again, it's well established that you think they are below you.

Just say it, you hate Hoosier now

If her faith explicitly dictates that she makes decisions based on said faith, then it’s a problem for her role as a jurist.
I agree with this, and I'm Catholic. A specific religion and any tenets specific to that faith cannot dictate the actions of the Court or those who are on the Court.

She supports overturning Roe v. Wade. Unless you want 800,000 back alley abortions, forced birth, constrains on individual liberty, and the erosion of the separation between church and state, this should terrify you. But, she’s young, dumb, and supports 45*, perfect for a MAGAt leaning Supreme Court.

Misinfo. Many if not most states have already passed laws permitting abortions...or will. People ought not relate to overturning Roe v Wade as banning abortion. It meres returns the choice to the states.

Misinfo. Many if not most states have already passed laws permitting abortions...or will. People ought not relate to overturning Roe v Wade as banning abortion. It meres returns the choice to the states.

To be fair a few states have laws in place that effectively make abortion illegal should Roe be overturned.

But in many states nothing would change.

Reactions: Nipigu
Trump isn’t going to start an abortion argument on the eve of an election and risk offending women.

My prediction; He’s going to nominate Barbara Lagoa.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
She swore a lifelong oath of loyalty to a religious cult. She has written articles in the past stating that judges should recuse themselves from cases that conflict with their faith. There is a legitimate concern that she would make decisions not based on the law, but on her own religious convictions.

My Persian friends didn’t have great things to say about living in a theocracy. That’s why their families moved here. It was good while it lasted, praise be to our lord and savior Jesus Christ.

I remember being this Naive

Reactions: Moral
I agree with this, and I'm Catholic. A specific religion and any tenets specific to that faith cannot dictate the actions of the Court or those who are on the Court.
It’s the oath thing for me. Any judge that is in any group that requires an oath scares me.

Reactions: Wendy79 and Moral
Trump has said he will pick a woman. Have I missed the posts from any of the people who criticized Biden for stating he’d pick a woman VP?

Reactions: billanole
Other than being pro life, which of course doesn't bother me, can anyone point to any writings or decisions that should make me afraid?

Is there any indication that she holds a personal loyalty to Trump?

Just curious. I still think there shouldn't be a nomination voted on until after Jan 20.
Does she hope that people she works with get sick if they might not think the same way she does?

"In September 2017, The New York Times reported that Barrett was a member of a small, tightly knit Charismatic Christian group called People of Praise;[72] its members make an important personal commitmant to one another[73] and are assigned a personal advisor (a "head") who gives direction on important personal decisions."

Creepy. So, she is some sort of "handmaid"....
No way would I want her. Justice Lagoa is a Cuban-American who served on the Florida Supreme Court.

All the middle aged white males arguing for women's right to abortion on social media... Do you all show your sig others your posts afterwards to get some brownie points? Bleeping weirdos.

Except she says that if that is the case a judge should recuse themselves.

How again is this a problem?
It’s a problem because then, according to her anyway, she would necessarily have to recuse herself from any abortion related cases. And then what’s the point.

It's rather comical that Trump is now on record of saying the next nominee will be a woman. Is he taking Biden's lead in trying to appeal to a certain MAJOR voting bloc?

Trump's campaign reeks of desperation. Cause they were an awlful lot of mens' names on his original list of twenty?

Roughly a third of the population in the US is Catholic. One hundred years ago a Catholic couldn't even be nominated. Al Smith lost the Presidency because his Catholic faith was an issue. Sixty years ago John F. Kennedy had to overcome ignorance and rumors that he would have an actual direct line from the Vatican installed in the White House.
There were two Jewish Justices on the court. Two of nine, which is an over representation when you find out that they comprise about 2-3% of our population. Do I care? Not one bit.
Three of nine - until RBG PASSED - were female. Yet we make up a little over half the population. Do I care about that? Maybe a little, but I care FAR more that any President will have the foresight to nominate supremely (pun intended) qualified and experienced jurists. What they do or where they go on a Sabbath is of no interest to me.

It's rather comical that Trump is now on record of saying the next nominee will be a woman. Is he taking Biden's lead in trying to appeal to a certain MAJOR voting bloc?

Trump's campaign reeks of desperation. Cause they were an awlful lot of mens' names on his original list of twenty?
I think it's actually more of replacing a woman with a woman.

Reactions: MitchLL
Women all over America tell you to go eff yourself. It's amazing how much I agree with you on basically every other topic but we are as far apart as we can be on this one. I probably prefer Conservative judges to be honest...but if they eff with women's right to abortion, then I can never support them. If Roe is ever overturned, it will be a shit storm like we haven't seen yet. I support the women fully on this.
Well at least you’re on record now and that’s the important thing right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT