ADVERTISEMENT

An Afghan soldier fleeing the Taliban spent months reaching the U.S. to request asylum. He was arrested at the Texas border.

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
This kind of sucks...

DEL RIO — Two brothers stand across from each other at the Val Verde Correctional Facility in this border city, speaking reverently through the fixed telephones. They are separated by the visiting room’s thick glass partition, too energized to sit.

One brother, Abdul Wasi Safi, wears an inmate’s bright orange uniform. The other brother, Sami-ullah Safi, wears a blue blazer, jeans and a look of determination to bring his brother home safely.

About 18 months ago, Abdul Wasi Safi, whose family calls him Wasi, was a newly minted officer in Afghanistan’s special forces, working alongside U.S. troops to combat the Taliban in the longest U.S. military engagement in its history.

Just three months later, the U.S. abruptly exited the country. The Taliban — an Islamic fundamentalist group — took control of the country and began hunting down those who had helped the Americans.

Over the course of the conflict there, the U.S. issued special visas to more than 34,000 Afghans who qualified for various reasons — including Sami, who in 2015 moved to Houston. Sami, 29, had been working side by side with the U.S. military as an interpreter for special forces in Afghanistan. For years, he traveled between the two countries and in July 2021 was granted full U.S. citizenship.

But thousands like Wasi, 26, who had helped U.S. forces — but were not paid by the U.S. government — were left behind with few options to escape. With a Taliban target on their backs, many went into hiding as reports of revenge killings grew.

When it was clear Wasi could not get a visa, he went into hiding with his parents and eight other siblings before setting out on a harrowing journey halfway around the world that led to a jail cell more than 12,000 miles from his home.

“It was unfair, unjust, for the U.S. military to leave all the people who put their lives on the line working for the military and in the end leaving them to be slaughtered by the Taliban and closing their eyes on them,” Sami said. “Pretending nothing happened. People have done so much.”

You’re GD right. We do this shit over and over to the people who help us most.

“It was unfair, unjust, for the U.S. military to leave all the people who put their lives on the line working for the military and in the end leaving them to be slaughtered by the Taliban and closing their eyes on them,”

“It was unfair, unjust, for the U.S. military to leave all the people who put their lives on the line working for the military and in the end leaving them to be slaughtered by the Taliban and closing their eyes on them,”
I mean, weren't WE helping THEM, and not the other way around??

Exactly. Pisses me off. Why would anyone believe us anymore?

Then the twist of lime in the story is that we try to block Afghan immigration to the US if they are lucky enough to survive the Taliban.

I do not understand this.

The US military and State Dept might disagree that it wasn't part of our mission there.

"Every American who contributed to our efforts shared a deep devotion to keeping our country safe, working toward a brighter future for the Afghan people, and standing up for liberty, democracy, and the rule of law."

"The U.S. has undertaken significant efforts in coordination with the international community to assist the Afghan people during a period of humanitarian and economic catastrophe."

"The United States has advanced efforts to provide lifesaving humanitarian assistance and help fulfill the basic needs of Afghans in the priority areas of food security/agriculture, health, and education."

I get that our primary purpose there may have been to hunt terrorists, but I think it's fair to say that the Afghan people got something out of the deal too, and that as a whole their lives were improved. The problem is that they weren't interested in figuring out how to defend their country on their own. So you get soldiers like Wasi that, instead of being in Afghanistan and fighting to make his country a better, safer place for future generations, decided to come over here and try to sneak in. Should there be a WAY better way for people to immigrate? Sure, but the lack of a better process doesn't entitle him - just like any other illegal immigrant - from having to follow the rules.

The ones that worked with the US were helping the US help them :)

A lot more US personnel would have died without our Afghan allies.
I agree with that. I also think the opposite is true: that a lot more Afghans would have died without the US being there. So, to me, we're all square.

The US military and State Dept might disagree that it wasn't part of our mission there.

"Every American who contributed to our efforts shared a deep devotion to keeping our country safe, working toward a brighter future for the Afghan people, and standing up for liberty, democracy, and the rule of law."

"The U.S. has undertaken significant efforts in coordination with the international community to assist the Afghan people during a period of humanitarian and economic catastrophe."

"The United States has advanced efforts to provide lifesaving humanitarian assistance and help fulfill the basic needs of Afghans in the priority areas of food security/agriculture, health, and education."

I get that our primary purpose there may have been to hunt terrorists, but I think it's fair to say that the Afghan people got something out of the deal too, and that as a whole their lives were improved. The problem is that they weren't interested in figuring out how to defend their country on their own. So you get soldiers like Wasi that, instead of being in Afghanistan and fighting to make his country a better, safer place for future generations, decided to come over here and try to sneak in. Should there be a WAY better way for people to immigrate? Sure, but the lack of a better process doesn't entitle him - just like any other illegal immigrant - from having to follow the rules.

I think blaming people like this guy is just trying to feel better about invading a country and killing a lot of people and then abandoning them and leaving them worse off than before we invaded.

Reactions: fsu1jreed and Ree4
I agree with that. I also think the opposite is true: that a lot more Afghans would have died without the US being there. So, to me, we're all square.
Respectfully disagree. With a track record like this we'll have a hard time getting anyone to trust our word in future military engagements.....

Reactions: hwk23
I think blaming people like this guy is just trying to feel better about invading a country and killing a lot of people and then abandoning them and leaving them worse off than before we invaded.
I don't get the part about them being worse off. It didn't have to be that way. We spent the last 20 years helping them learn how to be an army and fight, and the second we leave they all freak out and abandon everything. I think it was as much the Afghan military's unwillingness to fight and defend itself that created a huge "power void" and allowed the Taliban to quickly assume political/practical control of the entire country.

It's hard not to blame them when they completely bailed on protecting their own country, even after decades of training and equipment that was provided. At some point you have to stand up and fight for yourself. See also: Mexico and the cartels, African nations and their warlords, etc. Instead if being bailed out by the rest of the world, be the change you want to see for your own country!

Reactions: kcnole63
Respectfully disagree. With a track record like this we'll have a hard time getting anyone to trust our word in future military engagements.....
Maybe you're right, but did they think we just intended to be there in perpetuity? Isn't it unreasonable to think we'd come and be their military for them, and never leave? There had to be some end point, and I don't know that killing every last bad guy ever was going to be that end point. I don't think we necessarily exited the right way, but we did have to eventually exit. And I don't think it's fair that we'd be expected to take every person (military or civilian) who helped us over the preceding 20 years with us when we left. Afghans need to be there fighting for Afghanistan.

Stay tuned ......

Denise Gilman, the director of the immigration clinic at the University of Texas School of Law, said it’s likely that after his criminal charges are sorted out, Wasi will be able to receive an asylum hearing. But it’s possible that he could also be deported back to Afghanistan or kept in immigration detention indefinitely.

If he doesn’t plead guilty,
his trial date is set for Dec. 20 in Del Rio.

This kind of sucks...

DEL RIO — Two brothers stand across from each other at the Val Verde Correctional Facility in this border city, speaking reverently through the fixed telephones. They are separated by the visiting room’s thick glass partition, too energized to sit.

One brother, Abdul Wasi Safi, wears an inmate’s bright orange uniform. The other brother, Sami-ullah Safi, wears a blue blazer, jeans and a look of determination to bring his brother home safely.

About 18 months ago, Abdul Wasi Safi, whose family calls him Wasi, was a newly minted officer in Afghanistan’s special forces, working alongside U.S. troops to combat the Taliban in the longest U.S. military engagement in its history.

Just three months later, the U.S. abruptly exited the country. The Taliban — an Islamic fundamentalist group — took control of the country and began hunting down those who had helped the Americans.

Over the course of the conflict there, the U.S. issued special visas to more than 34,000 Afghans who qualified for various reasons — including Sami, who in 2015 moved to Houston. Sami, 29, had been working side by side with the U.S. military as an interpreter for special forces in Afghanistan. For years, he traveled between the two countries and in July 2021 was granted full U.S. citizenship.

But thousands like Wasi, 26, who had helped U.S. forces — but were not paid by the U.S. government — were left behind with few options to escape. With a Taliban target on their backs, many went into hiding as reports of revenge killings grew.

When it was clear Wasi could not get a visa, he went into hiding with his parents and eight other siblings before setting out on a harrowing journey halfway around the world that led to a jail cell more than 12,000 miles from his home.

“It was unfair, unjust, for the U.S. military to leave all the people who put their lives on the line working for the military and in the end leaving them to be slaughtered by the Taliban and closing their eyes on them,” Sami said. “Pretending nothing happened. People have done so much.”

The US has been doing this exact shit for decades (along with a lot of other things) and we wonder why folks overseas don't like us.

Reactions: goldmom
Maybe you're right, but did they think we just intended to be there in perpetuity? Isn't it unreasonable to think we'd come and be their military for them, and never leave? There had to be some end point, and I don't know that killing every last bad guy ever was going to be that end point. I don't think we necessarily exited the right way, but we did have to eventually exit. And I don't think it's fair that we'd be expected to take every person (military or civilian) who helped us over the preceding 20 years with us when we left. Afghans need to be there fighting for Afghanistan.

This article explains it pretty well...right or wrong we made promises to get people to work with us.

OMAHA, Neb. — The pitch was well practiced by the time they reached Sen. Deb Fischer’s Omaha district office. “I’m only alive talking to you today,” Army veteran Matt Zeller explained to the two-term Republican’s staffer, “because my Afghan interpreter shot and killed these two Taliban fighters who were about to kill me in a battle 14 years ago.” The woman, dressed in a leopard-print top and wearing a slight frown, listened silently from behind a plexiglass security partition.

It was day eight, mile No. 1,240, of a cross-country road trip hastily organized to win over Republican senators. At stake: a stagnating effort to permanently resettle tens of thousands of Afghans brought to the United States when America’s longest war came to a catastrophic end last year. But with Congress preparing to adjourn for the year, and temporary permission for the evacuees to be in the country nearing an end, Zeller said time was running out.
He and his three partners — another former soldier, James Powers, Navy reservist Safi Rauf and his brother Zabih needed the support of seven Republican senators to get the Afghan Adjustment Act passed. It was not just the right thing to do, Zeller said. America made a promise to these Afghans: “We got to finish this mission.”

The woman behind the glass asked them to write down their contact information and promised she would relay the message to colleagues in Washington. A success, the group concluded, thanking her as they saw themselves out. The four men said they were hopeful. A spokesman for Fischer declined to comment on the meeting, or disclose her position on the legislation.
Last year, lawmakers from both political parties assailed the Biden administration for its handling of the withdrawal. Fischer was among the Republicans who, at the time, implored the White House to do more to protect America’s Afghan allies, saying she was working aggressively to help people escape the Taliban takeover. “The United States made a promise to these brave Afghans. If you work with us, we said, then we will take care of you and your family,” she said as the airlift operation came to an end.

The US has been doing this exact shit for decades (along with a lot of other things) and we wonder why folks overseas don't like us.

Probably from our constant meddling over there.

We couldn't be expected to stay in Afghanistan forever. Getting out was the one thing Trump pushed for that I agreed with, although the manners and time tables he set to do so were problematic. Should Biden have altered those and done a slower draw down? Likely. At the same time, as others have said, the Afghanistan military who we trained for 20 years refused to stand up to the Taliban once we did leave. Like Ukraine is doing, you either fight for a better tomorrow, or you forfeit it. We can't be expected to do it all for you.

I asked the question, because you made the claim. I guess you can’t produce. Not surprising for a right winger though. Oh, that’s right, your middle of the road. 😂
Says the guy that voted for Trump, you POS. Thanks for ruining this country.

As others have mentioned, it a bipartisan failure going back well into the last century. More recently, the Biden administration failed the Afghani allies; the Trump administration abandoned the Kurdish allies.

Anyone that was our Allie in Afghanistan is either dead or on the run. Nobody will, or should, trust the US again.

It could be worse. We could still be over there. 20 years wasn't enough apparently.

Coming in through Mexico and seeking asylum in the US? I would say no. He passed through how many other countries first?

I agree,.. When you're drowning you don't get to choose the color of the life preserver you get...

And meanwhile all the Afghan women are still better off than they were before the 21st century came by for a visit...🖕

Coming in through Mexico and seeking asylum in the US? I would say no. He passed through how many other countries first?

I agree,.. When you're drowning you don't get to choose the color of the life preserver you get...

I don't think there's a whole lot of direct flights coming from Afghanistan these days.

That's what I thought.
Thx for confirming...
No problem… though I feel like you feel that’s a bad thing.

parks-and-rec-ron-swanson.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT