ADVERTISEMENT

An unbelievable screw job

Stumbled on to the women’s game at Purdue and holy living crap are the gals getting absolutely jobbed by the officiating. Just horrible officiating.

Agree. Gustafson fouls out.

And then down one with 11 seconds to go and the shot clock at 5 seconds, refs call an off the ball intentional foul on Iowa. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.

Ah, life on the road in the B1G. Megan gets four fouls without touching anyone. Then she finally does foul - runs over a girl - and they call it on Hannah (at least until the call comes in that Hannah was actually five feet away from the play).

Last edited:
Reactions: JAMAM
Stewart fouled out by literally not being involved anywhere near the play in question. She was in defensive position with her back turned. Didn't come close to touching anyone.

Reactions: JAMAM
Agree. Gustafson fouls out.

And then down one with 11 seconds to go and the shot clock at 5 seconds, refs call an off the ball intentional foul on Iowa. Weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.
Bluder made the right call and Amanda did exactly what she was told to do - perfectly actually. Foul the worst shooter off the ball. Didn't use two hands. Didn't push aggressively. Really just impeded the player's progress. Unsportsmanlike ONLY because it was off the ball? That's not a thing.

Besides the bad calls I don't understand any of the coaches (Lisa) running the time clock down to 5 sec and taking a bad shot. In most cases it would be very easy to take a shot at about 40 sec. and then get a second one to end the quarter or half. Go two for one. Really mind boggling on this type of thought process, then they take a crap shot to end the shot clock at 25 seconds and the other team gets the last shot with plenty of time to set up a good play????

Reactions: DewHawk
Lisa made some head-scratching moves, and the girls at times rebounded like their shoes were nailed to the floor, but the officiating was junior-high level, at best.

Reactions: Y2KG21 and DewHawk
I thought the officiating was terrible last night and most nights at womens games. The female lastg night made very few calls. The white guy was bad but the black guy ref was terrible. He's the one who made most of the terrible calls against us down the stretch.
We should have won that game by 10. I didn't understand why the girl who Olinger fouled didn't have to be the one who shot the foul shots. The refs decided this game all 4th quarter. Making a call from the base line when another ref was 10 feet away from the foul didn't call it was wrong and then after reviewing the play on tv and huddling up they come up with 2 free throws for Purdue's best free throw shooter and then they get the ball was a game killer. Final score doesn't indicate the real game .
That man on Purdue's team (Lewis) needs to be tested just to make sure.
Lisa needs to have a couple of big girls on the bench that can play and she needs guards with some speed. We have the shortest, slowest guards you can get with Davis and Sevillian. Ideally, Meyer would come off the bench and only play when she is hitting her shots.
I really enjoy watching Gustafson play. I wish the refs would have let her play last night.

Bluder made the right call and Amanda did exactly what she was told to do - perfectly actually. Foul the worst shooter off the ball. Didn't use two hands. Didn't push aggressively. Really just impeded the player's progress. Unsportsmanlike ONLY because it was off the ball? That's not a thing.
I thought the same thing. when did a foul off the ball become intentional/technical?????

I thought the same thing. when did a foul off the ball become intentional/technical?????

And when was the last time you saw an intentional foul called on anyone? I think it's been years since I've seen one called, even though we all know that's what's happening at the end of tight games.

They women definitely got jobbed for sure. Although they were up 8 late and let it get away. Something else i noticed, they really miss a jamie dixson type, a knock down shooter from outside.

Yep....they really miss Melissa Dixon, too.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Melissa Printy? ;)

Didn’t see the game, but I do find women’s basketball to be tough to watch because of the bad officiating. Somehow they tend to destroy the flow of the game.

I stand corrected..my bad. Although that does make that particular call last night even more of a head scratcher.

Agreed, and then the announcers commented after the official explained it to them that it was because of the "distance the foul was from the ball". So had she been 5' closer to the ball the world continues to turn? Seriously?
Amanda didn't do anything dirty or cheap. It was a foul that was totally strategic which in end-of-game scenarios happen...oh, I don't know...ALWAYS! So the officials get together and chat about it for a few minutes and decide that was the call?
Which I would like to see the 5th foul on MG again....the one they tried to give to everyone including the bus driver. It appears a legal screen was set, she legally tried to get through/around it, and the girl fell. Just because someone hits the deck doesn't mean a whistle has to blow.
I understand officials are harder to find these days, but the B1G should be embarrassed that they have people like that doing games at that level.

Reactions: Hawk24
Typical of playing at Purdue. Always getting homered there.
The things that the B1G officials let go in the post against Megan would lead to assault charges off the court.

Stumbled on to the women’s game at Purdue and holy living crap are the gals getting absolutely jobbed by the officiating. Just horrible officiating.
Watched the whole game and they definitely were very bad and bias officials. But, the women perimeter players were inconsistent as usual. Without MG this is a very pedestrian team. Not good for the near future prospects after this year.

Reactions: BDinIC
I watched the game, but Meyer and Davis 2 for 21 isn't going to get it done. If they shoot even 7 or 8 for 21, that another 10-15 points. Too inconsistent form the guards most of the games so far.

Scoring 57 points definitely was not Iowa's style. Not surprising that they lost. Although, they were up 6 or 8 points midway through the 4th quarter and let the game slip away. There would not have been any of the late game controversies if they could just play composed down the stretch.

BS. If they score or you foul the wrong person it’s over.
These refs were just itching to call a touch-foul., and Purdue is going to have the ball in the hands of a good free-throw shooter. And IF a foul isn't called, then you have to get the rebound. If there's a scramble at all, then more seconds are lost. Fouling a terrible foul shooter (less than 50%) off the ball was absolutely the correct call. Worst-case scenario, player uncharacteristically makes both, and you still have a chance to tie. Well, I suppose worst-case scenario is ref invents a rule and Purdue's best free-throw shooter ends up shooting the free-throws anyway....I guess Bluder should have anticipated that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
The 5th foul on Megan was BS. Oden started to flop before the contact. Megan simply turned. Purdue players coached to cheat. And the intentional foul the player was out of bounds and then runs at Amanda's outstretched arm. Final foul the Purdue player initiatives contact with Megan. Even the BTN announcer saw it

BS. If they score or you foul the wrong person it’s over.

If you’re going to foul do it right away, not after taking the clock down. The point of fouling is to extend the game. Even if that whole scenario happens with 35 seconds left we still have a shot. With 10 seconds, not so much

If you’re going to foul do it right away, not after taking the clock down. The point of fouling is to extend the game. Even if that whole scenario happens with 35 seconds left we still have a shot. With 10 seconds, not so much

The point of fouling was to get the ball back

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT