ADVERTISEMENT

An Idaho ‘no-masker’ pastor prayed against a mask mandate. He’s now in intensive care for covid-19.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
When coronavirus cases began increasing in Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, in late July, Pastor Paul Van Noy prayed with his congregation that the city council would not pass a mask mandate.
“I don’t want to be told I have to wear a mask,” he said at the lectern. “We’re adults and we don’t need the government to tell us what to do.”

A little over a month later, he and his wife contracted the virus and he has landed in the hospital’s intensive care unit struggling to breathe, he said in a statement this week.
“I haven’t taken this Covid seriously enough,” his wife, Brenda, said on Facebook Sept. 4, shortly after her husband was admitted to the ICU.
A self-proclaimed “no-masker,” Van Noy told the worshipers gathered at Candlelight Christian Fellowship on July 22 that his first inclination was to resist complying with a local mask ordinance. After some consideration, he said the congregation was bound by the Bible to follow any ordinance requiring masks passed by their local leaders — but he prayed it would not come to that.
AD

ADVERTISING

On July 23, the Panhandle Health District’s Board of Health, which includes the county where Coeur d’Alene lies, did pass an order requiring adults to wear face coverings in public places where six feet of distance cannot be easily maintained. Idaho has reported nearly 36,500 cases and 434 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
But the next day, Van Noy assured his congregation that they did not have to wear masks in his church, in part because the order allowed for some medical exemptions and did not require people to prove those conditions.
“We at Candlelight are exercising our freedom, and the right to allow you as members, to come into the facilities without the obligation to observe the Panhandle Health District ‘order,’” he wrote on Facebook July 24.

In his sermons and Facebook posts, Van Noy argued that while the coronavirus pandemic was not a hoax, hospitalization and case numbers were being inflated by unnamed people with “agendas.” He shared a post that urged his followers to “open up your businesses, churches, and homes.” He spread false statements suggesting masks are not effective at preventing coronavirus from spreading and claiming that asymptomatic infections are rare.
AD

“If you are still living in fear, don’t be,” an Aug. 14 post said.
“If a person wants to wear a mask they should be allowed to do so,” he said in another post. “However, if they don’t, that’s ok too.”

White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows on Sept. 17 said while masks mitigate the spread of the virus, they do not actually ensure there is no virus spread. (The Washington Post)
Weeks later, Van Noy fell ill. He and his wife tested positive for the novel coronavirus, according to a statement released by the church this week. Van Noy’s health deteriorated with what his wife called a “Covid storm in Paul’s lungs.” The Van Noys have not said publicly where they were exposed to the virus.
“Praying for a miracle,” she wrote.
By Sept. 3, the pastor was in the intensive care unit receiving oxygen while he battled to breathe.
“I’m humbled,” she wrote on Sept. 4. “I have Covid and some of my friends have Covid now but more seriously my husband is in critical care in ICU with Covid and it is serious. Please take this serious.”
AD

On Monday, he expressed optimism that his condition was improving.
“Having been in the ICU now for 11 days … and counting, I am really starting to turn the corner — for the better,” Paul Van Noy said on Monday. “They tell me it will be a few more days in ICU and then I will move back to a regular room for a couple of days and then to recover at home.”
His wife did not have to be hospitalized, Van Noy said. At least four other church staff also tested positive for the virus, KHQ reported.

Video shows a July 15 confrontation between Rev. Robert Turner, pastor of Vernon AME Church, and anti-mask protesters outside Tulsa City Hall. (Robert Turner Ministries)
Van Noy is far from the only religious leader to oppose local mask mandates and coronavirus closures that temporarily shuttered houses of worship in some hard-hit areas of the United States.

Another pastor made headlines after he flouted local restrictions to hold church services in Ventura County, Calif. Godspeak Calvary Chapel in Newbury Park was fined $3,000 by state officials for holding six indoor services in August. A judge found Pastor Rob McCoy in contempt of the statewide order that barred indoor religious services because of the pandemic.
Van Noy and the Candlelight Christian Fellowship has invited McCoy and one of his followers, Turning Point USA founder Charlie Kirk, to speak at the Idaho church on Sept. 27.
“Charlie and Rob work to make sense of what the church’s proper role in America can and should be in the face of increasing opposition and cultural animosity,” the Candlelight Christian Fellowship said on its event page.

giphy.gif

If God is real and so is heaven, I hope when people like this get up there God is like “Hey DIPSHIT - I gave humans big brains and the ability to apply logic for a REASON!”
God Will Save Me

A terrible storm came into a town and local officials sent out an emergency warning that the riverbanks would soon overflow and flood the nearby homes. They ordered everyone in the town to evacuate immediately.

A faithful Christian man heard the warning and decided to stay, saying to himself, “I will trust God and if I am in danger, then God will send a divine miracle to save me.”

The neighbors came by his house and said to him, “We’re leaving and there is room for you in our car, please come with us!” But the man declined. “I have faith that God will save me.”

As the man stood on his porch watching the water rise up the steps, a man in a canoe paddled by and called to him, “Hurry and come into my canoe, the waters are rising quickly!” But the man again said, “No thanks, God will save me.”

The floodwaters rose higher pouring water into his living room and the man had to retreat to the second floor. A police motorboat came by and saw him at the window. “We will come up and rescue you!” they shouted. But the man refused, waving them off saying, “Use your time to save someone else! I have faith that God will save me!”

The flood waters rose higher and higher and the man had to climb up to his rooftop.

A helicopter spotted him and dropped a rope ladder. A rescue officer came down the ladder and pleaded with the man, "Grab my hand and I will pull you up!" But the man STILL refused, folding his arms tightly to his body. “No thank you! God will save me!”

Shortly after, the house broke up and the floodwaters swept the man away and he drowned.

When in Heaven, the man stood before God and asked, “I put all of my faith in You. Why didn’t You come and save me?”

And God said, “Son, I sent you a warning. I sent you a car. I sent you a canoe. I sent you a motorboat. I sent you a helicopter. What more were you looking for?”

Coming from someone that never wears a mask....these people are dumb.

I don't get articles like this or posting them?

Do we need to also post ones about those doing "everything right" and still getting it? They are out there.

We need to quit wasting our medical resources on these idiots.

Make a database of those who won't mask up; perfect opp for facial recognition software.
You don't get any medical resources for Covid. Ride it out.

There can never be too many threads of influential MAGAts getting what’s coming to them.

There can never be too many threads of influential MAGAts getting what’s coming to them.
Yeah...... go with that....

I will never understand this theology. God will protect me so I don't have to worry and can be totally reckless because I wanna. So does that mean that God doesn't protect the infant that was killed in the car accident or the one who got cancer? Nice.

HEY FOLKS THIS GUY DIDNT BELIEVE IN THE COVID THEN THE COVID GOT'EM LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I wonder how many people he directly and indirectly infected.

But the next day, Van Noy assured his congregation that they did not have to wear masks in his church, in part because the order allowed for some medical exemptions and did not require people to prove those conditions.
“We at Candlelight are exercising our freedom, and the right to allow you as members, to come into the facilities without the obligation to observe the Panhandle Health District ‘order,’” he wrote on Facebook July 24.

BTW - if Trump would have said this virus is deadly and to wear your f'ing mask - would this guy be well today rather than suffering a possibly horribly paintful death?

My Dad always tells the fable(?) about the man who prayed every night to win the lottery.

After two or three years of this, God came to him in a vision and whispered into his ear: "My son, you gotta buy a ticket!"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT